Big Problem with boot disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by deliciousme, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deliciousme

deliciousme Registered Member

Currently trying Acronis home 11.

The backup part works fine, but I have got a huge problem with restoration from the boot disk.

The problem is:

I can't select a backup archive to restore from!

The "MyComputer"-part for selecting drives and directories does not show any drives!

The computer is a modern one, VISTA compatible, so this should be no problem.

I have tried the same bootdisk on another computer, which is fine!

As expected, there are selection possibilities under "MyComputer"!

What is wrong hereo_O??

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Actually the fact that the computer is a "modern" one could very well be the problem. What brand of motherboard does it have? Where is your Backup Image stored, internal or external drive?

3. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

This problem is becoming so common it's getting laughable. The ATI boot disk simply can't keep up with the rate of evolution of disk controller drivers so you need to ask Acronis for assistance. They usually create a new version specific to your needs and subsequently add whatever was missing to the latest build.

In the meantime, have you tried booting the cd in Safe Mode?

4. deliciousme

It is on external drive.

But the problem is, that no drives at all are displayed fpr Backup selection

5. DwnNdrty

Until Acronis catches up and includes drivers for all the new hardware, your best bet is to create the BartPE cd and include in it the True Image Plug-in. But I don't know if the plug-in is available to you if you are using only the Trial version of True Image.

6. deliciousme

If have found an old Version 9 boot disk, and this one is perfectly happy with the system, including the usb disk....

Unfortunately it does not recognize the version 11 archive...

7. b737x

b737x Registered Member

If you have more than one CDROM/DVD drive try this:
    Insert any CD to the remaining drive(s) when TI main window comes up - works for TI 11.0.8064 GERMAN rescue CD.

8. DwnNdrty

No it would not .. most versions are only backward compatible and in the case of Acronis I believe they guarantee only 1 version back.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello deliciousme,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

Please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also try entering the path to archive directly.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report, Windows system information and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. Yeph

Yeph Registered Member

Hello,

I had the same problem yesterday. I wanted to restore my backup-files, but the external USB-harddisk didn't show up. Some time before I hade made a backup file with the same configuration to the external USB-disk.

My internal Harddisk was completely formatted, but I followed the procedure as if to make a new backup-copy, just to see if my USB-disk would appear again, and, Hallelujah, there it was, with the backup-file (tib) with my Vista Oem and the 8 Giga-Recovery-Partition(tib).

Now I went back to the recovery-menue and the USB-disk also appeared in this menue.

Nobody knows why, but it worked!!! :)

Maybe this helps

Best Regards

Yeph

11. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Hehe, cool Yeph :) Good to know. Maybe some glitch? But you fooled it and found a solution, well done!

12. truthseeker

You won't believe this... But I went to restore an image from my external USB HDD, and it didn't appear. But I then remembered what you said and chose backup and saw my HDD there. Then quit that and chose restore, and all of a sudden my external USB HDD appeared :)

Have you let Acronis know about this bug or glitch?

13. Yeph

Yeph Registered Member

No, I thought they would read this thread?! Don't they?

I'm happy that it also works fine for you!!! :)

Have a nice day

Eddy

14. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Now it sees it, now it doesn't. Sounds like a test restore is definitely called for to be sure ATI can see the drive all the way through a restore, and without read errors.

15. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Yeph, truthseeker and everyone interested,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that the effect you experienced is caused by the fact that graphical interface of the bootable version of Acronis True Image is loaded faster than some drivers, so it might not see all hard drives right away.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

16. truthseeker

Ok, sounds interesting. Next time I do a restore, I will sit back and wait for awhile and see if my external HDD appears.

If not, I can alwaysl use the the technique that we spoke about above :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.