TinyWall Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ultim, Oct 12, 2011.

1. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

If I uninstall TinyWall then re-install the zone is correctly shown as private. When the PC is rebooted the zone is incorrectly shown as public.

TinyWall is usually the last program to load at start-up so maybe there is a conflict with another software at that time.

2. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      33.1 KB
      Views:
    • 02.png
      02.png
      File size:
      6 KB
      Views:
  3. ultim

ultim Developer

The issue with the zones was that the controller didn't pick up the new zone if it changed while TinyWall was already running. So there should be no need to reinstall TinyWall, I guess it will already show the correct zone on your computer if you restart just the controller. The service (and thus the firewall) was still working with the correct zone, this was purely a UI problem.

As for the errorlog, the picture you show is from "Program Files", but that is not the correct folder. It should be ProgramData.

I've never tried "Privacy Eraser Pro", but even though it *should* be safe to run it (at least judging by the feature list of its website), according to your report it interferes with the automatic startup of TinyWall. I will check it on a virtual machine when I get back to my main machine in a couple of days, but for now all I can advise is to check that the Windows service of TinyWall is running. That is the problem most times if the controller shows a grey icon when it shouldn't be.

4. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Re-installed TW cleaned the registry now it does not happen, keeping my finger crossed.

5. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Blocklists Port-based malware, and Domian-based malware and ad blocklist.
    Where are these lists? I know about the Host list from the stable version. What has been added?
    Thanks.

6. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Port-based malware list is located in the inbound rules for Windows Firewall. The Domain-based and ad block list is in hosts file.

7. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I noticed a bug, latest beta.
    1.)Make sure your Private Zone rules are empty.
    2.)Make rules for Public Zone (you must be on a public network).
    3.)Make your Public Network to become Home Network in Set Network Location.
    The result will be, all your public rules will be available in Private Zone and your public zone rules will vanish.

EDIT: Nevermind the report, I'm realize my mistake
    Question: Is there a default rule to enable pinging in the command line?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  8. Melf

Melf Registered Member

Hello, I've started using this and for the most part am very impressed with the apparent power/simplicity.

One issue I've just noticed is that auto-learn gives any application attempting to get outbound the "blind trust" profile. What do you think about changing this (or add another mode e.g. "Autolearn - Strict") so that only the particular IP/port that was used at the time is allowed?

For example, I might like to use the online help features or auto-updating in some document viewer, and so want to allow access to very specific IPs. But I wouldn't want some malicious script that runs later to be able to transmit data to some other IP (e.g. in Russia/China).

This could be a neat way to have really specific rules in the FW without requiring much knowledge from the user at all.

One other criticism: The icon is kind of ugly when in normal mode :D It looks much prettier in any other mode. Consider getting rid of the wall that covers the green shield?? So petty I know :)

Edit: Following on from my first comment, you might consider a mode that can do auto-learning on only a particular application or window. For example I enabled auto-learning and used one application how I normally would, and then re-enabled normal protection. In that time iTunes helper and some Apple mobile device service dialled out (not that I care in this case, but you never know what lurkers you have hanging around). To avoid things getting too complicated maybe you could have:

Auto-learn (all applications)
    Auto-learn (single applications)

With a checkbox somewhere to indicate that you'd like auto-learn to operate 'strictly'. Just throwing out ideas.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  9. ultim

ultim Developer

Yes, this seems to be bug that I described a post earlier.

10. ultim

ultim Developer

Hi, thank you for the suggestions.

The reason I chose to use less strict rules in the auto leanring mode is because a lot of applications do not use specific ports. Chat clients, torrent apps, many multimedia apps and almost all games, they use different hosts and ports each time they run or a large port range. Because of some silly websites even web content for browsers can be tricky. If I created strict rules, in many/most cases all these apps wouldn't work even after the auto-learning mode.

I like the idea to create a checkbox that puts the learning mode into a more strict operation though. Auto-learning on a specific application is also an interesting idea. Unfortunately I have already delayed the current release a lot, and I must say "stop" to new features at some point or else I'm never going to make a public release. Be prepared to see some of your ideas in a post-2.0 version though. The toughest part of these features is to find a good balance between user-friendliness and security.

I know the icon is not the prettiest, but it is the best I could find on the net that was available for no charge. I'd gladly accept a nicer donated icon if someone were to have one.

