Beware of Acronis "Leftovers" Issues

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Arvy, Jan 17, 2012.

1. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Great Jim. I still have issues and have a Reflect Free backup, and even a TI, I believe.

IF I remove my old 250GB SATA drive and put in an unformated 160GB drive, will an Image that only used 42GB on the old drive restore to the new one? I assume I do not have to format as NTFS at all.

I have a VERY strange issue here where TI and Reflect can just freeze the system during a Backup. Funny, as it is NOT a windows issue as this can happen even with the rescue CD! So, I thought that perhaps the 250GB drive may be bad.

2. normanm

normanm Registered Member

For Arvy (or others who have used his protocols). First I have leftovers of ATIH 10, so my two questions are, 1. Will the registry edits you posted for 12 take care of the leftovers in 10. I noticed that one or two from your list were not in my registry and figured they were just added by Acronis in V12. 2. Do you have a separate set of protocols for V10 or should these do the trick? Also (and I know someone asked you for clarification and you said you could not be more clear).

******I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS SET IS ONLY THE UPPER AND LOWER VALUES:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Class = DiskDrive
    UpperFilters + fltsrv
    LowerFilters + vidsflt61 (NOTE: Last 2 digits of filter service name may vary.)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}
    Class = Volume
    UpperFilters + timounter + fltsrv
    LowerFilters

*****I'M ASSUMING WITH THE LISTS BELOW THE ENTIRE KEY SHOULD BE DELETED.

List of "required for boot" (start=0x00000000) filter services installed by ATIH:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\fltsrv
    DisplayName = Acronis Storage Filter Management
    ImagePath = system32\drivers\fltsrv.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\timounter
    DisplayName = Acronis Backup Archive Explorer
    ImagePath = system32\drivers\timntr.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vidsflt61
    DisplayName = Acronis Disk Storage Filter
    ImagePath = system32\drivers\vsflt61.sys (NOTE: Last 2 digits of driver name may vary.)

*****HERE'S WHERE I'M UNSURE. For the entries below, you want the whole key deleted as well?
    __
    List of other "required for boot" (start=0x00000000) services installed by ATIH:

afcdp - Acronis File Level CDP Helper - afcdp.sys
    snapman - Acronis Snapshots Manager - snapman.sys
    tdrpman - Acronis Try&Decide and Restore Points Filter - tdrpman.sys | tdrpm273.sys
    vididr - Acronis Virtual Disk - vididr.sys

*****BELOW I ONLY HAVE afcdpsrv. Again I assume AGAIN YOU WANT THE KEY DELETED.
    _
    List of other "autostart" (start=0x00000002) services installed by ATIH:

AcrSch2Svc - Acronis Scheduler Service
    afcdpsrv - Acronis Continuous Backup Service
    syncagentsrv - Acronis Sync Agent Service

First, thank you for taking the time to construct this. I tried ATIH cleanup tool, which has some confusing choices, and, in any case, left me with a BSOD.

Again, thanks for quickly reviewing my questions.

3. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

Another good free application is resplendent registry free version.Free version is good enough
    Registrar Registry manager
    Say you uninstall the app and reboot then run resplendence typing into the search function about an app will show remaining keys
    after running the search you can then right click and delete them.
    Have used this for various apps that you thought got it out but resplendent registry finds it
    Good on Acronis Malwarebytes and Zone alarm for example
    you can remove control set stuff etc
    just tick the boxes for key, names,values and data let it run

Link:

http://www.resplendence.com/registrar

4. normanm

Tyreman: I have JV16 Power Tools, a robust registry tool used by experienced hands. Ran it, searched for Acronis entries in the registry, deleted them, and ended up with a computer that was BSOD. Had to do a sys restore. The problem is you have to know what entries are safe to delete and what entries are tied to other processes and should be left alone. For the moment, without any specific information about the entries, I'm leaving them. Most computer experts will tell you that it's pointless to "clean" the registry because it has no impact on performance, either immediately or across time. The one glitch the Acronis cleanup tool did fix turned on USB drives. Acronis leftovers were preventing my flash drives from being recognized or in some cases it would take five minutes for the drive to appear in WE. Once I cleared that particular entry (whatever it was) I got my USB hubs back.

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Did you delete the Acronis entries and experience the subsequent blue screen before you read this thread, or after?

6. normanm

After, I think. Got rid of the USB problem by using Revo Uninstaller Pro to force uninstall (it's version of a cleanup) after a regular uninstall. Then, later, I noticed a lot of Acronis entries in the registry. Ran the cleanup tool and got the BSOD.

7. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

I have the newest version of JV-16 and never use it period, even its previous incarnations
    I use Resplendent its way better and for me does the job

8. Jstar333

Jstar333 Registered Member

I used the following technique to remove Acronis 2012.

1) Used Windows 7 Add Remove Programs to uninstall Acronis True Image Home 2012.
    2) Used Acronis clean tool.

see post 173 for sd memory card reader problems caused by Acronis uninstall.

3) Using Regedit, deleted the following Key folders and contents located at:

HKLM/Software/Micrososft/Shared Tools/Msconfig/startupreg

Acronis schedhlp
    Acronis Tibmounter
    TrueIUmageMonitor

Step 3 will remove the previous 3 services from the Windows 7 services list

4) Removed the following path from the Windows 7 Environmental Variables "path variable":

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Acronis\SnapAPI\;

9. normanm

Thanks JStar. I'd removed previously all you mentioned. I still have 72 acronis entries in my registry. View attachment acronis list.txt Herewith attached is a list of the entries.

10. login123

login123 Registered Member

So have you yet created an uninstaller exe that will do all this?

I have googled, I have Duck-Duck-Go'ed. No definitive answer.
    Am preparing to reconfigure some machines, would like to have a clean uninstaller before reinstalling my Acronis products.
    Thanks in advance.

11. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Acronis Rubbish

I hate programs that leave so much rubbish behind.

I vaguely remember having to manually remove Acronis dregs a few years ago.

12. andylau

andylau Registered Member

Re: Acronis Rubbish

That's why I use Acronis' bootdisk only.:D

13. HAN

HAN Registered Member

How do you do this? Image with something else, install TI, make the recovery disc and then restore back before TI? Just curious...

14. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i personally create the boot disk in virtualbox then extract the ISO file to the real machine

15. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Ok. Thanks!

I had looked around the web and didn't see a simple ISO download for this. I assumed it meant installing it somehow and creating the ISO from within the program.

16. andylau

andylau Registered Member

Acronis' website has Linux bootdisk(ISO) for paid users to download.

If you want WinPE bootdisk, you need to build by yourself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.