Big problems restoring image on different system

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by vladdy, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vladdy

vladdy Guest

Hi,

I've been using Acronis True Image and TI Server for quite a while and always had this problem.

When I would try to restore image to completely different computer, meaning different mobo, gfx, basically whole configuration. After restoration, OS (WinXP) wouldn't boot (blue screen) without repairing it and going through all that non-sense and then at the end I lose most of the settings and have to reinstall some apps, which denies the point of making image.

Could you please tell me if someone else has similar problems or it's just me and what to do to avoid this problems in the future.

Thanks,

Vlad

p.s. I'm using TI 7

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, vladdy

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

You should not lose your seeting with a Repair Install:- #2

Or you can Try Sysprep which is in Acronis's FAQ:- #17

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I think there's some confusion. An image is used to restore a specific system to a previous state. If you restore that image to a different computer, it's not going to work! The drivers for all sorts of hardware from the disk drives to the video card will be wrong.

At the very best, a reinstallation of Windows to the same C:\Windows directory to pick up the correct drivers will be needed. Video, NIC, modem and other drivers will have to be reinstalled from their CDs if they are not in the Windows setup since they are not in the image. During this reinstallation, it's no surprise if some data gets wiped out.

Restoring to a different computer (unless the hardware is identical) is not what any imaging program is designed to handle.

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, jmk94903

True in part, but will work with a Repair Install.

That what I said in my link.

Because the Abstraction Layer of the present installation will be different.

But is fixed with the repair install.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Right we are saying the same thing, but you described the repair install much better. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.