BitDefender 2008 Beta Test Starts

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tec505, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's so crappy i'm not even beta testing it anymore. Installed it in VPC2007, checked over the program and trashed the virtual HDD image. After almost very decent BitDefender 10, this version is certanly a major downgeade in all aspects while not delivering anything useful. Program can be install and forget even without stupid half of screen big status icons... certanly the biggest dissapointment i've been able to witness from Softwin in all these years...

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Agree wholeheartedly

3. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Beta 2 released...

4. rbedy

rbedy Registered Member

The second BitDefender Total Security 2008 beta kit has been released and is ready for download at:
    - 32b: http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...rity_v11_b2.exe .
    - 64b: http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...rity_v11_b2.exe .

In order to test BitDefender Total Security 2008 Beta 2 you will have to uninstall Beta 1 kit, perform a system restart and install Beta 2 kit (location available above). In case Beta 1 kit uninstall process fails please use the manual uninstall tool available here: http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...nstall_tool.exe

Below you can find the lists of solved and known issues. Please review these lists before submitting a bug. Bugs listed in the known issues area that are submitted on http://beta.bitdefender.com by beta testers will not be taken in consideration for the final beta test ranking.

Solved issues:

* Antimalware > Contextual scan on folders fails
    * Antimalware > Game mode disabled on-access scanning
    * Antimalware > The On-demand Antimalware Scanner displays the scanning status correctly
    * Antimalware > File Zone for Antimalware is not displayed
    * Firewall > The Firewall module is not integrated with WSC
    * Firewall > Rarely on Vista at install time, the internet connection was blocked
    * TuneUp > For a large number of files, Duplicate Finder might be unresponsive
    * TuneUp > Registry Cleaner and Registry Recover do not work on Windows Vista with UAC enabled
    * Backup > On Windows Vista and XP, Backup and Restore Wizards fail to work
    * Update > Update does not work from a restricted user account
    * General > Disabling protection for a limited period of time does not work

Known issues:

* Antimalware > Move to quarantine action for on-demand and on-access scanning fails
    * Parental control > Web control does not block/allow sites added in the list of sites unless the site is properly formatted (www.[site]/)
    * Firewall > BlueTooth connections are blocked by the Firewall module
    * Antispam > Antispam toolbar fails to be displayed in Windows Mail and Outlook Express
    * Installation> Sometimes uninstall fails. Please contact us on beta.bitdefender.com for an uninstall tool.
    * General > Support and Help links from BitDefender Security Center do not work
    * General > About is not displayed when clicking About in the BitDefender systray menu

Use your BitDefender beta tester account (http://beta.bitdefender.com/totalsecurity/login.php) to submit feature requests and bug reports. Please note that your bug reports will be acted upon only in the sense that the bugs will be confirmed, fixed and marked as such in the next release, although you may be asked for additional information. For those of you, who created an account in the previous campaigns, please use the same username and password.

Here are some screenshots from the new Version:
    1.JPG
    4.JPG

Thank you for your interest in the BitDefender Beta Testing campaign!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  5. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Hi Guys

Is the beta version really that bad?
    Haven't been able to start testing but there is even no real discussion on their forum

6. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I don't know if it is "bad" but many people seem to be extremely turned off by its interface and dumbed down style. I don't think that it is what most people had in mind for the next version of BD I know it wasn't what I had in mind.

7. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Their user interface looks just like N360. Symantec should sue them. :)

8. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Re: BitDefender 2008 Beta Test Starts - Screenies

You can say that again.. absolutely no innovation from BitDefender.

9. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

They probably will.
    The Norton 360 is easier to use though

10. btman

btman Registered Member

Bitdefender just fell a bit down even lower on my list of fav anti-viruses if that interface doesn't change...

11. meto

meto Registered Member

BitDefender 2008 Beta1 or Beta2 in my 64bit vista & 64bit XP have often error .

12. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

Lots of bugs in Beta 2 still. The interface is realy dumbed down as said and even then it's not easy to navigate. I don't see the purpose of a backup tool or of the file duplicate finder tool that if you just click next like most users do, will delete all duplicate files(euh, maybe I wanted those 2 installation of Xampp!)

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Looks remarkably like Norton 360 to me, anyone else agree with this :blink:

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

as it stands now,

norton 360: 7/10
    bd total protection: 2/10

i cant see it evoling much either, i think BD should scrap this product, or totally re-think its design and feature-set.

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It is very difficult that this will happen at this stage of its development cycle.

16. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

normally, in beta 2 the adding of new features should be frozen and work only concentrated on improvements to what's in and bugs. so it will still be just as crappy (for some), just, probably, with less bugs

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i know firecat, this is what worries me.

18. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Come one guys. Give them a break. It's still beta. maybe they will change things. ESS isn't what it should be as well. Dr Web wasn't build in one day either

19. bluesprite

bluesprite Registered Member

The backup tool doesn't scan system and program folders, but there are still other problems with it which aren't less serious.

20. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Very Well :) But still, personally I was very happy with BitDefender 9 but version 10 has been a catastrophy to me and many others, And the tech help really only want you to have their software on your machine, they strongly encourae you to disable or uninstall any other form of AntiSpyware :doubt:

21. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

It's true what you say but maybe things will be better as the beta comes a long. Did you post this at the beta forum of BD?

22. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I'm afraid I didnt No o_O Never gave it a Second thought, Maybe I should do that :)

23. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Avg Suite cant beat it..keeps me clean !

24. rbedy

rbedy Registered Member

The Interface is changing , you will se the new one in the next Beta release.

Have a nice day.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  25. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

I hope the usability of settings too.
    In v.10 exclusions in "shield" are not so simply to use. A GUI more user friendly can only be a plus for this AV.

I still don't need a Total Security neither BD branded nor Symantec branded.

Best regards.
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.