TinyWall Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ultim, Oct 12, 2011.

1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

My system runs fine, but may be more susceptible to major modifications causing problems. I don't need a outbound firewall, although WSA provides that currently.

I believe all of the issues should be replicable except the uninstall and last one. The first 3 are confirmed in this thread. Don't know what happened, but TinyWall tends to have installation problems on my system. Can someone else reproduce the CyberGhost and iTunes issue, cause I'm not particularly interested in reintroducing buggy software.

As for the Explorer bug, I thought it was QTTabBar, but uninstalling it made no difference. May have something to do with my FAT32 RAM Disks (always when download and editing music files like adding cover art), but it happened with two different programs (Dataram and SoftPerfect).

Those are the ones I noticed, but there may be more. Anyways, my experience with this software was pretty good excluding the bugs, but in the end I don't need it.

2. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

TW makes the rules for Windows firewall. That is all it does. Windows firewall does the packet filtering. There should be none problems with it except as I and some others told some problems with the GUI.

And maybe some missing rules that you can make on your own.

And when you uninstall it Windows firewall will be back to its virgin state. No drivers on your system left. Appreciate that.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  3. ad67

ad67 Registered Member

I suspect there is some hidden and/or protected service in Windows 8.1, that TFW nor I have been able to discover. I also have auto check for updates, but manual install, and Windows is able to check for updates, but when I select install, they are blocked unless I change the mode to "Autolearn". Also, if I try to manually check for updates, this is blocked, unless again, I select "Autolearn" - something peculiar with 8.1.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

So you claim it's bug free except the GUI. Fancy that, so the service and installer can't have any problems right? Wrong, try proving your point before dismissing. I already gave 2 examples that should be easily replicable.

Sure is easy making rules for files that don't stay on the drive. And CyberGhost+iTunes has no issues. :rolleyes:

Speaking like you know everything again, no it did not leave a clean system. There were various files and registry entries left over after an uninstall that left error messages. Good thing you're not the developer, cause blaming the user is never going to work. And I was wondering why I didn't post here earlier.

5. Jarmo P

{Unnecessary personal remarks removed} ~ TAS

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  6. Makora

Makora Registered Member

Hi,

I downloaded the latest TinyWall version. It works fine except for the Network Discovery and File Sharing. I have the lan section checked mark. It still blocks Network Discovery and File Sharing.

Has anyone found a work around for this? I'm at my wits end here. Please if you have. Can you post the solution?

I just hope this is not abandoned software because it is very cool in its simplicity. Simple is beautiful.

Thanks

7. ginzon

ginzon Registered Member

Can anyone tell me how to manually add entries to host file as Tinywall overwrites everything once I enable Protection against malware domains....

8. ginzon

ginzon Registered Member

Where is ultim? I tried to post a query via the id given on site but seemed it bounced...

9. Jarmo P

I think Karoly Pados, ultim has done his contribution to us security buffs.
    It was last time we heard any of him in this forum was last summer and anyways it was his hobby. Not something to make money.

It is not like him as a student wanting to immerse into like Win 8.1 when having not access maybe upgrading or interested and anyways we should be thankful what he did.

I am now using "abandonware" Sandboxie since tzuk left. I was also using kerio 2.1.5 or Sygate firewall long after they were not updating.

Tinywall has some real problems on my system with updating connections. I posted about them previously what they are. The GUI is just not stable in its unblocking options. That makes it a hobby one Windows firewall controller. But strong in blocking the unknowns.

ginzon, that 'enable blocklists' never worked for updating hosts file so you should untick at least that option of domain blacklists and if you you are using a hosts file, that too.

I like Tinywall with its limitations (and accepting bugs in the GUI).

10. ginzon

ginzon Registered Member

OK, no issues Thx for the info Jarmo...

Well even though Tinywall is been abandoned I guess I'll keep it on my gf's pc as otherwise she won't bother using one and not using anything or mis-configuring windows firewall has its own risk.. She don't like Comodo as she's not a techie so gets bugged with pop ups and allows them all..

I had simply wanted to redirect some ip's via host file but seems she can live without it....
    Thx for your help.... Hope atleast ultim releases its sourcecode for all users.. if that would be done could tweak something for sure...

11. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

Any news?

12. BrollyLSSJ

BrollyLSSJ Registered Member

Just uninstalled it because of many bugs. It seems to start WmiPrvSE.exe more often (had about three processes) than i.e. Binisoft Firewall Control. It also still crashed sometimes (problem with hips I guess). But the worst problem was, that it was cutting of my WLAN network connection when another computer was booting or shutting down. I switched to Binisoft Firewall Control and the occurences are gone. I still like TinyWall though and would like to see that stuff fixed.

13. ultim

ultim Developer

I will be bringing out an update to TinyWall in the next few weeks. I already fixed a crash issue in the service that could be reliably triggered with the right input sequence, and am also planning other changes, like a fix for Windows 8.1's Update, and update the digital certificate and databases. I also promise to fix the updating of the hosts file (and make it automatic), so that TinyWall users will never have to rely on an outdated hosts anymore, ever again. I will also read back some pages on this forum to check out the GUI problems that have been referred to.

Sorry for the long interval since the last update. I know I have not been as active as I was before, but I wouldn't consider TinyWall abandoned myself. Let's see what this update will bring :D

14. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Interesting, didn´t know about these tool. One question though, does it really don´t display any alerts? Why not display alerts about apps trying to make outbound connections? :)

15. ultim

ultim Developer

Because when alerted about a connection attempt, most people just allow it without checking for any details, which negates all the security of a firewall.

16. ultim

ultim Developer

Fixed. Will be in next update.

17. Rasheed187

But why not give "advanced users" this option? For me outbound connection alerts is one of the most important things in a firewall. :)

18. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

this is how tinywall works and many people like the way it is

19. ginzon

ginzon Registered Member

Happy that you are back.. Thx its a great piece of software...

One Request.. When updating the host file it would be great if the custom changes in the host files are maintained.

Eg. If I decide to block access to IP like this, x.x.x.x 127.0.0.1 .. I add this to the host file, but when Tiny Wall is configured to use the host file it blocks any access to the host file and also on updating the list those rules are not added back...

20. Rasheed187

Well too bad, looks like a nice app, but I guess it´s not for me. ;)

21. SnowWalker

SnowWalker Registered Member

Maybe something like Windows Firewall Notifier is for you?

22. Rasheed187

Yeah thanks, I will have to look elsewhere, and it sure looks like a cool app. :)

http://wfn.codeplex.com/

23. ultim

ultim Developer

Because there are already tons of firewalls like that out there, both free and paid, open- and closed-source. I see little motivation to implementing something like that in my free time, especially if I don't even agree to that principle of operation.

24. ultim

ultim Developer

If that feature is activated, it blocks access to the hosts file on purpose so to prevent a known attack vector. That of course makes it impossible to manually add entries to the hosts file or else the hosts file protection had no meaning.

25. ginzon

ginzon Registered Member

Ok.. Well then if possible give a provision from Tinywall to add some to the host file.. That won't raise such concern then..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.