Bitdefender Free v10 OEM stops updating

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dionisiog, Oct 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dionisiog

dionisiog Registered Member

I have Bitdefender Free Edition on my computers. I have been using it for some time without a problem, but suddenly over the last few days there have been no updates. I have it on more than one computer so I am fairly certain that this isn't some type of malware shutdown response.

Today I tried once more to use the software to update, and it didn't even try to connect to the net. Of course I am thinking, what the heck?

I scuttled by the bitdefender website a few times to see if anyone was saying anything (as per chance support might have been fazed-out, server problems, etc.) and did not see any related comments. I have already attempted re-installation on my XP system. This appears to change nothing. The software will update to the normal install level, and there are no updates afterwards.

I was wondering if anyone here might be using the software and if they might be experiencing simular response, or if someone here might know if something has happened in terms of support for the product, etc.

Thanks for your time.

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

3. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

BD's manual update files are over 6 days old. I wonder also what gives with BD.

Dave

4. yeow

yeow Registered Member

I checked my folks' BDAV v10 & another BDAV Plus v10, both seem to be updating normally. Don't know abt the Free version though.

5. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Correction: I'm told BDAV v10 last updated 28 Oct (no new updates atm), while BDAV Plus v10 is still getting updates currently.

6. dionisiog

I have discovered that on other computers which friends have with Bitdefender Free Edition V10 OEM that no updates appear to have been provided since October 27, 2008. This does not appear to have anything to do with a software malfunction. Re-installing the software may give the illusion that updates have resumed as a first primary (and large) update is provided. After that, there appear to be no updates provided anymore. It would make it look as if Bitdefender which normally updates it's software several times a day has ceased to supply updates to the software. I could be wrong, but on several unrelated computers? I find it surprising that there seem to be no related comments on their website, but perhaps too many people are relying on the Auto-Update function and simply are unaware that no updates are taking place at all.

7. Niels

Niels Registered Member

8. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Thanks Niels, will try changing update servers tomorrow & see.

9. yeow

yeow Registered Member

BDAV v10 updated on 3 Nov without changing any settings. So it was abt a week of 0 updates.

10. dionisiog

Thanks for the server information and all of the other input.

If Bitdefender is updating now, that's a good thing. How do I put it, I was ready to replace it as an anti-virus choice on my computers, and have friends replace it on theirs.

Am I the only person that would find it bothersome that an antivirus software which normally updates all day long would completely cease to update with no comments on the software website that supports it to that regard? It seems to me that the omission of information regarding this detail implies that someone would rather not publicly talk about some change of policy.

The concluding point would be to see if it continues to update as it did in the past or if the update interval will have changed, which would answer that question as well.

Bitdefender has been in my opinion a great option for many users that really can't afford decent protection. And I will continue to say that for those that can pay for these softwares, it is worth the price.

Prior to the breakdown on updates, I actually saw some installations of this software literally disappear from their installation folders while the 'active' icon continued to give the impression that the user was being protected. For this reason I continue to wonder if the Bitdefender people were aware of some sort of vulnerability and trying to quietly work on a fix over the past week.

If there was a problem, I hope that it has been resolved. I'd like to stick with this program. I like the low level footprint it has which makes it optimal for people (and there are a lot of them) still running on much slower PCs.

11. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

It should be pointed out that the free version is an on demand scanner only and as such isn't suitable as a primary AV.

12. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello dionisiog and yeow,

So far that I knew the update servers should be the same for the free or paid version. But I doubt it because you say that you didn't get any updates during past week.

During the past week-end there were indeed problems. The problem was with a particular file emalware.c01 that had an incorrect MD5 checksum and that caused that updates failed to install.I reported it also during the week-end and it was solved for me yesterday but on another home computer the issue was solved Sunday evening.

Kind regards,
    Niels

13. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Hi Niels, are u using v10 also? Afaik, regarding BDAV v10 on my folk's PC:
    On Fri
    Last checked 31 Oct -> Manual update indicated "No new updates"
    Last updated 28 Oct
    On Sat
    Last checked 1 Nov
    Last updated 28 Oct
    On Sun
    PC was not switched on
    On Mon
    Last checked 3 Nov
    Last updated 3 Nov -> Updated

14. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello yeow,

No, I am using BitDefender Total Security 2009 and BitDefender Internet Security 2009 on my 2 other pc's.

Friday there were updates available. The latest successful update I had before the update problems was on 16:25 (4 pm 25). After that until Monday morning from that moment BitDefender updated successfully again. The strange thing was that another home pc could update successfully Sunday evening.

Kind regards,
    Niels

15. yeow

yeow Registered Member

I also mentioned earlier that BDAV Plus v10 was not affected. So I guess only BDAV v10 specifically (both paid & free) was affected - somehow, but strange.

