BitDefender 2013 Final released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by thanhtai2009, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jna99

jna99 Registered Member

Indeed, I have done something similar as to what you have done, not exactly the same, but experimenting with multiple products from different av companies.

I don't know how bitdefender will react when it encounters something it really wants to block or quarantine and defense+/sandbox is also on within comodo. I still think that only the firewall portion of comodo should be active and let the protection be handled by BitDefender (TS) 2013.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  3. Sher

Sher Registered Member

I keep getting that "critical error" notification from time to time. I don't know what it means, but apart from that, it looks solid.

I'm also waiting for Kaspersky to release their new version, so that I'm in a better position to decide.

4. Duradel

Duradel Registered Member

Swapped from Kaspersky IS 2012 to Bit Defender 2013 Total Security. Had some initial problems uninstalling Kaspersky which required a re-image of the computer from just before the uninstall.

Noticed there was an official Kaspersky uninstall tool which did the trick the 2nd time.

The first thing I noticed after installing BD TS 2013 was the crippling HD activity. Couldn't even move the mouse at one point even with task manager started. Had to do a manual boot and restart windows to get the activity to settle down.

After the restart everything seems to be going smoothly however. One of my biggest annoyances (browsing speed being slow) in BD 2012 seems to have been fixed and HD read/write activity after the first 5 minutes or so is relatively normal.

On the trial at the moment but might consider buying a cheap 2012 license and upgrading to 2013 if it goes well.

5. Sher

Sher Registered Member

I am not experiencing any issues with HD playback. Can you elaborate a bit further?

6. Duradel

During the installation process there seemed to be something locking up the computer. Could barely move the mouse cursor around, in the end I got fed up with it after waiting around 15 minutes and restarted my PC.

After the restart there was some initial heavy HD activity but after that there hasn't been any similar issues since.

7. Sher

Sher Registered Member

My installation was silk smooth. I used an offline installer though. The web installer is such a pain.

8. Duradel

I used the web installer which could possibly have been why it was such an awful experience. I have an issue where occasionally Fire Fox drops out and there's no connection for about a minute or so or until I kill the firefox.exe process.

The connection eventually restores but its strange and no one on the BitDefender forum has offered advice on how to troubleshoot that.

9. Sher

Sher Registered Member

I use Chrome. Smooth as silk.

And your problem was firefox-related, it seems.

EDIT: Just tried Firefox 14, and it was crashing a lot. It seems to me as if there is some kind of compatibility problem between BTS 2013 and Firefox.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  10. Duradel

After removing Webroot Secure Anywhere Complete I haven't had the same problems I had previously. I tried re-installing with the offline installer this time and the installation went smoothly.

Using Firefox 14.0.1 and so far no problems. Going to give this a re-try, got a cheap license recently in case I can't bear to be without it over the trial period :p

For those wanting the offline installer's you can get to the webpage they are on through this link:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35494

11. Sher

Sher Registered Member

I also had Kingsoft installed along with BTS 2013 when I was experiencing crashes with FF. You may never know with these security softwares.

12. Duradel

Are you still experiencing any crashes or did they stop once you removed Kingsoft?

13. Sher

Sher Registered Member

I did a clean install of windows yesterday. Kingsoft and FF are not installed any more.

14. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Just installed BD Internet Security 2013 (previously using NIS 2012) and I've noticed that my web browsing/page loading speed is noticeable reduced since installing Bitdefender.

Is this a known issue w/ BD.....and are there any SETTINGS tweaks (ie disable any particular features) that is recommended?

Disabling Anti-phishing causes a 'Bitdefender alert' (red "B" tray icon)....but I really need to figure out my BD is slowing page loading (as compared to NIS - which was fast and smooth).

Any advice, suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

16. Duradel

Do you have any other antivirus programs installed at the same time?

If you do you may need to add exceptions so that the files aren't conflicting with each other.

17. Amin

Amin Registered Member

for what it's worth , first i installed the bitdefender had the same problem and then i figured Google chrome was moved to the restricted group in the firewall but right after i moved it to trusted group , problem was solved.
    i can claim it has no effect on browsing speed now with all guards active.

Regards,
    Amin

18. Sher

Sher Registered Member

I'm back to Kaspersky Internet Security.

I had installed Bitdefender Total Security 2013 yesterday after doing a clean install of windows and it got corrupt in just one day. When I tried repairing it, my internet connection got killed and it never came back. Had to reinstall windows once again, which was so painful for me.

It's still buggy and unstable at the moment, in my opinion.

It also has issues with Firefox.

Kaspersky never gave me such headaches in the past. Much better software than Bitdefender in terms of usability.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  19. Duradel

To be honest my internet connection also got killed after running BitDefender's uninstall tool directly. Thought it might be a corrupted TCP/IP stack but even after repairing that there wasn't any fix. In the end I used a backup image I had from a week before which had Kaspersky still installed on it.

This leads me to think that there are left over firewall services which aren't uninstalled properly which can cause problems or that the uninstaller removes windows files it shouldn't be.

They mentioned it is better to run the normal uninstall from the windows control panel first then run the uninstall tool after to collect anything left over on the forums.

I do a system image once a week so its never much of a problem if I need to revert my files back to being usable. Going to keep using BD TS 2013 until it gives me grief but atm it seems fine and its barely noticeable.

20. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Why don't you use an ISR instead of reinstalling windows?

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Interesting - I've been running the Bitdefender trial in an XP VM and when I uninstalled it from the control panel (standard uninstaller) I also had a broken internet connection. I was able to fix it with "Winsock Repair"

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Winsock-Repair-Download-133614.html

22. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Switched back to NIS 2012 and my system + my internet is running much faster and smoother again.

I'm really not sure how some of these review sites rate Bitdefender so high. In my experience, it was highly overrated and doesn't hold a candle to Norton.

23. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Still these problems? I noticed all the above - lost internet upon uninstall, slow browsing, and so on - when I tried the 2012 version a year ago, and they still haven't fixed any of it? o_O

24. Moosehead77

Moosehead77 Registered Member

Of all the new security suites ive tested thus far for speed, Bit defender lays ahead of all others. I havent gone into testing for maleware as of yet. But purely on speed Bit defender hasnt caused a stutter while browsing. Norton and the Kap relatively tied for second. Maybe some of you need to buy a real computer. :eek:

25. markcc

markcc Registered Member

Same problem here. No internet or network connection after I uninstalled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.