Bitdefender Safepay™ BETA

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by malexous, Jun 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itman

itman Registered Member

Why would you want to do that? Safepay only runs in a protected browser to start with. The odds of malware downloading from that protected browser is about close to nil.

2. niflheim

niflheim Registered Member

Hello can you check with Private Internet Access enabled if you can ping our server?
    ping myvpn.bitdefender.biz ?
    also can you check in event logs for windows for errors like 618, 645 or something that has to do with RAS.
    Thank you.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Sure, I'll try this in a few days and post back.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I tried again today to connect without success. I can ping myvpn.bitdefender.biz and get a fast and consistent response. In the Event Viewer application log I'm seeing

"The user Victek123 dialed a connection named Bitdefender Safepay™ BETA VPN which has failed. The error code returned on failure is 619."

which apparently means the port is disconnected.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/163111

I hope this helps. Thanks!

5. guest

guest Guest

I tested it with Elite Keylogger (Advanced commerical monitoring app)

Keylogger-Failed
    Screenlogger-Passed
    Clipboardlogger-Failed

System: win8x64

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Did Safepay run the antimalware check and not detect it? If so perhaps that's because Elite Keylogger is a legitimate application and not a trojan.

7. guest

guest Guest

Because, EK hide itself from AV's.
    http://www.widestep.com/
    "simply the best keylogger out there. invisible. undetectable. elite. Elite Keylogger is updated daily to stay invisible to anti-virus and anti-keylogger software."

It is not important for me, I am not talking about signature checking. Safepay doesnt protect against key/clipboard logger

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The people who create Elite Keylogger can claim whatever they want, but EK is no more "undetectable" than malware - it all depends on the anti-malware app having sufficient ability. My point was some anti-malware programs intentionally don't detect commercial keyloggers because they are used legally (?) by businesses.

I understand that you're not talking about signatures. It is a valid question whether or not Safepay is designed to prevent keyboard and clipboard logging/screen grabbing (?) but Safepay as a standalone application is not a complete solution. You still need standard AV/AM protection on the system. And by the way, I would never perform sensitive transactions on a computer that was not completely under my control, such as the computers where you work that can potentially have keyloggers installed.

9. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

TY.

I don't want to it was a theoretical question only trying to learn Safepay.

Since I do OLB on an https site inside Sandboxie I can't see why I need another protected browser anyway.

10. guest

guest Guest

Safepay is designed for banking session so it must prevent against keyboard/clipboard logging.
    KIS,Avast banking modules has this ability.

Standart AV/AM will not protect against keylogger (i am talking behaviour based protection not signature based).
    This is the answer why antilogger software created. Spyshelter, Zemana and others.

I am not with you in this case, anyway. It is little test, Just for forum members info.

Btw; Keyscramber and Zemana free can protect against Elite Keylogger's keyboard logging module.

Safepay like products are designed for secure browser session. It protect keyboard access,screen/clipboard access. Also it protect browser files, it block all unknown access and extensions.
    Sandboxie doesnt have keyboard/screen/clipboard and other protections. (i didnt tried 4.02 yet)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2013
  11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Hopefully the vendor rep will comment on whether or not Safepay is designed to stop keylogging, etc. I agree that it would be good for that capability to be built in, but if it's not it can be provided separately, as you noted, by using Zemana AL or SpyShelter.

I should have been more specific when I referred to "standard av/am". There are internet security suites that include anti-logging and folks should make sure that they either use one of them or use a separate app IMHO.

12. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Wouldn't Bitdefender internet security's IDS protect against keyloggers? I know this topic isn't about BIS but I'm just trying to get a fuller picture of what BIS would be capable of as regards protection against keyloggers.

13. Sgt_Zim

Sgt_Zim Registered Member

Perhaps it would be possible to grant explicit permission to exactly 1 other app to run in the secure desktop. I use KeePass with random, auto-gen 128 bit passwords.

I use BackTracker, Metasploit, Cain & Able, etc., in my job. It's possible to grab just about any password while doing an internal, corporate penetration, but it's a different game when trying to grab those sorts of things from home users. With the anti-phishing, anti-malware, etc that is native to BD IS, the tools that I'm aware of that a black hat would use to compromise a home pc are defeated.

I convinced our CEO to switch from KAV to BD business client because of the thoroughness of BD's abilities.

I ran KAV and BD on the same computer (the second built off the image of the first), and BD found a trojan that was buried inside an Exchange mail archive while KAV did not.

I used to be a cop in Houston, and what I see with most black hats is what I tended to see with burglars - you can't completely secure anything from them; all you can do is set up your security so that they are encouraged to move on to less hardened targets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.