Anyway, a few OT questions:
    1. Now all manual update links for all BIS v10, BDAV Plus v10 & BDAV v10, there's this "bitdefender_v9" in the hyperlinks?
    2. Last I checked, I rem the update link for BDAV Plus v10 was different from BDAV v10. But now they are the same - either I rem wrongly or they changed something.
    3. When submitting samples to BD, do we generally get an official response in the forum?

Thanks a bunch

16. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello yeow,

2) The scan engine that BitDefender uses in versions 9 or 10 are the same so that could be the reason why the downloads are now linking to bitdefender_v9

3)No, samples (attachments) that you uploaded on the forum are automatically being downloaded and send to the virus researchers. It could be that a virus researcher immediately download a sample and so can add detection almost immediately. Posting on the forum is quicker than just sending an e-mail. I send many samples but only in the beginning of the forum the virus researcher replied. If they respond depends how busy they are.

Kind regards,
    Niels

17. yeow

yeow Registered Member

I see. Niels, thanks for the clarifications - in this thread & before.

Rgds,
    yeow

18. dionisiog

Hi again.

This problem still is not fixed on any of the computers which I have been looking at. The news about the file with the bad checksum was useful but I find that after even a fresh installation of Bitdefender Free v10 I have problems with the primary update even before I reach that particular file. The software keeps reporting that it can not continue with the updating process. When I do finally reach the defective file which you mentioned it is clear that the version currently being provided on Bitdefender servers is defective as it is impossible to download from that file on.

I can tell you that I downloaded a new copy of the free version a few days and attempted to do the usual primary update (Really big now if one has a dial-up connection!) It constantly was disconnecting and the download speed was atrocious. It seemed to frequently find problems with the files which it was downloading and then it appeared to start downloading all over again, before it posted a red error message and quit the update process. This problem repeated itself ever copy of seconds ot minutes. I was thinking, 'patience, patience', eventually you'll get a little further and finally you will have the whole primary download, and then perhaps things will be normal again. I have to tell you that as of this moment, I'm starting to think that I am an idiot for thinking this. It just isn't happening.

I tried switching servers... The alternate servers were even worse. I've got to tell you, when your anti-virus decides not to work properly, it is a complete waste or time and a total irritant.

And the news about it not protecting me in real-time is new news to me. Is this a different level of coverage than this software originally provided? I was under the impression from several reviews that this software stacked up rather well against the competition, but if it cannot even provide real-time protection such as the competition provides I can hardly see how it rates a side by side comparison. It is simply not the same thing. I have deceived myself into thinking I was protected when I was not. I guess better informed than blindly stupid.

I tried to install the manual update but it does not seem to solve the updating problem, perhaps I am not installing it correctly, if so then it is a problem for which I guess I would be responsible.

I hope that I am not misunderstanding any of the information provided here, and I thank you again for your help.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  19. yeow

yeow Registered Member

No realtime scanning with BD Free - that is confirmed. IIRC it has always been so.

Wrt updates no getting through, u might want to try setting ISP proxy in BD's update settings (or remove the proxy setting if u've been using it). Sometimes helps. But finding out that there's no realtime scanning, probably u'd not be interested anymore?

20. dionisiog

Yes Yeow...

You may have me on that. The level of the problems which I seem to be experiencing with this software at this point could in the end be a favor if I can find something to replace it with.

While I was looking for resources to deal with this problem I ran across a link in which someone with a different version of the product had encountered a simular update problem. In spite of the pleasant feedback from Niels in terms of support, he had been given some suggestions to 'fix' his problem which simply didn't work. At one point he posted back the instructions he had been given for fixing his problem which were highly technical in terms of most users working on their computers. It was like a reality check. We tend to patiently follow feedback to solve our problems, but he was right, the things he was being asked to do for an average user were kind of insane.

I realise that on one end, the world that my mom lives in where she gets tripped up sending an email is sort of absurd, but when an average or upward user finds themselves having to resort to a week's worth of scrambling to fix 'protective' software that frankly... didn't protect them... and then still can't get it to work... This might be a highly appropriate time to become a doubter of that system.

I also notice that going by the Softwin forum that the area devoted to support for this software seems to have virtually disappeared overnight. It seems reminiscent of coming home after a night out and finding that your girlfriend has thrown a pillow and a blanket on the sofa for you. In this case, the sofa appears to be missing.

21. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello dionisiog,

Normally you should close BitDefender by right clicking on the red BitDefender icon near the system tray and click on exit. Follow these instructions. If you have downloaded weekly you first need to close BitDefender and just double click on it.

Download the weekly.exe and install it afterwards download cumulative and reboot your pc.

Try this press the windows button together with r now type this:
    ipconfig /flushdns press enter.

Try now to update again.

The official BitDefender is only a user forum where I am also active under the same name. I had to delete over 90 posts because it were all spam posts.

Kind regards,
    Niels

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.