bitdefender 10

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

They had it going so well, and rushed a product out that wasnt ready, we,, except maybe for the French, right Admin.

2. Jon_T

Jon_T Registered Member

Sat (09/09/06) I downloaded BitDefender Antivirus v10, did a full backup of system, uninstalled BitDefender Standard 9.5, and installed BitDefender Antivirus v10. (Win XP Pro SP2)

So far only experienced two minor glitches:

1.) As noted by Firecat during rootkit scan the progress bar does not advancing even though the number of files scanned count is increasing -- until rootkit scan completed then jumps from 0 to 100.

2.) As with BitDefender Standard 9/9.5, when doing virus scans the estimated time remaining does not work properly--at 90 - 100 will still show over an hour remaining.

No other problems/issues yet, no warnings or errors in Windows Event Viewer.

Current BitDefender Antivirus v10 status as of this post:
    Virus Signatures 484620
    Engine Version 7.08878

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Today, the antirootkit component was updated (bdardrv.dll and bdlite.exe) and now the rootkit scan progress bar seems to be working for me. :)

Nice to see BD fixed it. One thing I do not like about BD is that the On-Demand AV Scanner's various tasks are not configured for maximum protection out-of-the-box. The realtime monitor does not detect applications and dialers by default (though you can change this), and the On-Demand Scanner seems to be taking shortcuts on archive scanning.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It was about time they fixed the Rootkit scanner. Now it finally (actually) works. Don't really care much about progress bar as long as it scans. Scan takes like 10 seconds so it's no importance to me.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I do not use Bit Defender, but have installed the rootkit uncover beta2. It has worked well as far as problems are concerned.

Jerry

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5766/httpscanbk8.png

Good to see BD team finally doing it right. Now i'm just waiting for BD10 to preserve filenames of stuff detected by HTTP scanner instead naming them \httpproxy_346346349...

EDIT:
    Btw, just noticed that Rootkit scanner progress bar is working :) Fircat, try it and tell us if it works for you too :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  7. Firecat

I already mentioned in post number 153 that the progress bar for the rootkit scanner is working. :)

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Heh, i just trashed BD10. No matter how many times i'm inspired with it it's still not it. It's like a fat slug. And even moves like one. BD9 was slow but far from BD10 slowness. I just don't get it. Back to avast!. Folders at least open with lightning speed and games load with human friendly speeds.:rolleyes:

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

lol at least you dont use f-secure that is slower than bitdefender 10 i bet!!

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

If i'm honest, F-Secure was faster. Actually ANY KAV based scanner is faster.
    I don't know what the heck Softwin team did to BD10. At one point it impresses with it's heuristics, but on other point it's such a pain in the ass with it's speed. Damn. :ninja:

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore,

In my experience the difference between BD 9.0 and F-Secure is maybe 5 minutes in favor of BD. Both are very slow compared to KAV6, and NOD. I have not tried BD 10, and do not plan to do so.

Of the two I much prefer F-Secure due to the conflicts that I have experienced with BD. Having moved on from BD I would have no reason to return since I have tried KAV and NOD, and also F-Secure.

None of them slows my system to any degree, and that is not a concern. I am also not concerned with the longer scan times, although the very short scans of KAV6 are very nice for a quick check after scanning.

I must admit that since you obviously dislike F-Secure, I wonder why do you not move to one that suits you better?

Best,
    Jerry

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have problems with conflicts with f-secure and also its annoying that it doesnt tell you what it has scanned like any other av its strange and annoying. the interface on the other av's is much better. sure it looks sorta nice it doesnt have what i want. with kaspersky you can choose lots of options it tells what it has scanned how many files it has scanned.

