BitDefender 8 free for 24 hours

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tsehov, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hemkop

hemkop Registered Member

Hey yes maybe the old version yeah, sure we can for ever discusst about antivir, avast, avg but ohh do not belive that avast, antivir, or avg will ever beat the kav, bitdefender or nod32.
    for me what i have read about little antivir and avast are both great and then 3:thd comes AVG, but these 3 antiviruses will not even come near the other three Kav, Bd and nod, of their Technology, sorry dude thats Fact.:eek:
    I dont say that antivir, avg and avast are bad, yes they are also growing up, but so are others av also!
    Bye good luck, please choise which antivirus you want, you dont have to bash other's and say this is the best and this is the worst, no antivirus is perfect, we see on jottiscan some av's misses some trojans, so you can never be 100% protected.
    Good Real Luck :D

2. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

I agree with you, no AV is perfect.
    Its the trick to find out wich program is perfect for you.
    As this is a forum everyone can speak out and say what he or she likes or dislikes about softwarex, otherwise there would be no point in discussing here.
    There is room for more (new) freeware antivirus programs.
    I hope there will be more choice soon.

Greetings,

PCJohn

3. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who i havn't yet, who provided info on this, and in particular Firecat and Happy Bytes.

Firecat also gave a very good link in post 57 to some fully working normally pay for software offers that are still available, even from last year !

The details that Happy Bytes gave about the win.ini file etc are very welcome.

It's still working fine, though i don't use the POP3 etc stuff, so i've dissallowed the server part of it.

Thanks again for all the input which really helped, and especially to tsehov for starting the thread.

StevieO

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

6. waters

waters Registered Member

Thanks Blackcat

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

!! Not mentioned there.

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Then choose a post code from the link below and use it. ;)

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~enigman/australia/postcodes.html

If a link has been provided for the offer, then yes, anybody can get these. I think some of the offers do allow you to choose your country.

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

And by the way, one can upgrade their current BitDefender 8 license to version 9 for free. Just download the new version and use the current serial/license key. I don't know if this will work for the licenses obtained through the PC User promotions, but its certainly worth a try. ;)

10. waters

waters Registered Member

Yes,email with serial gives a link to upgrade to version 9.I just upgraded

11. StevieO

I've updated BD8 to BD9. I chose to do a complete uninstall of BD8 along with a full Regseeker clean out, rather than install over the top which was an option.

Things seem a little smoother in general with BD9, but not much difference in resources etc. The only thing that's slightly annoying is the small delay in opening folders etc as it scans them, but i have enabled this option so i guess it's just doing what it's supposed to. Also when i try to DL something there are a few seconds delay before i can proceed. Similar thing here i presume ! This happened with BD8 as well.

Updates are blindingly fast from the BD servers, and often too !

My key says it runs out on 22-7-06 ?

StevieO

12. StevieO

I've since rebooted and found to my delight, that the key now runs until 18-2-07, great news !

StevieO

13. clique

clique Registered Member

Hi all
    and thank you all
    I got version 8 copy and upgraded it to version 9 just few hours ago. tested it with eicar to see how setting behaves. now whenever I delete the internet temp files or use ccleaner I have to click on 6 multiple elerts on top of each others. this happens even if the temp folder is empty. any clue how to stop this. Thanks again

Attached Files:

• pro.JPG
      pro.JPG
      File size:
      27.1 KB
      Views:
  14. chia

chia Registered Member

Try deleting the eicar files in Quarantine (if there are any in there) and see if that helps.

15. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Disable Virus shield (task bar BD icon then right click) and run CCleaner again. It looks like BD virus shield blocks CCleaner to do its job on that particular file.

tD

16. clique

clique Registered Member

no go. thank you both. I'm going to uinstall/reinstall. one thing I want to make clear though: can I install version 9 straight away and apply the key. Thanks

17. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

18. chia

chia Registered Member

Not to mention robust. Last update had 3500+ signatures :eek: . Updates seem to be on steroids as of late. :)

19. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Softwin seems to have its act together with this little evolution, blazing speeds, almost showing off for the Antivir guys.

20. aka:snowman

aka:snowman Former Poster

Had alittle free time so decide to test drive BD 9..........not bad......I just removed my regular AV's from start-up prior to install....an then just let it rip.......

had some minor issues at first.......during the first couple of scans the system frose.........finally decided to remove everything from start-up except BD9.......then it scanned 100% without freezing.......after that one complete scan everything worked as should be after I put things back in the start-up.........it works fine now.

am very satisfied with the AV I've been using but may consider BD9 at some future date.........looks pretty good.

21. clique

clique Registered Member

The more I test antiviruses the more I like NOD. didn't like the way BD9 handles viruses on nasty sites, I had to click on 30 alerts (see my post above) on a delibrate visit to one site where in fact NOD did terminate the same site in question with 3 clicks (alas, why not one click like Avast), Also I have to click them again and again every time because BD9 keeps on showing these alerts when emptying internet temp files manually or by ccleaner.

22. TAP

TAP Registered Member

With avast! Home Edition, you can use so-called "Silent mode" in Web Shield so avast! will terminate malware via HTTP traffic and automatically move malware to Virus Chest (quarantine) without any click, you will be warned by so-called avast! On-Access Message at the task bar only.

Attached Files:

• ws.png
      ws.png
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:
  23. clique

clique Registered Member

Thanks for this info TAP. I really do like the way Avast handles things. but I do feel (just a feeling) that I'm more secure with NOD. Also, on computers I tested I feeel (and again this is just a feeling) as if NOD is not there even though avast and NOD consume almost same amount of RAM, BD9 however is heavier on the same machine than both (NOD and Avast)

24. bathisland

bathisland Registered Member

This is what i get when i went to get the booty at the au site;
    :oops: :( :'(

25. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I think some of the members here, including myself, stripped the barrel dry!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.