'Bitcoin founder's' Australia home raided

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by quietman, Dec 9, 2015.

1. quietman

quietman Registered Member

Reported on BBC website today ....

.... and his name is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto.

2. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Noted that pretext for raid has nothing to do with Bitcoin, but rather is the result of a tax issue.

That's how they got Al Capone and gawd only knows what they were able to obtain re: bitcoin.(but I suspect it is highly unlikely that anything bitcoin is kept on the premises and if so, is stored only in his mind and is most likely encrypted even in there:)

Encrypted Thoughts, the future of bio-tech and protection from the ever-expanding surveillance state, or do tin-foil hats actually work?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  3. quietman

quietman Registered Member

Leaving aside the tax issue for a moment ....

It's his alleged comments later in that article that caught my attention.

He isn't reported as saying " it wasn't me " or ," you've got the wrong man " , or anything like it.
    His main concern seemed to be about how many people would now know his name !

4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Very fun read. It might be him, but could be a hoax with elaborate staging. If it is him, it would mean some really basic mistakes in secure communication were made. I have seen it before. A math genius by any measure doesn't mean security protocol always gets followed. If this becomes the "verified" Satoshi Nakamoto (creator of Bitcoin) it might actually help our Bitcoin community. But then the mystery and fantasy had such allure. LOL!!

I am STAYING TUNED on this adventure!!

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Even if he is Satoshi, the drama apparently isn't about Bitcoin, but rather about his reportedly questionable tax rebates.

6. Palancar

Not wanting to appear rude or insensitive. Most won't care about his tax problems because someone with half a billion dollars could easily have paid "the fare" and still have plenty left.

The selfish community concerns will be his personal notes and bitcoin development diagrams reflecting any weaknesses or security concerns.

If it is Satoshi, he'll avoid jail in exchange for about half his Bitcoins. The community will suffer in the short term as 500,000 bitcoins will flood the market dropping the price for a few months. My prediction.

7. mirimir

Maybe so. If he still has the wallet keys ;) So maybe now is the time to splurge?

8. Palancar

That is a good question Mirimir. BTC jumped about 20-30 bucks today. That could simply be the "buzz" of the news, and have no long term effect. I held coins when they were just under 1100.00 in Dec 2013 and they were under 200 early this summer. Now they are double that. You have to be able to ride the roller coaster and sleep at night to jump on this train. LOL!

Regarding Satoshi having his wallet keys. Hmmmm, not much doubt here. No need to search the property its a brain wallet.

9. mirimir

I lucked out in December 2013, but quickly spent most of it on hosted servers. I prefer to just use Bitcoin as ecash. I earn a little when I have time, and I buy what I need. Sometimes, like now, I'm tempted to splurge. But it's a pain, because I have to plan further ahead, and end up getting stuff before I'm ready to use it.

10. Palancar

Call me crazy but if it was legal here I would place 10% of my IRA/401K in BTC. Maybe 20%, but that would push my comfort level some. Its a legal commodity but not available to any form of retirement accounts. Like all other things I do I have mastered buying high and selling low. LOL!

11. mirimir

http://www.coindesk.com/satoshi-nakamoto-unmasking-might-be-driving-bitcoins-price-rally/

If that's true, this would reduce uncertainty about those 1.1 million Bitcoin. On the other hand, if this is all faked, it could be a pump-and-dump scam by someone with much Bitcoin to sell. Hard to say :eek:

12. Palancar

I am rubbing my "crystal ball" but so far nothing. LOL!!

13. Palancar

You know this is a drama movie being lived out/created? Both Wright and his wife have vanished completely and his digital presence has been mostly scrubbed. Backups exist but online much is gone!

The landlord mentioned that Wright was moving out in Dec and heard him mention Brittan (like he would really tell him where he was headed). Gone and nowhere to be seen. Next, we move on to the Trust. Wonder if its offshore and outside of Australian "reach"? So much fun to picture watching the movie when it comes out!!

14. mirimir

There's a lot of nowhere in Australia :) Also in Southeast Asia, which is reachable informally.

15. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

16. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

For those who don't like the heart-wrenching gyrations in value, it looks like a number of spread-betting sites now cover bitcoin - this would allow you to hedge by betting against the value of the coins you buy/have, and lock your asset in at that value, whatever the market then does.

17. Palancar

18. mirimir

So is it a pump-'n'-dump?

19. Palancar

Hard to say, but if I were to guess (I am guessing) its someone looking for attention. A bump of 20 bucks per BTC in exchange for Australian LE climbing all over your case? This scenario is really wrecking my plans/timing. I scrapped up a few discretionary bucks over the past few months. I plan to grab a few more BTC but this has me sidelined trying to guess on the WHEN for timing. Darn it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.