BitDefender Antivirus 2009

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by xMarkx, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about BitDefender Antivirus 2009. If you can answer any of them, that would be great. :)

1. How many processes does the program consist of?

2. How much memory do those processes consume, all together?

3. Would BitDefender slow your system down like F-Secure? Or would it be light and fast like NOD32? (for bootup, opening files, bootdown etc)

4. When a new version of BitDefender comes out (ie: 2010) or a new build that fixes bugs, can it be downloaded right from the program like a regular virus signature update, or does it require a complete reinstall?

5. Do typical updates require a reboot (because they're quite big)? Will it update at start-up automatically?

6. Are there any settings within the program that require tweeking in order for it to run better?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. gery

gery Registered Member

3. Would BitDefender slow your system down like F-Secure? Or would it be light and fast like NOD32? (for bootup, opening files, bootdown etc)
    It is lighter than F-Secure for sure and updates sometimes require a restart at least thats what happens with Total Security

3. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello xMarkx,

1. How many processes does the program consist of?
    It depends if you are running a scan or not. If you don't are using back-up. The amount of running processes is 4. (bdagent.exe,vsserv.exe,seccenter.exe and livesrv.exe)

2. How much memory do those processes consume, all together?

That is difficult to answer.

I don't have any slowdowns on my computer. Ofcourse opening files,extracting archives is a little bit slower. But that is also by other vendors. My computer has only 512 MB ram. I can't compare with F-Secure because I never used it.

4. When a new version of BitDefender comes out (ie: 2010) or a new build that fixes bugs, can it be downloaded right from the program like a regular virus signature update, or does it require a complete reinstall?

Product upgrades are always released trough automatic update. I mean build upgrades from BitDefender 12.0.11.4 to 12.0.11.5.(2009) Version updates from version 12 to 13. Then you have to download the new version. You can always upgrade for free for the remaining days of your current license key.

5. Do typical updates require a reboot (because they're quite big)? Will it update at start-up automatically?

No, only updates that needs to replace drivers. I mean firewall,scan engine,...

6. Are there any settings within the program that require tweeking in order for it to run better?

There are some options that you can use to reduce system usage like only scan executable files instead of all files,etc

Kind regards,
    Niels

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.