Beta - Lsass.exe is back

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by Blackspear, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Arrrggghh! :D :D :cool:

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

ROFLMAO tell me about it, with every new Beta it was Arrrggghh! or Hmmmm they may have fixed it, with the new release it was purely Arrrggghh!!!!!!

Cheers :D

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'msuretheywillfixitsoonihope.

4. fredra

fredra Registered Member

5. Blackspear

Hi Fredra, thanks for the suggestion, all patches had/have been applied.

Eset have ackowledged this is a IMON problem, and are working on a fix at the moment...

6. Blackspear

A further update:

After the latest Nod32 caused my system to throw error messages galore up. I have finally decided to format and do a FRESH install of Windows XP Pro.

After installing I rebooted 5 times and every time it ran perfect, NOT a single error message...

Next I installed Acronis True Image and made a system backup restore point on DVD and a 2nd Hard Drive.

I then rebooted 5 times and every time it ran perfect, NOT a single error message...

Next I installed all my standard security apps and MS Office XP Pro.

I then rebooted 5 times and every time it ran perfect, NOT a single error message...

Next I made an incremental system backup restore point on the 2nd Hard Drive using Acronis True Image.

I then rebooted 5 times and EVERY time it ran perfect, NOT a single error message... Bet you can guess what's coming...

Next I downloaded a FRESH copy of Nod32 from the Eset website and you guessed it, now EVERY single time I have ERROR messages upon EVERY boot, these are BufferOverflow error messages and they are being captured by Prevx as well.

I Rebooted multiple times, ERROR messages appear EVERY single time.

Next I restored the incremental system backup restore point on the 2nd Drive using Acronis, and you guessed it back to normal, which is expected, as this restore point does not have Nod32 in it.

So there is no doubt whatsoever that Nod32 is causing this problem, as to why, I'll have to leave that up to the developers...

7. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

In order to remove some other variables, if you do a FRESH install of Windows XP Pro and then install NOD before installing your "standard security apps" and reboot do you have the problem?

If not then it may be an odd conflict on that specific machine with another app. That might help troubleshoot the problem for a quicker resolution.

8. Blackspear

The trouble is I have this exact same setup on 2 other machines (though they are Celeron CPU's) and it works perfectly with the EXACT same software. My client who has the same problem had only XP Pro installed when the error appeared, we had just formatted his PC.

I do have an image with only XP Pro on it, I'll try to find time to test some other install configs in the next few days, have guests arriving from overseas tomorrow so that will delay things a bit.

I have emailed a contact in Eset and they are looking at the problem still...

9. Stan999

This seems like a rare problem which may or may not be specific to a platform type. Is your client's machine similar to yours as far as the MB, CPU, etc.?

It would be of interest if you just did an install of WinXP Pro and then NOD prior to anything else to see if the issue occures or not?

10. Blackspear

Yes, clients PC is also Intel Chipset Motherboard, though from memory it would be a Soltek. I can't remember, but are pretty sure it is a P4 and not a Celeron, as he prefers each of his machines to have a little more grunt.

I'll try to find some time to test more tomorrow with the image and just Nod32 installed...

11. Blackspear

Well I have spent over 8 hours trying to find the conflict with Nod32 and a piece of software on my system.

If I install all the security software I have been using for months, EXCEPT the latest version of Nod32, everything runs perfect, no error to be seen, add Nod32 into the equation and the errors spring up straight away or within 3 to 5 reboots.

So now I have reversed the situation and gone back to a image of Windows only. Next I installed a FRESH copy of Nod32 and reimaged. Then added Prevx (as this will often advise of the error message before a window pops up), rebooted 5 times, as the error is also VERY intermittent, no problem seen with Prevx, so a further reimaged was taken.

Step by step I installed one piece of software at a time, rebooted 5 times, reimaged and went onto the next piece of software, rebooted 5 times and then reimaged again, a very slow and laborious task...

The result, there is a conflict between the latest version of Nod32 and System Safety Monitor...

So far not a single error message has shown up... thus SSM and Nod32 used to play well together, now they don’t, SSM has been left in its box until I hear further from Eset…

So, as to my clients PC, there is obviously a piece of software he is installing that conflicts with Nod32. He is going to purchase imaging software, and we’ll go through the above process to find what conflicts on his PC…

12. Stan999

Good to see you located the conflict on your machine! That should help Eset correct the issue.

Do you run System Safety Monitor on your other machine that wasn't having the problem?

13. Blackspear

I’ve sent the results back through to Eset, and will see what they can come up with now…

Unfortunately, yes, but at least this is a start, other than knowing it happened according to what Eset was changing with IMON, there was no other consistent factor…

I’ll keep posting when further results are found…

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

By all means, keep us informed!! :D :D :cool:

15. Stan999

Does this happening only on your machine that has HT? If so and you turn off HT in the BIOS, just for a test, does that help with the NOD and System Safety Monitor problem?

BTW, does your client, that has the same problem, also run System Safety Monitor?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  16. Blackspear

Will try to find time over the coming weekend to test this, as now having imaging software to play with on a fresh install allows me to play with various installs…

No, he isn’t running SSM, he uses various insurance software and remote access software…

17. matt

matt Guest

Any update on this problem?

I was getting the same memory read problems and shutdown when using a cisco VPN client.

There is a similar post here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=315960&posted=1#post315960 but not sure whether this has been resolved.

I would like to use this again but really with all the problems experienced I just can't afford it.

I was able to track the problem down to IMON causing the problem and only when connecting to the VPN.

Appreciate if anyone can bring me up-to-date on the latest and whether build 2.12.3 has resolved this issue.

18. Blackspear

I have posted an answer in the link within your post. As this is not a Beta issue any longer.

19. Blackspear

Defenestration - Your post has been removed as it was off-topic to this thread and did not relate to a support issue of Nod32. If you wish to discuss other anti-virus software, please feel free to start a new topic in our "Other Anti-virus Program Forum" found here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Cheers

Blackspear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.