Bitdefender 2013 IS Damage?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tomdy2k, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomdy2k

tomdy2k Registered Member

I spite of good ratings from the reviewers the user reviews usually aren't that good at all claiming that Bitdefender can cause computer problems down the road..anyone here have any experience with Bitdefender?

2. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

This was true a couple of months ago it was horrible

I made a thread about this:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=333556

But then I decided to give it another go after people have said they did a major update that fixed all the quirks and now everything is perfect been using it for 2 months, very light and it has the best detection rates / good removal abilities

never been more happier with an AV

Secure + light

give the demo a try

make sure to update it then reboot first thing

3. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

I recommended the latest BD to a friend a few weeks ago. He purchased it, installed it, and had BSODs every few hours, and some games crashed. He installed it on a clean laptop, had performance issues and BSODs like mad after a couple of days. Both machines returned to life after he removed BIS. He ended up getting a refund and buying Webroot, and hasn't had trouble since. I'd of probably told him to get Bullguard2013, but I had not tried the 2013 version yet myself, and I hated the 2012 version so I wasn't sure.. WR is fine for his purposes though.

So the general consensus I have seen is, BD scores good, but can have stability/performance issues.

4. tomdy2k

Looks like I may try again..was running it then could not get graphics on big fish game console..blank..re-installed win 7..:eek:

5. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Same here...A few weeks ago I had some problems.AV Plus 2013 slowed down my internet speed but after a second try all I can say is that I m very satisfied.It works like a charm.
    That's why I changed my avatar :D

6. waters

waters Registered Member

Fine here,try it then you will know

7. tomdy2k

I've bought more anti viruses the last year than you can imagine. Hard to satisfy:argh:

8. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

I tried the trial version a couple of days of Bitdefender Windows 8 Security, it was very smooth, I did not feel it at all on my system.

The best is to test the 30 days trial by yourself of the version you consider.

Regards,
    Guillaume.

9. berryracer

you won't be disappointed with the latest BIS after the update

it smokes every AV out there as it offers the best of both worlds, light as a feather yet powerful as heck which is proved by the consistent top results in AV comparatives month after month where as others such as BullGuard even though uses the Bitdefender engine sucks in every review I've read and gets lower score than Bitdefender Internet Security :rolleyes:

Don't ever listen to a BullGuard fanboy try it then post your results here after the update

internet browsing is snappy and detections are top notch

10. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I dont agree with your view on bullguard.I found it a very good product but you do seem to be forgetting that bullguard has a superior firewall to bitdefender in the outpost firewall.
    Ive recently changed to kaspersky as i want to use up my licence for it and it runs smoothly here with no slowdowns.

11. berryracer

I've had no slowdowns with neither Bitdefender's firewall nor BullGuard's/

Bitdefender has very good reviews everywhere. Why doesn't BullGuard have good reviews? it may have good technologies built in such as the Bitdefender engine and the outpost firewall but that's on paper. in real world tests, it didn't perform good according to the reviews i've read.

I still have my BullGuard license sitting there useless.

I am not going to repeat the myriad of troubles i've had with it and with their customer service accusing me of illegally using it on 7 pcs when I only use it on 1 just because I did a few reinstallations due to testing drivers and updating. the way they *try* to check if users are misusing a license or not is a joke.

Example, with Eset Smart Security or Bitdefender, they check the IP and/or the computer name that is using the license so they know even due to reinstallations as many times as you please, you are the same person.
    With BullGuard, they consider each activation a misuse and breach of the agreement, that came from their live support agent

I could go on forever but I really don't feel like repeating myself.

It is not a bad product, just not comparable to the kings like Bitdefender or Kaspersky IMO

As long as anyone is happy with it, good for him. But I certainly won't recommend it

12. cohbraz

cohbraz Registered Member

Bitdefender has great potential, but I have had problems of one sort or another on nearly every install that I tried it. Plus, I am not touching it until they offer an explanation as to what appears to be a data breach from their servers around December 24th.

13. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Maybe this does not applie but I have BD AntiVirus plus 2013 on three systems two netbooks windows 7 32 bit and one laptop windows 7 64 bit all running just peachie.The netbooks have been on for several months and the laptop just before christmas.The only problems my kids are having is its blocking there malware downloads.

