Beta testing : Open/Closed definition.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dermot7, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Good day/evening,
    I would be grateful if anyone could comment or enlighten me on one aspect of beta testing.
    In particular, if a beta-testing period is "closed", in that one must register, confirm e-mail etc and subsequently partake in the testing, is it then usually accepted or axiomatic that the product is then not openly/publicly discussed until a later stage?
    Thank you.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello Dermot7,

Generally speaking, closed betas are not discussed on public forums. Vendors usually provide a special forum for discussing the beta.

Best thing to do is read the beta test terms as supplied by the software vendor.

In the case of Wilders Forums, several products are hosted here and beta products are announced and discussed here.

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Ron is right.

Closed aspect of beta testing simply means it is not open to the general public. That means you have to be invited by the developers.

Seperate to this closed beta testing often requires signing of an NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement), which is what would stop you being able to talk about what you are testing, testing results in public.

If in doubt ask the developers.

I once got ask to remove a forum post where I corrected someone about the name of a product because it broke the terms (it was clear I was not allowed to even say I was involved in the product, but was not so clear that I could not even mention the product or the company developing the product, even though it was on their website and google-able).

4. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Many thanks Ron and Nick,
    It's as I suspected to be the case, and understandable also. I feel it's critical, though, that the software vendor should provide an easy, convenient location to discuss bugs etc. like a forum as Ron says, because of the urgency/enthusiasm about the new application.
    Thanks and best wishes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.