Bittorrent and AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ybox, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ybox

ybox Registered Member

Hi all,

My virus protection is about to expire and I am considering switching AV progams. I have narrowed my decision to either Bitdefender or Zonealarm, but heard that they both mess up bittorrent programs. Are these problems caused by the AV programs themselves or the firewalls that come bundled with them?

Thanks,

ybox

P.S. my first post!

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

bitdefender or zonealarm, is this your only choice?

if your talking of suites, go with bitdefender :)

im not sure if you can install without firewall or not (is there a custom install?)

but if not, you should still be able to disable the firewall, i doubt its the firewall blocking your torrents, try utorrent and make sure your port forwarding is done correctly if using a router.

3. ybox

ybox Registered Member

I'm looking at stand alone AV's. I'm looking at bitdefender and zonealarm becuase they were the top two picks in the consumer reports test of stand alone AV's. Should I rely on consumer reports? NOD32 is interesting, but I can't find anything that compares it to other AV's.

ybox

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

have a look around,

try the trials, and see what is best for you, use this time as your other is running out, to try them all, and dont rush your decision.

Nod32 Trial
    Dr.web Trial
    Kaspersky Trial
    F-secure Trial
    Norton 2007 Trial
    F-prot Trial
    Avira Trial

if you care about the high detection rates and testing etc, try http://www.av-comparatives.org (read reports), also see the latest results by AV-TEST.org

have a go, and let us know how you get on :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  5. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Dont trust consumer reports

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Welcome to the forum ybox.

It depends on what sort of problem we are talking about, if it is connection problems it is most likely a not so good configured firewall. Different firewalls have different ways of how to configure them to let bittorrent traffic pass through.

I have used NOD32 in the past with various bittorrent software (uTorrent, Bitcomet, Bitspirit, Azureus) and had no problems. NOD32 doesnt interfere torrents in Vista either.

I use Drweb in my XP and have no problems with torrent software. Nowadays I only use uTorrent.

7. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Just a word of caution. This may not apply to you, and might have been something to do with my machine or settings, but I couldn't get uTorrent or Azureus to work fully with Bit Defender Suites 9 or 10, but it DID work fine with Bit Comet. No matter what settings I used, I couldn't get the port to forward with the other two torrent clients, both of which worked fine with other security suites. That said, I raised this issue somewhere on here, and it seems some people haven't had any problems with torrents and Bit Defender, so it might be worth trialling it to see how it works on your system. Having been burnt before, I would never license a new security app, without at least a week's evaluation first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.