Added another new laptop to the family with windows 7 64 bit and BD AntiVirus Plus 2013 and that one is running pefect. That makes 4 for 4.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  14. cohbraz

cohbraz Registered Member

BitDefender Internet Security is decent. I have had many more problems with their Total Security 2013. Problems include Safebox sync errors, firewall issues, permissions problems, and the wonderful must-reboot-after-every-update scenario.

15. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

This is one good reason why you shouldn't install the latest version on release. As posters have said above, lots of fixes were made in subsequent versions.

One major brand security developer told me recently that their 2013 business products were often released 6 months after the consumer versions, so they can iron out all issues before releasing to the business community. Makes sense, as you don't want a multi-seat corporation moving to a rival developer.

The problem with us consumers is that we're always keen to get the very latest version the day it's released (and often before the official release), then we wonder why we experience performance issues :)

16. Dark Shadow

I Have to agree that jumping to soon at anything to new is not always the best choice.

17. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Thanks to everyone who commented about this.

In my opinion, ANY antivirus program that needs near 1GB+ just for installation, is a problem waiting to happen. I honestly do not understand how some think BD is "lite" when one looks at the sheer size of this behemoth across ones drive, not just program files. It is not an issue of whether one has the disk space, it is an issue of how far does this pattern go for such applications, especially for a security application.

ANY AV has potential to cause systemic issues, usually not in regards to infections, but in regards to overall stability, due to the nature of the application. BD is no better at this than most others, and in my opinion they are one of the worst. There are some exceptions where programmers still code without an end product that is larger than some operating systems. Just my opinion. BD has some very nice features, very good detections based upon testing sites, but I could never recommend to anyone due to the above and my own experience with it for a very short time.

Also, thank you chris for your details you wrote. :) Indeed, we consumers are guinea pigs with a lot of software.

Jim

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  18. Dark Shadow

Sometimes a Antivirus or security app for the purpose to help stop malware or a virus from creating havoc may in it self creat more destruction then actual malware or virus.I had a few security apps my self destroy a perfectly good working OS.Kinda of a crap shoot IMO.

19. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Well said DS. I recently went lean on my system using nothing but Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and WinPatrol. So far I like this definition of "lite" ;)

Jim

20. Dark Shadow

Thank jim.

21. Bitdefender IS boot for me is slow. Very slow infact.

22. Dark Shadow

Maybe give just the BD AntiVirus a try,I dont experience any of the above issues on 4 machines.I never did like sweets that tries to be jack of all trades.

23. berryracer

So what do you use Bitdefender Antivirus with? and are you sure whatever firewall you may be using is compatible with BAV?

24. Dark Shadow

Windows firewall set to block all inbound besides a router firewall.The Lightest firewalls on the planet and never a conflict.:thumb:

25. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

This is riddled with falsity.

Which reviews are those? I see it scoring exceptionally well when the latest 2013 version is tested. 2012, or 2013 betas don't really count.

This is patently false. Bullguard has a very simple, and effective system. Essentially each PC with it installed, requires that installation to log in to the BG product with your username and password. This is how they establish how many PC's are running it - very simple.. You can very easily 'disable' and 'enable' activations from the website by logging in with your account information and hitting a few checkboxes. The only folks I see having issues with this, are ones that actually are trying to use a license beyond the PC capacity purchased. It is technically impossible to mis-use Bullguard.

Actually it is possible to mis-use licenses of BD and Eset because of their IP check system.

This is an absolute lie. You can install and uninstall Bullguard as much as you like, provided you never exceed the maximum number of PC's licensed. They don't even care where the physical computers are, as long as you do no exceed the login of your license capacity. For example if you have 5 PC license, you can never, ever, have more than 5 PC's logged in using Bullguard. However you can enable/disable licenses as you wish from their website, as long as the licensed number isn't exceeded. It's actually a superior system, but it is almost impossible to cheat the system. Are you the guy that was abusive (and verbally assaulting) to BG support, and they maintained professionalism with you the entire time? I recall logs being posted by BG staff here that made you look really poorly. Or was that someone else?

That's fine, but at least stop spreading lies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.