bios attack rookit ,but the av do detect them?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by mantra, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i did a search but i found old topic and i can't add a reply

i found http://www.v3.co.uk/vnunet/news/2239320/bios-attack-renders-antivirus

i have some questions

do the av detect them ?

this malware could damage the bios only if i flash it in contaminate pc?

is safe add a password ? there are many tools to reset the password of the bios
    so the password seems useless

wich is the best av to detect bios virus and such malware that can install a rookit inside the bios?

thanks

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Lots of scare talk, nothing substantial.

And the most important thing - full admin privileges needed to achieve something like this, if at all possible, which brings me to: don't install crap and you won't get infected.

Mrk

3. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

It doesn't matter if the item in question is a BIOS rootkit or some lousy piece of adware. In order for it to compromise your PC, it has to execute. Flashing the BIOS is a process. Any default-deny based security package will prevent this from happening from within Windows. If you really want to put an end to concerns about what an AV might or might not detect, take a good look at default-deny.

To accomplish the same attack from outside of Windows requires physical access to the computer. If an attacker has physical access, all bets are off. You might be able to prevent them from using the CD or floppy drive, but you can't stop them from opening the case without physical defenses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.