BitDefender 8 Standard-opinions please

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mistycat, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

Due to problems with my current AV, I am trialling AV's and looking for opinions on BitDefender (don't want to hear this or that is better or start flame wars). For instance, I have heard alot about BD being a resource hog but no problem there. It has quite the database but how is it with Heuristics and False Positives? Does BD ever reboot on virus updates or just engine updates? I have seen many nag screens but assume they are just purchase reminders. Also, VB awards aren't the endall for me. BTW, my resident AV is disabled. Thanks

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Good day fellow cat :D

Heuristics - BD will have a new heuristics engine by the end of 2005. Part of this engine has already been implemented, due to which BD is already decent at heuristic detection.

My current speculation is, when the new heuristic engine comes out, it could compete with NOD32, even though NOD might still be a bit better :)

BD does reboot sometimes, but not all the times. I believe it might only need a reboot for engine updates.

If you dont want to use a resident AV, why dont you try BitDefender Free Edition? Its free and does not have a real time scanner.

Regards,
    Firecat :D

3. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hi Firecat. You seem pretty knowledgable when it comes to BitDefender. Maybe you can answer this for me. When installing BD 8 Standard, you are given a choice of Typical (Recommended), Custom, and Full (Uses most disc space). What is the difference between the Typical and Full install? I have done both, but can't see any difference. As far as I can tell, they both seem to have the same configuration options.

I could check with BD tech support, but I hate to bother them with a lot of questions.

4. Firecat

Well, as of right now, there is no difference between the two types of installs. In the future, however, there will be.

5. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

Hi Firecat, thanks for the reply. I do want a resident scanner; just disabled mine while BitDefender is installed to avoid conflicts. Also, the problem I am having is with RTM and doesn't appear fixable; hence the trial. BitDefender looks and sounds good.

6. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Well by the time new engine comes out NOd will have versoin 3 ready.

Anyway Bitdefender uses too much resources to my liking. However if you have a powerful computer than it is ok.

7. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Thank you Firecat.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

What would be considered a powerful computer?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

9. Firecat

Reasonably powerful:

Any Pentium 4 or Athlon XP
    256/384MB RAM

Powerful:

Pentium 4 2.0GHz+ or AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    More than 384MB RAM

VERY Powerful:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz or better/AMD Athlon 64 2800+ or better
    768MB RAM

With 512MB of RAM, any PC with a Pentium 4 or Athlon XP/64 processor should not show any significant slowdown no matter how heavy the AV is :)

10. waters

waters Registered Member

Well i have used both ,and for me bit is at least as light as nod.

11. Mirin

Mirin Registered Member

I used BD on a PC with WinChip2 and 256MB of RAM for a few months.
    Scanning was slow but memory usage was okay for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.