Bitdefender Internet Security sucks! IS it just meh?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by berryracer, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I was very excited when I read reviews about Bitdefender Internet Security a few months back and immediately purchased a license. Upon first using it, it was a pleasant surprise that it was kinda light on the system and from the Virus Tests I've read online, it seemed to be one of the best AV programs / Internet Security out there.
    I started running into weird issues here and there though, such as MPC-HC randomly crashing while playing movies, slow internet browsing, etc.

And when I added my VPN connection through Windows 7, everytime I would restart my laptop, I got a message that the Antivirus components has failed to start.

I contacted support but they were very slow to respond so I asked for a refund and got it.

Next, I hear about Bitdefender Internet Seurity 2013, again, with very good reviews. So I thought of giving it another chance, I purchase yet another license. Same problems exactly! and when visiting the Bitdefender Forums, I saw a myriad of user problems and noone even the mods caring to reply.

I uninstalled BIS 2013 and my Laptop came back to life!

Bear in mind that I have always installed it on a clean install, meaning, no previous AV conflicts or anything such as that.

The thing that baffles meh is, how come Bitdefender Antivirus / Internet Security always get very good reviews and come out on top? Do these people only test it against a collection of viruses only ignoring the user experience and how it affects the system? I don't get it! I will never touch a Bitdefender product again even though they get very good scores in Virus Tests

2. darts

darts Registered Member

I also had the same problems and went too Bullguard internet security 2013 and it uses the Bitdefender engine but without the bugs and it is very light and they have 24/7 live support and live support chat i realy like it maybe you can do a trial they have a 60 day trial :) Good Luck and you will not recrat it.

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

EAM uses BD engine. EAM is very light with it's dual engine.:)

4. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I've been watching some YouTube reviews and was quite impressed.

5. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

Everybody's system is different. There a millions of happy Bitdefender customers when compared to your problem. I bet 100 to one if you had a fresh install of Windows everything would be fine. Anyways why did you do things backwards. Every company offers trials. It's called try before you buy. Don't be mad at Bitdefender for that. You were also using a VPN. Did you try uninstalling that first? Would you buy a car without taking it for a test drive?

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Why don't you try it out my friend? Use the link in my sig. I'll get a bonus time for every trial and purchase of EAM from my link.:D Emsisoft has Referral Rewards Program. I'm getting BD without all the hassle and top quality support.:D

7. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! My own experience was after two to three days of use Bitdefender 2013 I.S...started to noticeably affect browsing...page rendering...lag time...just general responsiveness...so I reverted back to using Eset S.S.5...I know the Testing Vendors love Bitdefenders detection rates...but to me ease of use...and lack of bloat... is in my case extremely important. But I'm using AppGuard...and WSA Essentials...in concert with Eset...so generally it provides me with an overall secure feeling. Sincerely...Securon

8. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Maybe check out Roboscan. Uses BD engine and is free, or dirt cheap for the paid version.

9. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

laughs

10. Amin

Amin Registered Member

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Interesting. That is my biggest issue with BD. It would quarantine a file that I wanted, and it would be a pain in the butt to get it back, and keep it from being requarantined. Drove me nuts. Hopefully this resolves that.

12. Amin

Amin Registered Member

yeah.. and i hope now u can say 'That was my biggest issue with BD' :thumb:

btw.. in custom scan settings change the default action to deny access.
    by default it is set to Take proper action which mostly delete the files.

13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I don't know why they can just have an option of "ask". For the most part I will not use a program that auto-delete or auto-quarantines.

14. Amin

Amin Registered Member

amen to that... you spotted the flaw:thumb:

we can suggest that to Christian.

15. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

(EDIT) - Removed my off Topic reply.BD AntiVirus Plus 2013 is running on two netbooks and they are running fine.I never Opt in for suites anyways so cant say if the IS version runs any different. If it was not for only paying $ 5.95 it wouldn't be on our systems and not for any other reasons then I dont like running AV on any system especially netbooks.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  16. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

I always found BD heavier than some other AVs(don't want to turn this thread to an A vs B thread so i won't mention which AVs). Nowdays you can find loads of other softwares that uses BD engine, you should try that if you want to stick with BD at all costs. I know it's not 100% because the engine is "just" signature and heuristic...

17. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

I can verify EAM is light with BD now. I have run BDIS and it does slow me down and despite having a good test record, I can't stand anything slow or heavy. :eek:

18. manak

manak Registered Member

Bitdefender is buggy. Even if it performs well to detect malware I cannot recommend anyone. I agree with other peoples' suggestion. Emsisoft Anti-Malware(v7) and Bullguard internet security are good choice if you like to use powerful Bitdefender core engine.

19. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

BD has always been HEAVY...very HEAVY on Resources.
    Luckily, there are other products using the BD engine...

20. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed

21. Aventador

22. Aventador

Explain how this is heavy?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2126320&postcount=137

23. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Memory usage is not the only indicator of program's impact on a system. If program doesn't load all necessary modules and data in memory it has to read it each time from disk. This means much more disk I/O activity which can result in lags and sluggishness.

I tested BD and although it uses less memory than Nod, it still has bigger impact on my system performance.

24. Aventador

tomazyk..................Please refer back to the my snip shot. I clearly show more then memory usage. Everyone knows its not just mem usage that counts. First column is PID then CPU/I/O,Private WS and Privatebytes. As I have said over and over and over. Everyone's pc is different. Different specs. Different software installed. I have a Dell XPS Core i7 w/8GB of ram. I am on an 18MB fiber optic connection and I have no issues at with BD. There are millions upon millions of satisfied customers to the small amount of satisfied. My pc starts up about 3 seconds slower with BD then with Avast. Big deal.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  25. Sher

Sher Registered Member

My past experiences with BD haven't been good either. It has let me down twice. Full of bugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.