Better against adwares: KAV or NOD32?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Indeed, Oct 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Because Kav (or Nod for that matter) generally only detects some of the worst offenders, they will never detect every adware made.

Btw. If it had detected it, would it then have been best? You have to realize that whatever choice you make, it will miss some, Kaspersky is an AV that does not miss alot, even if it did not detect an adware for you.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Do tell...:D However KAV 2006 "pre-beta" has been available for a couple of months and is due to go into official beta within a month. Although there are some major issues (conflicts with other security software notably), it is shaping up to be an impressive security suite - including process, registry and scripting control.

3. hi guys

hi guys Guest

Hey Macros and HappyBytes is it normal practise that one vendor using others as reference and vice-versa?

How do you exchange samples, by single sample or but numbers (10 for 10) o_O

Also is there any contract between major AV companies to share big threats imidelatelly (line MyDoom...)? Or its just friend ship..?

Thanks

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi "hi guys" :) ;)

Usually one virus-sample for a six-pack beer, with a limit of 5 a day :D

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Beer or samples :doubt: :blink:

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    My point what "What good is it talking about upcoming versions? Be they out in a month, or two months....it's still beta, therefore doens't count, and if you insist it counts, well, we'll have to include upcoming versions of other AV products too...to keep things fair."

It's not fair to talk about the next version of your favorite software going up against current versions of competing software....that's just not fair.

My input on this thread...I think that KAV has a slight lead on ad/spy/malwares....over NOD32. However, in the past 6 months...NOD32 has really poured on the coals into this area of their product, and are catching up fast...closing the gap fast. Viruses and worms I view them as equal. I consider KAV and NOD32 the top two AV products out there when weighing in all factors.

So in my view, it's balance of the features you're looking for, and in my case, I prefer the big advantage (to me) of the light weight of NOD32....for barely a percent less in adware protection. I can game online, play Battlefield 2, with all of NOD32 enabled...any other AV product and I'd have to disable real time protection else it would slow down my fps substantially more.

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Thats right.....NOD32 is absolutely great for a gamer's PC. KAV is also quite light, and I really dont notice a speed loss with KAV 5 either, but lagging problems in Vampire: Bloodlines (a huge RAM hog) is a bit less with NOD32 running (as compared to KAV).

Hey....doesn't really matter. Pick the one you like best. Everybody's a winner ;)

8. YeOldeStonecat

Yeah a year and a half ago, or more like 2 years ago, when I was comparing the two..KAV was quite a bit heavier with the version at that time...so I chose NOD. If I were to compare the two now and make a decision...not sure which way I'd go...I know KAV did lighten itself up a bit.

Either way, like you said, you're a winner. I hold them both as the top two out there...and spend my time cleaning machines that use Symantec or McGrufee. LOL.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well i can't notice any difference between NOD32 and avast! while gaming.
    And some people even dare to say avast! is bloated and uses lots of memory (we all know how NOD32 fares in those departments:rolleyes:

10. YeOldeStonecat

Without question I can feel a huge difference between them on any rig...to me, on any rigs that I put them on, NOD is without question lighter. But it's two different leagues here....for free AV's...I like Avast...a tad slower and heavier than AVG...but IMO it caches more, I feel that AVG has fallen down in detection abilities.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

There is absolutelly NO difference in games.

12. YeOldeStonecat

Freecell or Solitaire? :D

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Half-Life 2, Counter Strike: Source, Quake 4 or Need for Speed Underground 2 ? :D No difference whether i run Kaspersky 2006 Beta, avast! or NOD32 in the background...

14. YeOldeStonecat

I want my 50 dollars back there....got too spoiled by the entire Battlefield series.

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's a very fine game, you just shouldn't expect too much from it.

16. manzz

manzz Registered Member

Hi
    To me, I find Nod32 and KAV to be great detection AVs. KAV I find, can slow me down, so I have got to turn off "real time protection" while offline, otherwise the startup of pgms can be affected. Nod32 is just in the background, and I can forget about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.