TinyWall Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ultim, Oct 12, 2011.

1. BrollyLSSJ

BrollyLSSJ Registered Member

Yes, installed both (2.1.2 and 2.1.3) about 3 times each. I manually added the programs and exported them again. That was working, but not importing.

2. ultim

ultim Developer

Problem found, gonna post fix. Thy Brolly. 2.1.2 should be working though already.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  3. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

The file hashes aren't matching. I downloaded yesterday and today and get the same result. Is it me or are the hashes out of date? I'll hold off on installing until I get some confirmation. Thanks!

hxxp://tinywall.pados.hu/files/TinyWallInstaller.msi

Download hashes:

MD5: 04791e2b7f0cb254eb97e245400084ed
    SHA1: 51d2c2726e9498db062711cde581c7db61a8b5b4

Webpage hashes:

MD5: b4e10d22dc52be9b94d19a9cd89d0f3c
    SHA1: 29aeb4d2dea05678fc033aed21fee1f5accce862

4. ultim

ultim Developer

The hashes you see in your browser are probably from cache. I've just updated both the download and the webpage. The hashes you get for the download are correct, and if you refresh, you should see the same ones on the page.

5. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

There they are. Thanks ultim!

6. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Where is the change log for 2.1.4?
    Thanks.:)

7. ultim

ultim Developer

2.1.4 only fixes the issue (report by BrollyLSSJ) where the user often cannot save the configuration. The symptom is that you click Apply in the Manage window, and TinyWall confirms saving your settings, even though they aren't applied. If you then re-open the Manage window, you will still see your old settings, which are still in effect. This is fixed now, and was caused by a cleanup of code in 2.1.3 which was supposed to have absolutely no effect on behavior whatsoever, but I was careless.

8. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Thanks for the update. :)

9. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Is the latest build available on TinyWall's site, or do we download it from another source?

10. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

I got it through the update in the program (maintenance tab). I sure it is also on the site.

11. BrollyLSSJ

BrollyLSSJ Registered Member

Yes, it is on the site. I downloaded it from there.

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Issue #2 is back, it was temporarily gone but the frequency of occurrence increased until it happens all the time. I have to manually lock after unlocking or else it'll be in a locked state where the "lock" menu item stays there (doesn't become "unlock") and does nothing.

Also will there be temporary rules added in the future? Just much more handy with lots of rules to sort through.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

FWIW......just spreading the word :)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2421764,00.asp

14. Cutting_Edgetech

TinyWall 2.1.4 will not stay in Autolearn Mode. Each time I reboot it switches back to Normal Protection. When I used TinyWall before it did not do this. I'm just trying to make sure it learns all my application that check for updates at boot. I'm using Windows 7 X 64. Is anyone else experiencing this?

15. ultim

ultim Developer

Yes, that review is very nice, because it might be the first article that doesn't only test the interface of TinyWall, but actually reviews its security from a technical point of view. The editor of that review conducted security tests using multiple remote and local attacks, to see how good TinyWall's protection is. At the same time, he compares TinyWall's results to other firewalls under the same tests. It is an interesting read.

TinyWall's website always links to the latest public version.

Thanks, I'm gonna look into it.

Temporary rules are already supported since very long. In the dialog where you can edit the details of an excpetion, towards the top part of that window, you can set it there.

This has always been so, ever since the introduction of Autolearn. TinyWall will not stay in Autolearn or in Disabled mode after a restart on purpose. (Note for myself: This has been pointed out so many times, I should maybe put an explanation about this into the FAQ.)

16. Cutting_Edgetech

Even if you put it in the facts most people would continue to point it out for you lol I think it's kind of expected since many other applications stay in learning mode after a reboot unless the user select to operate in protected mode. I'm positive TinyWall stayed in learning Mode after a reboot for me. It must have been a fluke. I thought it was expected behavior at the time. It must have been something particular to my setup.

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

OK, hope that issue will be fixed. I remember it locking itself after a period of time, but there appears to be a bug in its state now.

Sorry I forgot about it.

18. DeerDance

DeerDance Registered Member

For some reason gpu-z update check is not blocked for me
    Can someone confirm or deny, before I do full reinstall?

• download any older version of gpu-z, I used 0.6.3
    • keep your tinywall rules set as they are
    • run it, observe theres notification to download new version
    • close gpu-z
    • set tinywall to block all, run again, notice theres no notification this time

19. ultim

ultim Developer

Downloaded gpu-z 0.6.3, TinyWall blocked it just fine. No update notification and gpu-z shows up as "Blocked" in the Connections window. I see no problem.

20. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

my first try on Tinywall today. right now everything works fine. :D

LIKE +1 :D

EDIT: I'm in love +99 :D

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  21. rigr

rigr Registered Member

Hi ultim and thanks for this brilliant tool.

But I have a little problem here that showed up already at version 2.0.1:
    TinyWall always starts up one extra trayicon (one extra TinyWall.exe can be seen in the task manager) at Windows boot. So now I always need to close one of them manually, otherwise I have to configure them both if I for example want to disable the firewall.

I have done the following troubleshooting:
    • Checked services and verified that there's only one Tinywall service entry that's set to automatic.
    • Have uninstalled the program, cleared all leftover files and registry entries and installed version 2.1.4
    • Checked the event viewer and there verified that no problem have occurred during the startup of the Tinywall service.

My system specs:
    Microsoft .Net Framework: 4.0.30320
    NICs: 1x Intel 82579V, 1x VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter

Thanks in advance and hope you have an answer to this :)

/rigr

22. ultim

ultim Developer

Hi rigr,

So if I understand you correctly, you see two Tyinwall icons in tha tray after install? Never had that before. On the other hand, if you mean that TinyWall starts two processes, that is normal (one for the service, one for the tray).

Tbh, I'm currently at loss explaining what you see. Prior to version 2.1, if the tray app started twice, only one was usable, so I cannot see how you had to configure them both. Since 2.1 you can start and use multiple tray apps, but they will automatically synchronize, so it should be enough to configure one of them, any of them.

But as said, if your problem is simply that there are two TinyWall.exe processes in the task manager, that is normal.

23. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

There's a bug with the lock/unlock option. I cannot lock or unlock without quitting first.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2013
  24. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

I see hundreds of them. :argh:
    Every time you click on the icon, new one appears in the tray and new process in the task manager.

25. J_L

J_L Registered Member

These rules should be added to avast! Antivirus Special Exceptions:
    C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\avast.setup
    C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastEmUpdate.exe

It was harder than it should be adding avast.setup, due to TinyWall forcing me to add existing files/processes and Avast automatically deleting that file after difficult to Autolearn updates.
    I had to create a dummy file, disable Avast self-protection, copy it with admin privileges, add the rule in Tinywall (Control Panel doesn't work), delete dummy, and re-enable self-protection.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.