BitTorrent question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i haven't ever used BitTorrent and i think i want to try it. which one should i use? i found BitComet what do you think of that version? thank you :)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It is really up to the individual as to whether they use P2P or not but I know several people that do use several different torrent apps and they are always getting some sort of malware from it. It just isn't for me, I have had to fix to many computers that had some sort of torent P2P installed. It might not have been the problem everytime but I am sure it did it's fair share.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks BigC, i think i'll give it a miss then. i have got and used afew times Limewire, but i am always very careful with it, so far so good. but, as i said it has only been used 3/4 times. maybe i should uninstall it? what do you think? i know it's up to me, but i'd like to hear what you think too. thanks.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

My stepson had limewire and we had to clean out over ninty trojans and other malwares less than a month ago. I don't have a very high regard for P2P.

5. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    Bitcomet is safe and clean. my children are using it(no spyware/adware or the like). they have zip versions too (no installer)

6. hadi

hadi Guest

7. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

I have also heard many negative things about p2p but in 2 years of using Bittorrent and Irc have only gotten 1 Trojan and that was very early on in my downloading experience. I have always found BT to be very good; I use BitTornado from Degreez but there are many other clients. A lot use Azureus (I never have) but have heard that its quite heavy on resources. I find Limewire to be quite good also. They're all the same as anything else on the web, eg never open an exe.

8. hadi

hadi Guest

9. tomm772

tomm772 Guest

pls dont touch bitcomet contains SPYWARE, go to sourceforge.net and download either ABC or Azureus. (Azureus 2.2 or 2.3 are very good, ABC opens a back door trojan port but binds it to local host, so not sure about that one)

10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Bitcomet doesn't contain spyware, please don't post something like that if you really don't know, there might be unofficial builds that has spyware, but this true of almost all clients (including Azureus) and this why you should always download from the official site of the client you like.

11. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

Personally, I still think Limewire is fine (some other programs, no). I once hosed my system with a wrong setting in Ad-aware but it's a great program. My point is that almost any program can cause problems, be it a bad install, conflict, downloading everything in sight or whatever. As I said, the only problems I've had (save the aforementioned Trojan) came from my doing and just surfing the web (not dangerous sites).

12. tom772

tom772 Guest

several versions of bitcomet i have come across have been bundled with spyware or worst. I dont mean to offend anyone who uses bitcomet, but i been using bittorrent for years mainly Azereus, Abc, shadow torrnado etc

Bitorrent is like any network where files are sharred it can be dangerous, but i think it is safer than most when it comes to muisc and films.

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.