Bitdefender, is there a free version for on-demand use?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Matt_Smi, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I use NOD32 for my main AV, but I like having a few extra on-demand scanners to crosscheck with NOD and ensure my system is clean. So far I got A2, Ewido and of course Ad-aware and Spybot S&D. I would not mind adding another on-demand AV, and I think I remember reading that there is a free version of bitdefender for on-demand scans. Is there still a free version of BD available? Would it be worth adding to my setup? Thanks.

2. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

3. squash

squash Registered Member

Yes, there is a free version of BitDefender and yes, it would be good to include it in your setup, if you have the hard drive space and time to update another program. It is on-demand only and does not provide real-time protection.

On first update, it will take a while to download the new updates, which is a couple of megs. After that the updates will be incremental.

It's all security vs. convience. The more security the implement, the harder you will find to update every application. The more convience you want, the less security options you will have.

Link to free version: http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/products.php?p_id=24

4. I use NOD32....with Bitdefender back up
    BD has been adding seems like 2-3000 definitons a day lately, and scans in
    about 10 minutes less time....you may get an alarm or two from Nod when
    you are scanning with BD...don't know why for sure.

5. iwod

iwod Registered Member

BD Free liscense is only avalible for one year..... ( although i always doubt any body who doesn't format or recovery their computer by that time )

And the services starting ALL the time for a ON DEMAND scanner just doesn't fit my style...

6. Matt_Smi

You mean it has to run background processes/services just to run the on-demand scanner? If so I will pass, I try to keep my background processes to a minimum, currently I have 20 when you computer has no problems running. Do you know how many it needs to run? And if it will still work if you disable them? Thanks.

7. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

I've been trying to find out the same... no luck. The upside of having all those services running I think is frequent automatic updates.

Other On Demand AV's will be...
    eScan MAV toolkit
    NOD32 for DOS
    F-Prot for DOS
    DrWeb CureIt ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/windows/drwebcureit.zip
    And a couple more
    Or you can have a free AV like Avast run On Demand only

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am using eScan MWAV toolkit as a backup scanner. I use BitDefender 8.0 as my primary. The escan uses the Kaspersky engine, or at least the updates come from that site.
    The older version, 4.4.7, cleans as well as scan. That is what I have. Here is a thread with the link.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=65398

Jerry

9. Matt_Smi

I installed BD on a “test” computer and it needs to run three processes, and I didn’t even install the live update or scheduler components, it also adds four things that run at start up, defiantly not something I want on my main machine. I am running a scan in a minute to see if it finds anything after an AVG scan. So what are my other options for free on-demand only AV’s that run NO extra processes or services? The eScan MAV toolkit sounds pretty decent, maybe I will give that a try...

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

After eScan and maybe DrWeb, I would look more at trojan and other malware scanners (such as a-squared, ewido, and the spyware scanners) since those are about the only things that would be missed by the AVs.

11. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

BD free has two services. It need about 10 MB of RAM. BitDefender dosn't work if you disable the services.

12. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

I don't understand the concern unless you are running an older [slower] 9X operating system. Windows XP can handle multiple processes and services just fine: assuming you have reasonable CPU speed and adequate RAM, you won't notice any difference, IMHO .. ;)

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I use Bit Defender free as my only AV. I don't notice any slow down because of the 2 running processes. The two processes use a total of 25,000k on my XP Pro machine. Now NOD32 is awful on this machine. It causes a big slowdown if IMON HTTP scanner is enabled. My point is not to slam NOD32. It works great on many computers. My point is that you should not go on what others experience is with any AV. You need to try it for yourself on your machine and see how it or any AV does. Choosing an AV (even a backup one) is a very individual thing.

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Mele since bitdefender free doesn't have a resident scanner, isn't that a little risky running it as your only antivirus??

15. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Well.. it is simply the matter of memory used when not needed. I will update it when i use it on demand. And i don't have enough ram... ><

16. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

Yes,that's a shame.It's the reason i don't use it too.Not that i have RAM problem (i have 1 gig 333MHz CAS2 Corsair XMS dual channel),but i m a maniac on performance and keeping my pc tidy(I do registry cleaning,registry backups/restores before installing software that i know i ll uninstall soon,regular formats every 6 months max etc).So,when i have manully disabled every single windows service that i don't need,i can't stand seeing 2 processes running for a program that shouldn't be active. :D

17. iwod

iwod Registered Member

well it would be nice if they improve this... but i suppose it is free so we can't ask for much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.