Bizarre

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ajcstr, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

It is still amazing to me how many people use their address bar as a search tool. A sure way, IMO, to wind up on the wrong site and d\l a wrong\bad program.

2. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

I normally use download.com - have not had an issue yet

Anyway, my friend reinstalled the OS and he is back up and running at last report. Guess what really happened will remain a mystery

3. XDD

XDD Registered Member

Yes, you can do it fairly easily, (with xp anyways) you will only need the xp cd and a pen and paper... install the Recovery Console, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive.
    2. Click Start, and then click Run.
    3. In the Open box, type d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons where d is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive. In the case of 'Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, type d:\amd64\winnt32.exe /cmdcons where d is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive.
    4. A Windows Setup Dialog Box appears. The Windows Setup Dialog Box describes the Recovery Console option. To confirm the installation, click Yes.
    5. Restart the computer. The next time that you start your computer, "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" appears on the startup menu.

When you get to the recovery console follow these instructions.

* Type CD\ then Enter
    * Then cd system~1\_resto~1 then Enter
    * Type dir then Enter

When you hit enter it will list all the restore points folders like rp1, rp2 …….. If the restore points have more than one page then u have to keep on hitting the <Enter> key to view the last restore point folder. You will have to choose the second to last option folder

* Type cd rp {the second to the last restore point no. } (Note: Example: cd rp9, if rp9 is the second to the last restore point where the last restore point no. is 10
    * Then type cd snapshot

Now the command prompt will look like this c:\system~1\_resto~1\rp9\snapshot

* Type: copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
    * Press enter
    * Then type: copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software

Then type exit

4. XDD

XDD Registered Member

Obviously you will not be able to install the rec console from windows but you can access it from booting off the xp cd by selecting the repair option.
    here is a link for vista users...
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ccount-in-windows-vista-using-system-restore/

there are also alot of diff ways to reset an admin password... I have a winternals boot disk that will let me do it or theres also diff linux bootdisks you can make

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.