bios or harddrive rootkit

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by will21, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. will21

will21 Registered Member

ive read other posts about rootkits, the reason for my curiosity is i have something on a harddrive maybe bios or a bit of both. i plugged this harddrive in to my brothers computers usb port and he got a buffer under run protection warning, and when i rebooted windows said one of or more of his harddrives need to be checked, there seems to be bad sectors on his hard drive @70 to 80% on a 1bt hard drive so a good bit of it is inaccessible, thats when i checked my harddrive and i have the same inaccessible sectors, well a long story short ive used spinrite to try and fix the harddrive but it throws up an error when it gets to the bad bit of the harddrive so does killdisk, plus my infected system will not burn disks and its the same as my brothers.
    what can i do, and happy new year every one

2. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hi Will,

For your Peace of Mind: download mbr.exe , removal tool of MBR rootkits; link at the bottom of the page in article 'Stealth MBR rootkit': http://www2.gmer.net/mbr/.

But also GMER antirootkit make the same: http://www.gmer.net/index.php It is better solution .

Happy New Year!

3. PROROOTECT

Also AVIRA AntiVir Personal ( = Free version ): on Configuration/Additional settings to notch: 'Scan master boot sectors'. To notch ALL Additional settings!:thumb:

4. will21

will21 Registered Member

every hard drive i put in this computer becomes corrupted (bad sectors) thats why i think its a bit of both (bios, harddrive) plus spinrite should fix this it boots from floppy b4 windows, and if i plug a hard drive in by USB when windows is running it does not do damage to the harddrive, but if i keep the harddrive in when i reboot, thats when it becomes corrupted, (found out the hard way) so it does its work b4 windows is running, and how do you run this mbr exe, from floppy?

5. will21

will21 Registered Member

and why any one would wright such a destructive program is beyond me

6. PROROOTECT

Fix bad sectors with CHKDSK .Easy ...

7. will21

will21 Registered Member

yes just tried chkdsk, said my harddrive looks good, press /p to check it anyway, but that does nothing

8. will21

will21 Registered Member

and how do you use mbr exe, is it from dos tried from windows but nothing happens, sorry for all the noob questions

9. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Everything has a root, find and displant it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.