Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Dec 23, 2012.

1. edwardmax2010

edwardmax2010 Registered Member

If Bitdefender AV free has only exceptions and quarantine like their main product then it would be the best free silent product for me. Adding the main concern for me, right-click manual scan speed.

2. edwardmax2010

It doesn't say so in the web page. It's like Panda Cloud. It can't be run w/ other antivirus but with exceptions like webroot, kingsoft, etc. When I installed it, it asked me to remove malwarebytes. I can't install it w/o removing Malwarebytes. I don't know why it needs to remove Malwarebytes.

3. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Has anyone successfully used this with Chrome browser? I tried it on a second computer today, and once again, I can't open any webpages with Chrome.

Also, on installation it made me uninstall MBAM. :mad:

4. edwardmax2010

Yes, Google Chrome 23.0.1271.97 m. Working all right.

@Iulika0069, do we need to create a bitdefender account to remove the 30 days limitation of Bitdefender AV free?

5. clocks

clocks Registered Member

What version of Windows are you using? Are you using any add-ons for Chrome.

I tried on two different Win8-64bit Pro computers with Chrome, and had the same issues on both. Starting to wonder if it doesn't like one of my add-ons. I think Im using ad-block & LastPass on both. Either that or maybe its the Chrome/Win8 combo.

The other thing I noticed, is like other BD products, it messes up running speedtests. Seems to be some overhead added there, that probably slows browsing a bit.

6. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

I have issue with high ram usage (more than 150 mega) but chrome works.
    I have Windows 8 pro 64bit too, Chrome Dev 25.0.1364.3 , ghostery, adblock+, lastpass and nothing else
    My ram usage and your problems may be part of the same issue.
    We have to wait BD dev trying to test win8 system

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am using it with Windows 8 64 bit and my ram usage is no higher then when I use Eset or Avira.

8. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Nice one Bit Defender! Finally a free version of Bit Defender AV :D Will definitely try it.

Off topic: The old Bit Defender logo looks better, at least for me :p

9. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

No firewall, indeed.
    When we'll be able to make a firewall who don't need to be configured.. we'll add it ;)

Sorry, guys, but my team is "obsessed" with the auto-pilot stuff; heck, if professionals from security industry cannot decide or make 100% right assumptions that "this mrgsrvtmpl.exe app is bad for you, don't let it open the 53544 socket/port/whatever", how will your wife/kid/artist friend/gran'pa (or even you) be able to answer this in a right way?

If you are such an expert, then [maybe] this new product/concept is not for you :)

10. clocks

clocks Registered Member

No problem making auto pilot the default, but it won't hurt to add an option for the wilders type users.

11. zip

zip Registered Member

When BD is out of "BETA I" will try it again.

12. DBone

DBone Registered Member

And the Grinch arrives in whoville

13. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

What's the real need/scenario for this?

The most frequent case (99%+) is the one when BD has a false positive..
    Until now, we deal with this issues by passing them to the anti-malware team, and within few minutes/hours, the false positive was removed

Having the mostly-in-the-cloud engines, the modifications are instantly applied, no need to force or to wait the next signatures update ;)

For example, I've checked the .NET file that a wilders mention earlier (I also have the exact version - v4.0.30319), and no issue for me..

Still, we did't expect such a "heavy" opinion on exclude module :), so we'll get back to the drawing board and come out with a solution for this.. "Gonzales project" style :cool:

14. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

Yes; we are also working to reduce the latter scans to just a fraction of that's in the present

15. zip

zip Registered Member

It also made me uninstall Mbam Pro, fortunately it doesn't remove all of Mbam Pro folder contents, I download Mbam Free and clicked Mbam and it brung back
    the Pro version.

16. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

France, Iran, Netherlands.. these are countries when we already sell this product.. You cannot install BD AV Free :(

17. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

I'll get back with what we decide in this cases

18. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

Yes, it's mandatory

19. DBone

DBone Registered Member

My only criticism is the right click scan speed. I right click scanned the MBAM Beta installer .exe and it took nearly 2min to complete. Not the end of the world, but when products like HMP or MBAM and other AVs can do this in seconds, it's a pretty big gap.

Other than that, I can't complain one bit. I like the auto-pilot style of this software and in a few weeks I will install it on all of the machines that I maintain. :thumb:

20. spywar

spywar Registered Member

So all french users cannot install it ... :'(

21. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Are there limitations in the free version compared to the paid?.I mean in detection and update intervals etc.
    Is it the same engine as the internet security suite or a spin off like in bullguard and roboscan etc.?
    Thanks.

22. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

There are no limitations compared to the paid version.. At least for now
    We use the cloud version of the same BD engines used in Internet Security and Bullguard

What do you mean by "..or a spin off like.."?

23. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Thank you for the clarification.
    Sorry i meant it has been suggested on this and other forums that the BD engine in other products is less powerful and a stripped down version of the original engine.
    Thanks.

24. waters

waters Registered Member

So can i uninstall Traffic light and still get the same protection with this.This is working perfect here,very pleased

25. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

So far so good here too. My kids have not complained about any slow downs or anything. Will continue to monitor it but thanks BD!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.