BitDefender free Edition has expired

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by F4, Feb 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F4

F4 Guest

I'm wondering because I downloaded BitDefender Free Edition from its official site after the installation was complete then a program has said it expired and wants a registration key. Does it want me to register somewahere to get a registration key like Avast Home or AVG 6 Free ? Does anyone have any idea? o_O

According to this comment on WebAttack download page - http://www.webattack.com/freeware/security/fwvirus.html

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I'm running Bitdefender Free right now without problems. I haven't used it for very long, but so far I do like it very much as a backup scanner.

Had no idea about the expiration until I checked the link you provided (thanks) but since the date says 4/1/2004, and since I'm running fine for the moment, I'd guess the problem you're having is an anomaly.

3. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I have BitDefender free and it works for me also. I'm going to email them at BD and ask them if BD will stay free after the 4/1/04 deadline. I'll let everyone know what they said. :)

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If you are running xp click start then all programs and under bitdefender there is a option for online registration. I had to do this also when I installed bd free.

5. notageek

notageek Registered Member

OK I emailed BD and got this resoponse back (it took them 9 days to reply but they replied).
    "Dear User,

Thank you for your interest in our security solution BitDefender.

Yes, it will remain free. Here is more info: the Free Edition is built with
    the same engine as the commercial version so the expiration is just one
    inherited feature. However, at expiration (after one year of usage) you only
    need to reinstall it to get another 1 year of free usage.

Thank you for referring that site to us, we will contact them in order to
    remove that misleading note.

Please don't change the subject of the email in order to better keep track of
    the message history.

Feel free to contact us with any suggestion or should you require more
    information.

Best regards,

Florin Vlaicu
    BitDefender Technical Support Engineer"

So it will remain free after that date. HTH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.