BitDefender v7.0 Beta: new & freeware

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Paul Wilders, May 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

For all those looking for a new freeware anti-virus solution now IPE has gone down the drain:

Bitdefender v7.0 Beta could be an alternative. We haven't tested it, and it's still a Beta, but in case someone would like to give it a try: specs and download:

www.bitdefender.com/html/more_free_edition.php

regards.

paul

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

I have been using it as a backup to NOD32 for about 3 weeks now and would recommend it to anyone as a backup.  It is an on demand scanner only so I would suggest only using it as a second anti-virus scanner.  I have been satisfied with using it in this regard and have replaced AVG with it.  Of course this is just my HO.

Regards,
    Kent

3. Paul Wilders

Hello Kent,

Fully agreed a backup app will not hurt at all. Taking the strong heuristics from NOD32 and the quite mediocre scanning engine from BitDefender into account, I wonder if Bitdefender ever will come up with anything.. ;).

regards,

paul

4. puff-m-d

Paul,

I fully agree on this and that is why myself personally would ONLY recommend it as a backup anti-virus   :D  .

Regards,
    Kent

5. Paul Wilders

Kent,

[
    Amen to that. Nevertheless, those lacking the means to buy a decent AV are indeed better of with this freeware software than without any protection at all.

regards.

paul

6. Jazzie

Jazzie Registered Member

Paul--

I have been using the Pro version of Bit Defender for a couple weeks now and have to say that I am rather happy with it! I don't use all the features in it such as Inet filter-app filter-privacy filter- just the content scanner (Murphy 2.0) , which works with any e-mail client (Winsock level) .. I am currently using it with Becky and it works fine. Even though it is not FREE as you originally posted, it has a lot of potential. The only reason I don't like the Free version is the lack of pop3 scanning. But who knows, maybe in the near future they will implement that.. Would be nice!!!

CU
    Jazzie

7. Paul Wilders

Hi Jazzie,

Nice seeing you  ;).

Glad you do like it. As stated, we did not test these new versions yet - it comes down to the scan engine and the known ones have been fairly mediocre IMHO.

As for POP3 scanning: agreed in essence.

Concerning "freeware" or not: I'm a bit confused here. We'll contact Monica Gheorghiu from SOFTWIN in order to sort this out soon.

on a side note: currently running DrWeb (POP3 scanning addon for The Bat! included) in conjunction with The Bat! as an email client on this system; running pretty smooth. Ever considered to give both a try?

regards.

paul

8. Jazzie

Jazzie Registered Member

HI Paul, the free version has these features:

http://www.bitdefender.com/html/more_free_edition.php

Home Edition:

http://www.bitdefender.com/html/more_home_edition.php

Pro Edition:

http://www.bitdefender.com/html/more_professional.php

(Too much to copy and paste :)  )
    Nothing mention about pop3 scanning with the Free version though. That is the reason that I didn't try it...

About the Bat, I used it a while back and liked a lot of the features in it, will consider trying it again! Do you know right off hand, how and when the Dr. Web gets updated?? (IE: daily, weekly) I posted a link to Dr. Web  in the Becky forum and it was like I was poisoning everybody's food! :) I wonder why o_O?

Cheers
    Jazzie

9. puff-m-d

Hello all,

The free version ONLY contains the on demand scanner (no e-mail scanning or resident scanning.  This is the main reason I only recommend it as a backup scanner.  If you want something free that does all of the above, IMHO AVG fits this bill.

Regards,
    Kent

10. Paul Wilders

Hi Jazzie,

Let us know your verdict!

At Least daily - often several times a day. One can configure and auto-update at choosen intervals.

I really wouldn't know. I do know Robert Kok (the most knowledgeable AV mod over there) does use Dr. Web and is very, very enthusiastic about it.

regards.

paul

11. Doku

Doku Guest

BitDefender Support said that "the shield" is in the testing phase.

12. Jazzie

Jazzie Registered Member

Paul--

Thx for the info, I will give it a shot when I am done trying to figure what is up with Visnetic and my system. James Grant has been really great at supporting his fw (some of the best customer support I have seen!). I might take the plunge and purchase it. After the problems with my system are worked out. Thx for the info!

CU
    Jazzie

13. Paul Wilders

Hi Jazzie,

My pleasure; looking forward to your verdict.

James Grant; formerly Signal9, now working on the sucessor Visnetic FW? Still "work in progress" as I believe?

regards.

paul

14. Jazzie

Jazzie Registered Member

Hi Paul!

Yes, the same James Grant. I like the idea of SI in a firewall, especially since I had the pleasure of working with CheckPoint, wish more fw's had this enhancement! As far as 'work in progress' yes this statement is true... I use it in conjunction with TTT and LNS (app filter only!)

CU
    Jazzie

15. Paul Wilders

Hi Jazzie,

Much obliged if you would keep us up to date in regard to Visnetic - in the firewall forum  :D

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.