Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Dec 23, 2012.

1. garrett76

garrett76 Registered Member

Don't worry about that. Considering the total lack of support and development of this product, I highly doubt they are going to add some new features. It would be already enough if the product won't be soon discontinued, imho.
    Don't misunderstand me, I like this product and the protection it offers for free, but I'm very reluctant to use something I'm not sure is fully supported and developed.

2. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

It is not fixed, because last week (about 7 days ago) logs button didn't work anymore, uninstalled BD free!

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, that's what I suspected, but just wasn't sure after not using it for so long. Same issues, same lack of fixes...

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't understand why is it so difficult to fix this one button. It's the one among 10 buttons in the whole app. How hard can it be!? Other apps have 500 buttons and they all work fine...

5. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

I'm surprised that they couldn't debug this Logs issue long ago, that is frustrating. Although I haven't personally experienced the issue.

6. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

Since the Logs button is (and has always been) working here, I'm wondering if the problem only arises with certain Windows versions?

7. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

A user posted in Bd free forum that he contacted support if Bd free is going to be discontinued or new version.
    They replied there will be a new version when Win 10 is released.
    Hope there are some surprise for the users.

8. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

If true, that's certainly good news insofar as continued development of the free edition! But even as is I find BD the best of the freebies.

9. khanyash

I too now sent an email to Bd support about Bd free new version.
    Lets wait for the reply.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Anybody want to bet as to whether the intermittent button issue will be carried over?;)

11. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Sadly, I don't think too many of us would be surprised if that were the case. :D

12. Pat MacKnife

There are many free alternatives AV programs using the BD engine (Avetix free, 360 Qihoo, Ad-aware,....) , so why is it so hard for Bitdefender to build a decent free AV
    In a few months F-Secure will also come with a free version called ultra light anti-virus (ULAV) Beta right now.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Only worth using is BD Free because it's using proper HTTP blocking and AVC. The rest are just dumb scanners...

14. haakon

haakon Guest

"Only worth using is BD Free because it's using proper HTTP blocking and AVC. The rest are just dumb scanners..."

Dumb, of course, being an opinion. BD-Free's background scanning is smart, just not popular with the geek set, me included. But I won't hesitate to suggest it to the mainstream user. Or geeks who can deal with it. It would be my AV should my income stream dry up.

Affirmative on the AVC and proper (really proper) HTTP blocking. BD-Free gets their rootkit driver and HIPS/IDS, too.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...free-english-gui.338408/page-123#post-2441227

Bitdefender Free is far, far more "decent" than any of the "many free alternatives AV programs using the BD engine." Again, it's just not geeky enough (read: controllable) and that is by design - says so right there on their Web site.

I'm no longer surprised at how many unfortunates are suckered into the independent free "Bitdefender engine" scam. An independent developer might do a good job integrating the core engine into their own protection code, but they may or may not include the BD heuristic components. The core engine becomes quickly zero-day ineffective if the signatures aren't updated at least every four hours and setting the independent product to update every hour, if such setting is even presented to user, does not mean it's actually downloading the latest sigs set. The only way that happens is if the developer pays for its product to directly access BD servers (or the server farms BD contracts). Otherwise you depend on the developer's servers' schedule, which is never disclosed.

IMHO, anyone who throws out "Bitdefender engine" in their product should include a disclaimer as to how they implement it. (Why BD doesn't enforce such contractually is beyond me.) One thing is certain, you don't get anything else BD with the "Bitdefender engine."

With strict consideration of Bitdefender, "Bitdefender engine" does not equal Bitdefender and one developer's "Bitdefender engine" product does not equal another developer's "Bitdefender engine" product.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2015
  15. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I've been using BD Free since the beginning of the year on 3 desktop PC's. I really haven't needed it but it's so light and silent that I just kept it installed. This is my go-to free av. It's effective without affecting usability, and that's all I need.

16. Pat MacKnife

If they rebuild this free version (design) perhaps i will try again, but with decent .... i was talking about buttons that doesn't work and never been fixed properly. (bugs)

17. khanyash

F-Secure Ultra Light AV Free?

In F-Secure ULAV forum, a user asked about license & the reply was---
    " The Ultralight product we have in beta is purely for technology validation purposes and there are no current plans to productize it. Therefore, the product does not require any purchased license. If, down the road, we create a real product out of this, we'll have to decide how the licensing of that product fits with our other offerings".

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

F-Secure will never make a free product. They never have and never will.

19. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

Nice post. Unbiased... to the point... and most importantly, in point of fact. It's all well and good that Bitdefender doesn't flaunt this app on AV-C, yada yada, etc. Otherwise they'd be tempted to charge a fee (nominal or otherwise) since it would probably fare quite nearly as well as the full blown suite. Bitdefender's claim to fame is not so much the strength of their firewall and all the tossed in bloat. It's all about the engine. KISS, and all that jazz... keep it simple...

20. khanyash

As others have mentioned Bd free provides excellent protection.
    IMHO, this is the best free AV for average users---
    Set & Forget
    Excellent signs/heur/BB, etc... (Excellent zero-day protection that is mostly missing in most free AVs or mediocre or just a GUI bells/whistles)
    Clean software i.e no craps, ads, popups, etc...
    Perfect for average users- Auto-Protect, Auto-Scans, Auto-Updates, Auto-Upgrades, etc...

My previous choice was Avast. Its a good AV too.
    But offers popups, additional software offer during upgrades, etc... put me off.

Now I install Bd free on all my family, relatives, frds, etc... system (average users)

My family's is a shared system (4-5 average users)
    I have Avast Internet Security, F-Secure AV & Webroot AV license.
    But I have installed Bd free on the system as I find it overall better for them.

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yeah, avast! is still a good choice if you deselect bunch of stuff during installation and pay some attention during program updates. Unfortunately, for that reason I usually just install Panda Free to people who I don't see again after I fix their computer. It's just a safer bet. With BitDefender Free, there is this problem if stupid registering. Either I have to make an account for that person or I'm not going to install it in the first place. I'm not going to use my e-mail, clearly...

22. khanyash

Why not use their Gmail A/c?

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Still, I'd have to contact them and register the thing. Not convenient. Also, if things break, they break badly if they somehow get signed out or something...

24. khanyash

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I had weird problems with BD Free interface popping up inside a game that I'm working on (NFS3 with applied compatibility fixes). So I had to remove it...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.