BitDefender Feedback.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EsoxLucius, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

And another hint, each progressive coder can easily bypass this string heuristic and harmless apps are accusated as dangerous. Don´t understand me false I made several tests and Bit Defender is definitely the best AntiVirus concerning packed and crypted malware, directly behind is AntiVir, but BitDefender is the best in fighting crypted malware. But to accusate a tool as bad virus if it has e.g. nod32krn string in it is a bit too far, maybe you should enhance the heuristic and put that into paranoid mode.

Beside:
    In the last 3-5 years Bit Defender moved in my personal test ranking list from place 7-10 to Nr.1.
    Guys you enhanced this app a lot my deep respect.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  2. Karen76

Karen76 Registered Member

After I was unable to get Avira Premium Internet Security to download updates or get satisfactory results on GRC's ShieldsUp! port scan, I uninstalled Avira and replaced it with the trial of BitDefender Internet Security 2008. The good news is BDIS2008 downloaded updates fine and got a perfect score on ShieldsUp! The bad news is it's blocking most, but not all, of my programs from accessing the Internet without giving me any popups asking if they should be allowed. I can't log in to MSN or use Opera, but Firefox works OK (which is how I'm making this post). BitDefender allowed SpywareBlaster to check for updates (without asking my permission) but blocked AVG Anti-Spyware, SUPERAntiSpyware, Ace Utilities and TuneUp Utilities from accessing the Internet with no popups. Initially, I could click on BitDefender's system tray icon and its control panel would appear. Now, clicking on the system tray or Desktop shortcut icons does nothing. :'(

I also noticed when my PC started up with BDIS2008 installed, it took much longer for FirstDefense-ISR to initialize. A red cross appeared on the FD-ISR icon and remained there until I closed out of BitDefender's "buy now" and "register" nag screens.

3. Karen76

Karen76 Registered Member

It took four reboots, but BDIS2008 finally appears to be functioning properly on my PC. It's "quick" system scan was extremely fast.

The firewall with default setting still gets a perfect score at ShieldsUp! and now it's not interfering with MSN and Opera. There are a couple peculiarities with the firewall, though. First, it operates on a "whitelist" of programs BitDefender already approved. This explains why it allows SpywareBlaster to access the Internet for updates without asking permission. It blocks AVG Anti-Spyware and SUPERAntiSpyware since they're not on the whitelist (AVG antivirus is listed). However, it allows Ace Utilities and TuneUp Utilities to check for updates and they're not on the whitelist.

Second, when most firewalls block a program they give you a popup asking you to allow, deny or create a rule. BDIS2008 asks you to allow or block, but there's no option to create a rule. Once I allow a program, however, BitDefender evidently creates a rule as that program isn't stopped again.

4. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

The big problem is also that those security suites have aggressive presets, the same with symantec, mcafee & co. I hate it if a antivirus guard erases all apps without asking for permission and AV companies love to make users sheep-like with guard turned on and erasing all alleged malware no matter if this is a false positive or not. I hate that, turn the automatic deletion function off except if your heuristic is perfect, but no heuristic will ever be perfect.

5. jlo

jlo Registered Member

I have had an issue yesterday where a new version of ecard virus (tracker.exe_ which I found was not detected.

However after a couple of hours it was detected on VirusTotal as Peed.il or somthing, so I updated by Defs and scanned again, no detection!

Rebooted the computer and it then recognised the file straight away.

Then later on in the evening I scanned the file again and on Virus Total it was now scanning as Deepscan Zlobgeneric so updated defs and scanned again but still showing as peed virus.

Guess what rebooted and then Bitdefender showed deepscan detection.

I have a nasty feeling that when Bitdefender is updating defs on Vista home premium its not installing them untill reboot (although on the program it says its been updated)

Has anyone else had this issue (and I will would have never have known unless I scanned via Virus Total)

Cheers

Jlo

6. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Please add new setting for email pop3/smtp scan, 'cause BD scan only standard ports and not non-standard ports (my ISP uses smtp 587 port).

Mike

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

BD's icon on the task bar does NOT show when BD has "unfixed issues"!!!

BACKGROUND- I run BD together with ProSecurity (PS). I must have answered wrong to a PS pop-up alert because PS blocked svchost.exe from loading bdcore.dll.

The fact that bdcore.dll was blocked caused BD's real-time-monitor NOT to run. However, BD's icon in the task bar's system tray gave NO indication that BD's RTM was not running. Fortunately I had reason to open BD's GUI, so I noticed the "Not protected" status of the antivirus module. So now it is fixed.

Even so, the fact that BD's task bar icon gave no visual alert of "unfixed issues" is alarming, to say the least.:eek:

QUESTION- Is there any setting that I may have overlooked whereby I can get BD's task bar icon to change its appearance when there is an "unfixed issue" with BD?

8. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

Pfffffuuuu,

OK let's go from the top :)

@Eldar
    If you are referring to the History link in the console, I must tell you that it wasn't built for statistics. I had no problem with the statistics from the Anti spam settings.

@Zombini we just see the future :)

@Bellgamin
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1365/1359910622_6ec2716100_o.png
    I didn't understand what more do you want to be available, please detail this "request".

@acr1965
    I can't find that post, give a PM with the address.

