Bitdefender Free CryptoWall Vaccine

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Charyb, Dec 17, 2014.

1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Can't get this to autostart with windows. Even though I selected it do so in settings. Any ideas? FYI my machine is clean.

2. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Do you have the latest version. I used to have that problem - had to "reinstall" the program every time, but since installing the latest BD version It starts with Windows all the time-The Icon in the latest version when you put your cursor over it now reads BD Anti-Ransomware. Dunno if it read that way in the first version. The install file and process is still named BD Anti-Cryptowall

Edit Update: OOps - LMAO - just went to check the version number (1,0,8,1) since it doesn't appear on the install file or in Task Manager, and is not in my Windows Uninstall List - so I clicked on the icon to open the GUI and it was OFF :) So while the Icon has always been appearing-which it didn't always before-It apparently was never ON :) BTW the GUI is now also titled BD Anti-Ransomware. Dunno if that's a change.

If it is not ON when Windows starts, does that mean it's useless, or does Cryptowall infect initially after windows startso_O?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Latest here. Don't know others.

4. hawki

hawki Registered Member

We have lots of company apparently: Take a look at the BD Labs Crypto Vacine Page - That's where the Anti-Cryptowall Download is:

Looks like a common issue/bug.

17 of 21 comments report the same issue-no response from BD Labs.

5. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Just stopped the "program" and exited it - downloaded the current version which is still V 1,0,8,1 - same problem. Icon appears but need to start the "Immunization" manually by opening the GUI.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Weird. My icon doesn't show at startup. When I click it icon appears? Was it on already just no icon in tray idk? But after immunization is always on here.

7. hawki

hawki Registered Member

If Icon is not appearing what "it" are you clicking?

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

The .exe file.

9. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Yeah. I would have to do that also. Isn't that the same as re-installing it? - That's what I thought i was doing. But with the latest version never have to do that. Before, with the first version the tray icon never reappeared until I did that. Now, with the latest version, the Icon always appears. But I had not been aware until just yesterday that the fact that the icon appears DOES NOT mean it's ON. I need to click the icon to open the GUI and start it every time I reboot. Meaning it is apparently NOT ON during start-up. I don't know enough about CryptoWall to know if not starting the "program" at start up is a fatal flaw making it useless.

The GUI explains that the "Immunization" means that "Executables from"appdata" AND "startup" are not allowed to run."

10. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

Does this work better and start with Windows now. It looks like a new version of it was released today.

11. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Dragon do you have a link?

12. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

13. itman

itman Registered Member

The CryptoWall Immunizer is only effective in protecting systems that may get infected with versions one and two of the Cryptowall ransomware

14. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

15. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Has anyone tested the latest version yet? I hope it's not as buggy as the previous version.

16. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I installed the latest version and enabled Immunization. After rebooting my machine, Immunization was turned off. This is not the kind of anti-ransomware I'm looking for, so I uninstalled the BD anti-ransomware app. Still looking for an easy-to-use alternative.

17. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Thanks Dragon.

I just installed it. Same issues as prior version re: starting.

Two things bugged me about the prior editions. 1,) You had to turn it on manually even though you set it to start with Windows. It did start, e.g., the icon showed in the task bar but you still had to turn it on. 2.) It took forever to load.

I've got this real phobia about Ransomeware and Crypto-Whatever. The FBI last week issued a statement on Ransomeware that if you get it just pay the ransome. I think it's one of the most insidious types of malware.

Now running BD Anti-Ransomeware, BD IS 2016 with Ransomeware protection, and HitmanPro Alert with protection against encryption of files. I believe that BD Anti-Ransomeware and The Ransomeware protection in BD IS 2016 operate differently. Pretty sure that BD IS 2016 Ransomeware Protection and HMPA Protection are redundant, but for the fact that HMPA I believe protects all files from encryption and BD IS 2016 only Protects a defauly set and allows you to add folders but not System Folders.

I also double backup data on two separate external HDDs always disconnected when online. I use two cuz last year I had an external HDD fail after 7 months.

I'd be lost if I lost access to some of the info on my PC. You would think that by now I would have written some of it down on paper with a pen :) And I'm the guy who my office had to force to give up paper and pencil for a PC. They literally had to remove all paper and pencils from my office and had to pry my yellow pad and pencil I was using at the time out of my hands and put a PC on my desk.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  18. Not exactly the same, have a look at Secure Folders, now abonware, but still available at cnet http://download.cnet.com/Secure-Folders/3000-2092_4-76081193.html

Whitelist
    Explorer
    Word processor
    Spreadsheet
    Presentations
    plus all user programs which change (media) files in the protected folders like
    OIS
    Photo
    etc

Mark your data folders as protected (read only)

19. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Link please. Seems nuts.

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Last time I checked CryptoPrevent was a lot more comprehensive than BD CryptoWall Vaccine. Is this new version more effective?

22. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

24. hawki

hawki Registered Member

25. Victek

Victek Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.