Beta 1b scans crash Vista shell

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Chappy, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

Hey folks

I installed Beta 1b over top of 1a as a test to see how well this upgrade install works. It seemed to go well but for one window during the install process that had unreadable buttons, but I forgot to get a screenshot. I'll try to reproduce that later but for now, I am unable to complete a full Automatic Cleaning scan..(why isn't that called "Automatic Scan"??)

I have had to hard reboot all 4 times I have attempted the scan as it has completely caused the shell(Explorer) to freeze. First it started immediately on the first section scanned C:\Recycle Bin, got to 10% immediately and made it to 11% and then froze everything solid. Hard reboot and tried again with same results. Hard reboot and I emptied the recycle bin first this time, and the scan seemed to go on as it should.
    Later I checked on the scan (I have 3 HDD's with 9 partitions) and it was on my G: drive and stuck at 35%, again everything froze up solid. I hard rebooted once more and this time the scan got to my F: drive and froze up again.

Now, I'm not sure if this is because of problems caused by doing an Upgrade install or not, but I plan to try and reproduce this behavior (or not) by uninstalling all Eset files, reinstall the Beta 1a and try another upgrade install of 1b on top. If this behaviour continues, I'll try a clean install of Beta 1b and test this as a fresh install to see if it is related to being an upgrade install.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

Dave

Oh yah, quick EDIT - I also had a hard freeze-up after the first install, when I tried to access the Help files from the main config window. I usually try all the buttons on a new test install to see if they work and what happens. When the Help button in top right corner was clicked, it froze the entire shell, requiring the first hard reboot. I guess I had 5 in all....kinda forgot exactly how many times I've had to do that today...heheh.

2. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi Dave,
    I don't experience it here on my Vista Home Premium.

Just today I did an Automatic cleaning scan which was done in 28 minutes.
    No freeze, no reboots needed here.

However I didn't install on top, but instead performed a clean install. :)
    I can access the Help without any freeze too.

Hope the clean install will solve your issue.

Strange. :doubt:

3. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

Hi Eldar

Yah, it is strange.
    I can now access Help with no problem, but the auto scans still fail to complete without a complete freezup. I'm going to try 1 more and then go for some other testing if it fails again.
    I'll update this post with what I find, and I'll try to get that install popup box with the unreadable buttons, to show again so I can take a screenie of it.

Dave

P.S. - Also Vista Home Premium, 750G HDD (3 x 250 @7400RPM), 2G DDR2 PC2 4300, Intel Core 2 E6400 - 2 @ 2.13Ghz.

4. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

UPDATE

The freezup behavior continues...I tried one more scan on the upgrade install and it froze again on the exact same drive (G: ) and the exact same percentage (35%) as the last 4 times.
    Uninstalled the upgrade install and installed Beta 1b clean. Had to go out for dinner so I started an Auto Clean scan before I left and when I got home, it had frozen on the G: drive at 35% also...(AAARRGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!)

Now I'm starting to get a bit worried. In my Event Viewer logs, I have these entries..

ESS error.jpg
    ------------------------------------

I have made no configuration changes since...well, a long time and surely not since I installed Beta 1a, so this one is a bit weird. A search of event logs shows nothing like this before installing Beta 1b today.
    ESS error1.jpg

ESS error2.jpg

ESS error3.jpg

There are a couple other errors related to the last screenshots that basically say the same thing so I won't post those.
    I ran a custom scan of the G: drive, and it ALMOST froze again (@ 35% of course..)...it took 10 minutes to scan 3G's of data, which is around 5MB per second scanning rate which is Horribly Slow..so something is amiss here. I'm going to try one more Auto Scan now and if it freezes up again, I'm going to do a clean reinstall of 1a and see if the same happens with it.

Dave

5. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

I was finally able to get a complete scan without a freeze-up, but it hung for some time on the G: drive....you know where.
    But this time something was different...
    It detected a Threat, Win32/HackAV.A, and stopped the scan until I told it what to do with this file. Funny thing is, this file had been scanned by ESS at least 3 times before in the last 2 months and found to be clean, and the signature of this threat was added much earlier this year.

First question is why now? Why not earlier scans finding this threat? And why in the world would you stop a scan and wait for a user response on something like this?? Quarantine the threat and continue the scan and then ask at the end what it wants done with the file! If I had an overnight scan configured, which is how it is 98% of the time, I would get up the next day to an incomplete scan and an Alert asking me what to do and waiting till I answer before completing the scan....that would tick me off to no end.

Is that really going to be the behaviour when a threat is detected? Or am I missing something in the configuration that would change this behaviour, and allow the scan to complete and ask me what to do afterwards.

I'm still not fully convinced that this issue is over with either, I'll have to see numerous consecutive scans to complete before I'll trust it to not freeze things up. At least the scan rate was much faster this time @ over 38MB's/s, but I also clicked that Threat Alert popup right away too, otherwise that would be considerably slower.
    Please Eset coders, change that scan stopping behaviour...that's a killer bad design for a scanning engine to have.

Dave

6. fhaber

fhaber Registered Member

I noted the same stalls and CPU peaks during yesterday's manual scan. ESS seems to go into heavy thinking mode at the drop of a hat.

And I also was annoyed by the frequent alert popups during the scan. A normal user isn't going to have the patience to complete a scan if he has to sit at the machine the whole time. This is bad.

I'm undecided whether realtime popups should appear in manual mode. Possibly, since that would be used by an admin on a probably-infected and sick machine. In auto? I don't think so.

-Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.