BitDefender 10 Free Edition

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Chubb, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

I found that the free edition includes some kind of e-mail scanner

Attached Files:

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Bitdefender is still buggy, period. They are on the right track, but still have a ways to go with stability issues.

3. aluckystar

aluckystar Registered Member

It is just an on-demand scanner, with no real-time protection.:thumbd:

If you want an on-access scanner with real-time portection and free of charge, AVIRA and avast! can be better choices.

Though it maybe have a higher detection rate as an on-demand scanner,
    it is much more troublesome than DRWEB CureIT cause you have to install it.

4. 031

031 Registered Member

Currently i am trying bitdefender free edition. It is just an on demand scanner and still takes 10-15 megabytes of ram . Every time i start a new program bdss.exe uses some cpu (well for firefox it was 3-5% ). It is just an on demand scanner and i am really confused with it o_O o_O o_O

5. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Does BD 10 free edition have an option to exclude files/folders from being scanned? The last time that I used it I could not find such an option. If not, I guess that means that I have to consider using BD A/V 2008. Thanks in advance.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

6. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello CogitoErgoSum

Normally you must be able to do that but I am not 100 % sure if that is also in the free edition go to antivirus,scanning,right click on the scan task choose change default scan path now you can add folders and files. What you don't wanted to be scanned you have to uncheck it.

Best regards
    Niels

7. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello Niels,

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

8. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

BD 10 Free DOES have basic on access protection similar in method to the old AVG 6! Get the test file, and save it as a text file. Try to delete it or access it, and BD 10 will prevent your accessing it even if you disable BD, place the file in a password-protected zip file, re-enable BD, and try to access the PWP zip.

Dave

9. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

I'm not able to verify this. Tested with both the EICAR string, and a real trojan. On both counts BD Free quarantined them on a manual scan, but remained silent when I executed them via double-click.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  10. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Do you have all 7 BD 10 processes loading on startup? That did it for me even with the test trojans.

Also, in trying to see if this really was true and not an hallucination, BD has just posted this info and more for BD 10 free at, e. g., Softpedia and several other place, and there's more info on it there. Really hope this helps.

Dave

BTW, if you monitor your CPU usage, you'll see BD 10 free monitoring your drive(s) every minute, which must be its B-HAVE VM.

EDIT: IMPORTANT Go to BD Console >> General >> Status and drag the slider to Local System, and BD 10 will be working fine with OAP.

EDIT EDIT: Also make sure that you have the latest version of BD 10 Free, and when installing, choose the complete option.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  11. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

AFAIK BitDefender 10 doesnt have realtime scanner. See what quote from their website : "...BitDefender Free Edition is an on-demand virus scanner, which is best used in a system recovery or forensics role.."

12. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

Sorry, but you forgot the process using 37 MB (BDSS.exe).
    That makes a total of nearly 50MB. That's progress ! ;)

13. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

If BD 10 Free is on demand only, then why is it STILL locking ALL virus test files? C'mon guys, we gotta figure out this mystery! I've got three friend using it as a test -- for two friends BD 10 Free locks AV test files, for one friend it doesn't.

Dave

14. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Sorry to double post, but here's why BD 10 Free's basic protection isn't working for some. For certain reasons, you'll get the BARE BONES basic AV protection if, and only if, you do not have users set up on your PC -- which is NOT recommended for ME, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista. (This has to do with what BD has to do to scan email and to find the inbox. Without users set up, BD free thinks that the whole drive is an assorted path to the inbox.) It's best to use BD 10 Free as an on demand only.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.