bitdefender 10

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

More problems with BD 10. When I first start up my computer, BD doesn't load. No icon in the task bar. I have to reboot, and then it loads. That gets a little old after a while. Also, I try to register to open an account. When it asks for my license key, I copy and paste it in the box, then it tells me there is an error in license length. That's impossible since I used it to register when I first installed BD. It may be a very good AV, but I'm getting frustrated with these nagging problems.

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Curiously, my account still says I've got BitDefender 8 Professional Plus, even though I had purchased version 9!

3. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I have the same problem and have received a reply from support some time ago. They said that they sometimes use keys for BitDefender 8 Standard to register BitDefender 9 Standard, which is strange. However, they went on to say that the key for 8 will not cause 9 to run any differently, and as long as you have version 9 installed, and the key for version 8 is accepted, you should have no problem running BitDefender 9 Standard.

Since they key is for a period and not for specific version, they might use some excessively generated 8.0 keys for the 9.0 products. I purchased a retail box with a 9.0 key but the account said that it is for 8.0.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Thing thats bothering more is this. Why the hell is bdmcon.exe accessing my HDD like some lunatic!?

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/4457/bd10gonemadfi1.th.png

It's doing this all the time. Even if i don't run anything at all it'll still access the HDD liek nuts. When i actually run something bdss.exe is displayed as actual scanner.
    So what the hell is bdmcon.exe doing!?!??!

And is this new rootkit (updated not long ago) also crashing? Plus it's no different as Scan Memory task so i see it just as duplicated task (which is crashing)...

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I too have been having alot of HD activity with BD IS 10 installed. At first I thought it was my defrag software running a scheduled defrag. :ouch: I also seem to be having a problem with the firewall remembering the profiles I create for it.

6. theshadow247

theshadow247 Registered Member

i was having the same problem with the anti-rootkit crashing ontill i unchecked show all scanned files now it doesnt crash. but the scan scheduler is not working.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yeah, i noticed the same. Unchecking that fixed the problem.

8. elvis1959

elvis1959 Registered Member

I, too, have had nothing but trouble with Internet Security 10 . Last night, after installing the new version, it ran for about 30 minutes. Afterward, I got an error message that it could not load and that the error would be e-mailed to Bitdefender. Although the icon was in systray, All settings for antivirus, firewall etc. were changed and, in fact, it was impossible to activate the antivirus or firewall at all despite rebooting my computer for 5 times and attempting to relaunch BD 10. I am so disgusted that I downloaded (but did not install) trial versions of Kaspersky Internet Security 6 and the beta of F-Secure Internet Security 2007. My son has had a bad experience with KIS slowing his computer and internet traffic to a crawl. I had problems with F-Secure Internet Security 2006 causing random rebooting of my computers earlier this year. Nonetheless, both suites get good reviews. Any ideas re which of these might be worth trying instead of Bitdefender? I even considered Windows Live OneCare, but have seen user reviews complaining that it has no heuristics, e-mail scanning, and incomplete definitions (besides being written by Microsoft).

9. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I'm not too happy with the new BitDefender. I finally uninstalled it and started using AntiVir Premium again. Maybe when BD gets the kinks worked out, I'll give it another try.

10. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

Same here,1) windows security center says firewall is turned off when the firewall is set to allow all white listed programs. As soon as, i change it to ask all, the warning from the security center goes away.
    2)Http scanner seems to slow the web traffic, sometime even stops it. I have to refresh the page to see web content.
    3)When i run ccleaner to clean the internet cache, it takes much longer to clean due to slow scanning.
    4)Why does the tray icon disappear while it updates itself? Is the antivirus and firewall turned off while update is installed? What if some malicious code is executed during that time?
    5)In the registry monitor, one can see the browser extension and downloaded active x components to delete or monitor it. I deleted one of the downloaded active x component and checked Internet explorer if it was present or not, to my surprise it was there in the add ons list. (I restarted the browser after deleting)
    Basically, it scans slow but there is no doubt that it has very good detection rates.