11. guest

guest Guest

12. ultim

ultim Developer

I will release a new beta soon this week, including the resources needed by translators. After that the next release will mostly depend on how fast the translators are, but it will be an RC which includes the translations (and fixes if necessary), and if no major issue pops up, the final 2.0 soon afterwards. A timeframe is hard to guess, so I'd rather avoid it, especially since I don't want to put any pressure on the translators - I'm just thankful to them for doing any localization at all.

That is where I got the current logo from :D

13. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Icon looks fine to me, much better then PFW's icon. :D
    I PM you the error log.

14. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

A new MVPS HOSTS file is out, updated: March-30-2012
    I guess we have to update manually if using TW beta version, and leave "Prevent modifications to hosts file" uncheck.
    It was checked and the old host file was back.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
  15. ultim

ultim Developer

Normally TinyWall would update the hosts alone automatically, but since the updates are disabled in the current beta that won't happen. The next version coming this week will have the new hosts file, so there's still no need to rush things manually... But if you insist on manually installing a hosts file, you also need to disable the domain blocklist feature.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  16. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Thanks, I'll wait.

17. Melf

Melf Registered Member

Re: user-friendliness, the best way is probably to eventually have expanded the list of known applications, each with rules tailor-made for it. Of course this takes time. So a check-box to let people do their own version will go a long way, I will definitely remember to bug you in the future :)

The little green shield that is visible in the GUI when you select for the firewall to be enabled looks good. The icon in the system tray is different though - IMO you should use the icon from the GUI as the system tray icon (as you already do with each of the other coloured icons apart from the green one).

I know right! I almost uninstalled PFW immediately when I saw the icon :D Order of preference when evaluating security app:

1. Icon looks nice
    2. GUI looks nice
    3. Easy to configure
    4. Actually works :D

18. ultim

ultim Developer

TinyWall has won another "5/5 Excellent" award, this time from soft82.com. If they're giving out 5/5 ratings for version 1, they will probably need to intruduce a 6th level for version 2 :D

19. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Minor suggestion to the Connections Windows
    -Add option for Always on Top :D
    -Auto refresh (So that users can see in real time connections being created and cancelled)

20. ultim

ultim Developer

Here is 1.9.3. As I've announced earlier this release almost completely gets rid of profiles. Also, now I use Windows Installer instead of InnoSetup as the installer technology, which I believe provides a better experience, robustness and error-resiliency.

But YOU MUST UNSINSTALL THE PREVIOUS VERSION before installing this one. Repeat after me: "I will not try to install this before uninstalling any previous versions."

So, time for the changelog. This might be a bit inaccurate because looking at the git commits I cannot always tell which bugs were already there and which fixes are transparent to you because of the profile-related changes, but I'll give it my best shot:

- Completely new installer
    - Simplified exception window, no profiles
    - Updated, better looking UI by using TaskDialogs where it makes sense
    (for example, try whitelisting a known app with multiple exes, like firefox)
    - Multiple profile updates and new supported apps
    - Updated hosts file
    - Memory usage optimizations
    - CLR4 is now the default runtime (but CLR2 is still supported)
    - Make UI language configurable
    - Fix: Possible service crash on invalid update URL
    - Fix: Invalid UI state if network type is changed while TinyWall is running
    - Fix: Broken auto-learning mode
    - Fix: When searching for related exe, also look in the selected exe's directory.

I am also freezing strings and making the Localization Pack available. You will find the link to the pack just under the download link for v2. The zip file includes all information and resources you need to translate TinyWall into a non-english language. Get everything from http://tinywall.pados.hu/download.php .

21. kupo

kupo Registered Member

This version seems buggy, I need to reboot so that newly created allow rule take effect. But if I remove an allowed app, it took place immediately.

22. ultim

ultim Developer

Interesting... works fine for me. Anyone else having similar issues?

23. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I'll try to reinstall it.. What's the difference between allow outgoing and the default rule for unknown app?

24. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Well, after reinstall, importing the rules worked without restarting.
    Then I tried to remove the rule for firefox (applied without restarting)
    I whitelisted firefox again (rule was not applied).
    EDIT: Base on my observations, what's happening is that the allow rule will show in the GUI of Tinywall but the rule does not appear in the Windows Firewall GUI. If I log off (not reboot), the rule still does not take effect. With this, I think the problem is related with the Tinywall Service?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  25. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Oh oh, I found an error log, :D
    -http://sebsauvage.net/paste/?bd5857cad284843b#EfgdlTBEedFEDQLv8HHBT8neHAuKIH1hoQdWH8G6+t0=

it's located at programdata/tinywall

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.