@The One
    We know what you are saying about the firewall and we will try to improve it. ;)
    The thing that the malware isn't blocked when transfered is really bad, but if the malware will be added to our detection there will be no problems, so you can send me a PM with that website.

@jlo
    The bugs related to the anti spam toolbar are in testing now an d we know about it. My advice to you is to continuously send feedback to the classic support.

@Nubiatech
    We will also inspect this issue and find out if this is really a FP or a real problem.

@Karen76
    I don't know if this is allowed, but you should check this KB. If this is a problem please remove the link.
    As for the rules you can create them very fine:
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1213/1359328667_6101ae4e67_o.png

The email scan on any port is a feature that we are considering.

And finally: There are no options to change the state of your tray icon, the only thing that you can do is open the console and check if any alerts are active. :(

9. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Hi

Allready sent it to the virus analyst on your forum

10. EsoxLucius

That's a good thing, it was the only thing that I could have done anyway :)

11. bellgamin

If you are referring to my earlier post about update, I have found a work-around: namely, using the advanced settings updater. Very informative & speedy, too.

I am still seeking an answer to the (apparent) fact that BD's icon gives no visible signal when its real time monitor ("shield") is NOT running.

However, my overall reaction to BD 2008 is VERY favorable. Even more, I like the fact that a BD representative is visiting & posting here at Wilders.

12. The One

The One Frequent Poster

|Thought so ;)

13. EsoxLucius

The feature when the tray icon is turning grey and reported thru a pop-up baloon what module is down, has been removed. Maybe by popular demand we will put an option to re-instert it.

Instead (I'm sure you know but... :)) you can use the the Scan Activity Bar to see if the firewall or the av scanner is down. Also you can check that in the console, more frustrating for some user less intrusive for others :) It was just a choice we've made.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

that scan activity bar is the most frustrating part of bitdefender.

no matter where you put it, it gets in the way of other things.

i think bitdefender should create a gadget for vista, but then again ... this is even more like norton, but theres is only a status one, not an activity bar.

15. EsoxLucius

A gadget for vista could be created as a free add-on for Vista, I guess.

16. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I agree with C.S.J. I'd like to see the scan activity and network activity included in the icon in the system tray.

17. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Thanks for the response EsoxLucius. :)

I'm not talking about the History, but instead Settings > More Statistics.
    See screenshot.

This counter will only show the mails scanned when that window is open. It doesn't show the total of the mails which have been scanned. :doubt:

A minor detail, but it's nice to know how many mails have been scanned since BD was active. :p ;)

Attached Files:

18. bellgamin

Please please PLEASE return this feature!

19. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Please add my vote to this idea!

20. elvis1959

elvis1959 Registered Member

I began a trial of BD Total Security 2008 this morning. Tonight, after booting up my computer and doing a manual update, I began surfing the net. 30 minutes later, I decided to open up the security center and found a red x in the security column. Upon checking it, I discovered that my firewall was inactive and not stealthed. Clicking fix, fixed it, but I am very concerned about (1) what turned off my firewall (it was working fine this morning) and (2) why did I have no indication of this until I just happened to check the security center? Also, how secure is BD's firewall as far as self protection against external attack?

21. Rdmart

Rdmart Registered Member

I feel left out.:( I suppose there is no future for letting users choose what components that would like to install. ;)

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I would like to continue using BitDefender as an on-demand only AV scanner, which I have had great success doing with BitDefender 8 Free Edition.

My attempts to do this with BitDefender 10 Free Edition did not go well (using bitdefender_free_v10.exe).

It seems that enough services and shields were being installed for a full time resident protection AV. I don't recall this being the case with BitDefender 8 Free Edition.

What I would like to know is, what services can I/should I disable in BitDefender 10 Free Edition to make this program an on-demand scanner only?

For example, vsserv.exe, some sort of library process, keeps wanting to act as a server, according to ZoneAlarm. It is not needed for on-demand scanning, is it?

And BDAgent.exe, which wants to start up, is not needed, is it?

But I believe that I do have to keep BDMCon.exe running in order for the program to work, correct?

So, if you'd really like to know what bothers me about BitDefender 10 Free Edition, it is that there seems to be a lot of stuff trying to start up that shouldn't have anything to do with an on-demand scanner.

Until I get this figured out, I have gone back to the friendly and efficient BitDefender 8 Free Edition.

Thank you for posting here and helping with our input.

23. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

My too!!

Mike

24. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

Hi

I decided to post here since everybody here is sharing the experience with BD 2008. What I'm going to say is also in the official BD forum and it seems that no explanation has been carried out until now.

I had several episodes of the AV realtime scan disabled without notice:mad: . I only detected it because the graphed animation of the scanned files in the AV window was blank. To confirm that it was really disabled I tried the EICAR test and in fact BD didn't react to it.

Yesterday again it happened, after a Windows Update and IE7 reinstall.

The only solution is to repair BD installation.

25. cdr

cdr Registered Member

Today, I had the experience of opening up BDIS2008 control panel and seeing that all the modules were disabled, saying "Critical Issue" or whatever it says!
    And, the systray icon showed no hint of anything being wrong. The thing that concerns me is that for no reason I can determine, they became disabled.:eek: Will a BitDefender update ever cause all the modules to have to be "re-enabled" by the user?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.