BitDefender bdss.exe process problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Annorax, Aug 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annorax

Annorax Registered Member

I'm running BitDefender 7.2 Pro and it works great, except for one issue.

Sometimes, when I start up my machine, a process called bdss.exe takes a LOT of my CPU cycles (reported via Windows 2000 Task Manager) and the taskbar loads, but the desktop doesn't, and the computer barely runs and needs to be restarted.

And also, sometimes during normal use, my machine gets really slow, due to bdss.exe hoggin the CPU cycles, and plus bdss.exe takes up a good chunk of memory space.

Is there any way to fix this and still have BitDefender work correctly? Thanks.

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I'm not entirely sure what function bdss.exe performs for bitdefender, but I can report it does resist being killed (I couldn't do it after I shut down the BD management console).

Assuming it would be detrimental to kill it, it might be best to explore the reason it occasionally consumes so many resources. What kind of resources does your PC have? Is Bitdefender set to update frequently or perform full system scans frequently? Do you have real-time virus reporting enabled?

3. Annorax

I've tried to terminate it via the Task Manager, but access is denied. I also tried to disable bdss.exe from starting up using MSCONFIG but if I do, Bitdefender doesn't work.

I do have Liveupdates enabled as well as Real time scanning. I used to run an old version of Norton antivirus that had real time scanning and I had no problems with it. But I like Bitdefender better in every way, except this.

My system specs are: Windows 2k pro w/SP4, 512mb RAM, AMD Athlon XP 1600. It doesn't slow down my system a lot, but sometimes it causes my system to be unusuable (while it does something using my CPU cycles) and the startup problem is incredibly annoying.

Thanks for the help, is there any more info you need?

4. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I'm sure someone will be along with brighter ideas, but in the meantime...

I'd think you have enough computing power for bitdefender, so perhaps there's a conflict that's causing the behavior you're describing. The fact that you used to run Norton seems to also suggest this, as it is (was?) notoriously difficult to remove.

5. Annorax

Thanks for your help Optigrab, but it seems no one else here can help me. I'll just keep trying a few ideas I have and keep looking.

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Annorax, as Optigrab mentioned Norton can be a pain to remove, they actually have removaltool called Rnav, read about it Here , download Here. Personaly i would do the following, uninstal Bitdefender, run Rnav, perhaps one more registryutility like RegSupreme, and then reinstall Bitdefender.

Hope this helps. :)

7. Ember

Ember Guest

Having EXACTLY the same problem as thread starter. Could someone please take a look at this issue again? Because I really like BT... except for the silly bdss :(

8. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

bdss.exe is the bitdefender scan server, unchecking the option "show all scanned files" might solve your problem, the following quote is from bd (free) readme.txt :

Notes
    -----
    - When using the option "Show all scanned files" in Virus Scan you may experience an increase in virtual memory usage by one of our product's processes, "bdss" and/or "bdlite". We recommend you to use this option with care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.