it has been annoying me recently since i know i can get same protection else where from same price or less and with almost no impact on my system. but my license runs out in january. so do i waste the months remaining but then have a faster pc and be much happier about it. or do I wait till the end and be annoyed about it. I want to see what antivir suite turns out like in the end. with kaspersky you have to add some stuff to trusted list sometimes because opther wise it dont work to well with it. where as with nod32 and antivir I dont know of any conflicts with the software I use.
    i dont really have any need for antispam since my isp has a great spam filter and i dont get to much spam anyway.
    parential control no need for. so i just need antivirus and firewall really. from about june I have basically tested all main av's and my short list is kaspersky antivir and nod32. because bitdefender is to buggy atm.

i used to really like f-secure but the 2006 version hasnt really been to good to me sure it protects me but slows me down.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I would not attempt to defend F-Secure, and I personally prefer KAV6 to anything I have tried.
    I am using F-Secure because of the 1 year free trial, and I do like it. It has not caused me any problems. I don't know if I will keep it when the trial is up.

But my question is why do you keep an AV you do not like when you know of some you do like?

I do not like BD because of my experience with it. So I ditched it and went to several trials and settled on KAV6.

My thinking is that life is too short, and has too many problems without putting up with an AV that frustrates or irritates me.

Best,
    Jerry

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I do see your point but if i done that I would baically have to give my own money to my dad to get him to buy it. thats mainly why. but i hope to get rid of it because over the lats month its driving me really insane.

if you turn of "scan new and changed files only" options in file av and mail av i think you would have the same sort of problems. but im not completely certain i dont reccemend you try it but i want someone to. because if it does its not completely f-secures fault its then partly kaspersky's engines fault.

15. Firecat

Getting back to BitDefender 10 discussion, I wanted to know if someone else is experiencing this bug or whether I'm the only one (see screenshot).

Why is there even a window for Quarantine options when you can set nothing? o_O

Attached Files:

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

weird!

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

When I "turn off" the scan new and changed files only, I does take longer. If I recall correctly it takes about 40 minutes. NOD took slightly over 30. I don't bother about the extra 10 minutes, as when I scan I just go do something else. I see no reason to scan when I want to use the computer.

Best,
    Jerry

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what i ment jerry was to turn on "scan new and changed files" option in file av and mail av. i didnt mean a on demand scan. i ment real time scanning by file av and mail av. so if you turn of scan new anc changed files only in file av and mail va then open up folders they will by some delay.

also as for scan time 40minutes is quite short time anyway. f-secure takes around 1.5-2hours on this pc so i dont run it to often. got about 53gb of data. antivir and nod32 have normal fast scanning but kaspersky is faster after first scan.

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Look, an inside look at Bitdefender. A company who had it all, coming their way but, didn’t take the time to listen to the people who participated in their beta program. Now, they are trying to play catch up after releasing a product that want ready for prime time. I do think in the end, say spring, they will be a contender again.

Now a word to all you software vendors. If you aren’t going to listen to all the beta testers that you so graciously give your software to, then this is what you get. The success to a valid beta program is one that is closed, that testers are required to sign a NDA, and are required to report about the product a certain amount of times per week. For doing so, 3 years of free service. If Eset has the vision, this is what I would do, or, they may already be.

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

all software devolopers need to listen to there beta testers and spend more time on the beta program so you dont get a buggy realesed version

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I've reported like 12 bugs, some of them major ones. Most of them were fixed like 15 days from release, some are still not fixed. In such cases i really wonder why i even bother when i know that i'm right...

22. theshadow247

theshadow247 Registered Member

just a couple of guestions about b.d.10.first is there a option to delete spyware that is found on a system scan ? and is eny one else still getting the message engine initialization failed when trying to do a scan with the rootkit ?

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Use the updater. They fixed this engine initialization failed bug for Rootkit Scanner.

24. theshadow247

theshadow247 Registered Member

hi.RejZoR.after installing and doing the first update of 3423.signatures (give or take) and a full system scan.i tryed to do a rootkit scan and get the engine failed message.i have tryed with three diffrent installers and i keep getting the message..

25. timcan

timcan Registered Member

@ Firecat, I have no complaints with bd v10 since upgrading a week or so ago.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.