Betatest request for SB on Opera v.12.17 b.1863 on Windows

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Ilja, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilja

Ilja Registered Member

Betatest request for SB on Opera v.12.17 b.1863 on Windows

Hello Everyone, as a Dutch SB-Veteran, I've seen several announcements from the Development Department - before Brightfort - whereby in the future SB would also compatible protecting Opera - before Opera imitated Chrome - , after FireFox & Chrome (& ?..). Still there isn't any.

Since I use XP, therefore IE8, I encountered numerous sites that wouldn't accept me because of IE8. Well, there loss ;-). However for my TV-guide I really need Opera, normally my browser of choice for secure purposes, because their system-administration decided to block IE8 a few months ago.

So, since then I was breeding on a way to protect Opera the same like IE with SB. But the trouble is typing in over 17000 websites in my version of Opera.
    To make that "easier", I found the following work-around:

On a system IE & SB installed, open the Register-Editor (regedit)
    Navigate to & export the following key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains]

Open the file with the exported key in Notepad
    Search (checkbox Exact match) & delete all rules containing dword:00000002 (all bad sites are dword:00000004) e.g:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\adobe.com]
    "http"=dword:00000002
    Save under a new name (e.g. as myzonemap.txt) as a text-file encoded UTF-8
    Open the new myzonemap.txt
    Now You need to delete all the "garbage", use Replace all instead of Search, start with:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\
    Then:
    "*"=dword:00000004
    Finally delete all:
    ]
    Save the file again

Open the DOS-prompt, chdir to "My documents" (or directory You saved to), & type:
    sort myzonemap.txt /O myzonemap2.txt

Open myzonemap2.txt in Notepad & delete all empty rules (& all other leftovers that not look like URL's such as dword:00000004 etc.), & save it again
    Now still in Notepad, Select all. Copy

Use Excel or simular, & select the second column, first row (B1), & paste the content of the text-file
    Type in column A1 http://, & copy it, & paste it to the reminder of the column A, preferrable using Ctrl+PageDown.
    Set width of column A on Autofit or 7.
    Select the whole used spreadsheet: N.B: Also to the columns to the right, all URL's should be selected, that means at standard column-width You should select about column F.

Copy & paste it into a new Notepad text-file.
    Use Replace all to delete any possible spaces between http:// & the URL (Could happen in Excel 2007)
    Save it again as text-file (UTF-8!)
    Select all & copy from Notepad

Close all Opera browser-windows!

Now navigate to & open with Notepad:

%UserProfile%\Application Data\Opera\Opera\urlfilter.ini

Put the cursor under the rule:
    [exclude]
    Paste the content of the latest saved myzonemap2.txt (Use Enter to break the last rule)
    Save urlfilter.ini (as UTF-8!)

You're done. It will take Opera the first time some more time to startup, loading over 17000 sites to block.

Sorry for my quite raw writing, after posting I will attach the urlfilter.ini I created this way. The whole point is: Does it works? Can it be done easier, e.g. using only Excel? Just straight forward beta-testing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.