11. Firecat

Yeah I received the same reply. Its just quite strange. :)

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

After initial enthusiasm i'm greatly dissapointed with BitDefender 10.
    It's a sluggish, buggy and not that innovative piece of software.
    Plus i can't use Cyberhawk with it (makes everything freezing like nuts) and closing eMule takes literally ages with it. Closing time of Opera also significantly increased.
    Detection might be better than in BitDefender 9 but it's just not it. Could be far better imo. Gone back to NOD32 and after license expires i'll most probabably return to avast! or AOL KAV if KL manages to fix the problem with game crashes. If not, avast! is the answer.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

or antivir

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i am dissapointed with kaspersky with there bugs atm and same with bitdefender.

15. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

@RejZoR
    Just what I was thinking. The new versions from both Kaspersky and BitDefender are very dissapointing. They all introduce nice looks and new features but the implementation is just poor, and users get products with many bugs left.

My other favorite, Dr. Web has a weird development cyclus. Their HTTP scanner (SpiderGate) is in beta since December 2005, wondering why it still didn't became final. This doesn't give me too much trust for their 5.0 development cyclus. However CureIt is and remains very very handy.

avast! is one of the few scanners with decent detection and nice features that acutally works and doesn't suffer under many bugs. At home avast! definitly came back.
    On my own computer I'm running Trend Micro PC-Cillin, because I'm a power user member, but if 2007 version remains having such huge memory usage (only have 512 mb RAM), I'll switch avast! too.

@lodore
    Not the classic with the annoying popup advertisement please ;)

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I ment the premium version which is a great version. and anyway dont conplain about it to much because you are getting a really great av for free, some people are so ungreatful. and about the fp's that doesnt really bother me to much i would rather fp's and it detect the real stuff as well.

I would rather use antivir classic with the annoying advistisment popup than using something combined with aol. the aol skin is ugly and i never trust anything from aol even if the data collecting is from the toolbar and not the av.

anyway the premium licence is only like £13 uk or 20 euros for a year thats nothing compared to any other av imo.
    easy interface light good reports great heristics anyway i will stop going off topic or the mods will pm me again

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  17. Sputnik

@lodore
    I'm not ungratefull, but the popup is way too annoying to me. The premium version looks interesting, but I'll wait and see how AntiVir keeps up in the near future.
    But I agree with the fact it's a very promising product for a reasonable price. For a free choise I'll stich with avast! though.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

wells for that lets wait for the new av-comparitves report tomorrow. I am really interested in that report. see if any av's have gotten any worse

19. Sputnik

I expect AntiVir to be Advanced+, hope that avast! got a solid Advanced now (I'm almost sure they'll be). But just let wait till tomorrow when we know it for sure :)

20. Hezakiah

Hezakiah Registered Member

I must be doing something wrong. I have Bd antivirus plus 10 and it's running smooth as silk. Though after reading all these posts with people having problems, i am nervous that mine is running nicely so far. I'll just keep an eye on things. :doubt:

21. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Just re the above post and links, is the Antivirus Plus 10 US English the correct one to replace/upgrade BD Pro 9. I'm currenly using BD pro 9 on one of my PC's so just wondering if this is the one that I'm need to download to update/upgrade my BD Pro 9.

Also would I need to uninstall my current Pro 9 or can I just install BD Pro 10 ontop and let it update/upgarde it.

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I've sent a nice loooooooong letter to BitDefender team. We'll see how serious they'll take it this time (considering beta reports were pretty much like poop in the ocean).

23. Firecat

Ahem....Their support team took a week to get my two samples added to their database (even more if you count that my original message was about 18 days ago, which they claim did not reach them).

So, do expect a reply, but not a quick one.

24. Jon_T

Jon_T Registered Member

See link below for download links and update instructions for various versions:
    http://kb.bitdefender.com/site/latestArticles/

Personally, I'm going wait at least a week before updating from BitDefender 9 Standard to v10. ;)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  25. Firecat

BitDefender Pro 9 users must upgrade to BitDefender 10 Antivirus Plus. You can install over your current installation, but it is anyway recommended to do a clean uninstall of the previous version and then install the new version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.