BitDefender TrafficLight (BETA): Social Web Security, Re-invented

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I can only say what happened for me, and that was a blue screen.
    With the extension, perfect.

2. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Why would you still want it?

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Yesterday I finally just quickly uninstalled and reinstalled TL (extension) and the program and defs are now current.

4. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Installed it here. Running nicely so far along with ESS 5.0.94. No issues. :)

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@Page42
    thx.....will continue using the add-on.......

@atomomega
    layered security maybe........av scanned but marked safe then maybe tl would scan and block keeping me safe...increasing detection...

@Trooper
    good to know buddy ........but which one ...full tl or add-on.....

6. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

if your AV does http scanning then your probably better off with the add-on version as they will probably conflict, even if you don't get a conflict you will get double the slowdown.

what you could do is disable the http scanner in your AV and use TL, that way they wont conflict plus you get to have signatures from 2 AV companies protecting you in real time but not at the same exact time (what gets through TL might get caught by the file scanner of your AV)

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

ah! I see.... thx for explaining....:thumb:

8. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Add-on only for Firefox.

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Well I guess it comes down to what one chooses to focus on, justenough.
    I like having the TL extension onboard, and I like the dropdown feature right where it is, as well as the small green lights telling me the page is okay as far as TL is concerned. I don't see the little bump (as I guess we are now calling it) being anything remotely approaching an "intrusion". I don't even know it's there, until I go looking for it. Great place for it, now that I think about it. ;) :D

10. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I don't want to make a big deal out of the 'bump', because it isn't really, it bothers me (along with the browsing slow-down) so I don't use TrafficLight, it doesn't bother you, or more than that you think it's great where it is, so you use it. Fine with me, we are all happy. What I don't get is why it's not bothering people and why BitDefender decided to go that route instead of putting their alert up on the toolbar like every other company does it (at least in my experience). It's only 1/16th of an inch high, as you say, but it is also 3/8ths of an inch wide. A few times I actually had to scroll because it was in the way of something I was reading at the top of the window. When reading text that has a white background or watching a video with a light background at the top, the TL tab stands out, like some glop got stuck on my monitor. Maybe I'm using the internet and reading online more than most people? As I say, I just don't get it.

11. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Reinstall fixed it :). Hope I don't have to do this too often. :eek:

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

First of all, what brings a smile to my face is you and me with our rulers out, measuring the TL bump on our desktops. :D

You asked, "What other program does such a thing? I can't think of one that intrudes into that space", and I'd have to say KeyScrambler, in a really big way, particularly compared to TL. But I view that too as little more than a minor inconvenience.

As far as, "Maybe I'm using the internet and reading online more than most people?"... I'm not the one you want to ask that question of. ;)

Wait til you see the KeyScrambler overlay... it makes the TL bump look like a gnat. :)

13. progress

progress Guest

It's enough if it slows down my browsing speed ... :doubt:

You can turn off that overlay window in KeyScrambler but you can't turn off that ugly bump in TrafficLight :doubt: Maybe it will be changed in a later version :)

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Ah, "the bump" has now morphed into "the ugly bump".
    LOL

15. progress

progress Guest

Maybe I should call it the nasty nose :D However - I don't like it ... :)

16. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Page42: "First of all, what brings a smile to my face is you and me with our rulers out, measuring the TL bump on our desktops. :D"

When it becomes a battle with rulers at the desktop, I think we've entered geek territory. We need to declare a truce.

Page42: "Wait til you see the KeyScrambler overlay... it makes the TL bump look like a gnat. :)"

I looked at a screenshot of KeyScrambler, and it makes the TL bump look like a nasty nose. Never mind about the truce now that re-enforcements have arrived.

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I have been staring at the bump non-stop now for hours.
    Can't take my eyes off of it.
    If a family matter arises which would have otherwise garnered my immediate attention, I become irritable and moody and complain deeply at the very thought of leaving the desktop to lend a hand.
    Everytime I scroll up or I scroll down, my eyes are riveted to the bump.
    The first thing I look for when I open a new website is the bump.
    I'm considering coming up with a pet name for the bump.
    How did I get like this?
    What control does the bump have over me?
    This is not my beautiful bump. :shifty:

18. progress

progress Guest

Is it possible to change Page42's rank from Massive Poster to Bump Fanboy? :D :thumb:

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Please don't be such a Blatant Bump Basher. :D

20. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Question: Can anyone running Chromium install extensions from Google Chrome Web Store? I cannot. :argh:

I enabled JavaScript, cookies, Google Analytics. Resuming, nothing was being blocked. I removed the blocking of ads and trackers. I still can't install any extension from Chrome Web Store.

Now, I can't install TrafficLight, because I started with a clean Chromium profile, and forgot to backup the extension folder. :D

I went to http://trafficlight.bitdefender.com/extensions.html but they don't host it there either. :ouch:

Does any one know a way of downloading extensions from Chrome Web Store to install them offline? It used to be possible, but Google removed that functionality. :thumbd:

21. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

With Chromium 18.0.966.0 i can install extensions just fine.
    I'm pretty sure you could install extensions off line, but now when you right click on the "add" button and hit "save as" you don't get the .crx file but an .htm instead.

22. m00nbl00d

I'm running the previous build, but I already couldn't install for a while, from Chrome Web Store.

I've been trying to figure out why, but didn't come to a solution. I hit the install button, then I get an initial alert saying what the extension is able to read and/or access, but then nothing happens. I just see "Verifying..." within the install button. Other than that, nothing happens.

23. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

I guess it's a bug, you should probably update. The latest Chrome Dev release fixed a lot of little annoyances for me.
    Btw, i downloaded the "official" portable version of Chromium and still can install extensions. But this is the 17.0.942.0 build, a little old i guess

24. m00nbl00d

Perhaps, but I did find a way to download from within Chromium and also with the download manager, hence we get to keep the crx file. :D

-https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx?response=redirect&x=id%3D*extension-id*%26uc

Replace *extension-id* with the extension ID you see at Chrome Web Store. TL's is the bolded one -https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cfnpidifppmenkapgihekkeednfoenal

If you can't hunt with the dog, hunt with the cat. :argh:

25. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I'm uninstalling. Firefox's version is STILL not updating. *Sighs* How is the whole PC version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.