Best Zone Alarm version

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by glentrino2duo, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muf

muf Registered Member

I've been using The latest free version 6 of Zone Alarm since February 5th. Waited a week or two to 'see what others found' and then usually upgraded to the latest release. Currently using 6.5.722.000 and find it stable. In the past i've used version 2, 3, 4 and 5. Although 6 uses more resource than the others, i can't say i've seen 'noticeable' slowdown. Works fine for me and plays well on my system. I'm also running quite a few resident apps with it and nothing seems to conflict.

muf

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I'm finally using ZA Free 6.1.744.001 and really like the simpleness of it. I really don't miss SKPF 4.2.3 at all. My PC is currently running smoothly, but I did switch from Antivir to AVG Free because Antivir seemed to slow down logging on and off. I"m not sure if there is any advantage of doing a clean uninstall, and installing ZA Free 6.5.731 now that I'm happy with 6.1.744. Right now as I'm typing this, it's only using around 12 to 14MB of RAM, and of course AVG Free is low in RAM usage too. This is important to me because my system has only 512 MB. Antivir was low in RAM usage, but the avguard exe would rise to 25MB after an update, and of course I would have to hit ok to close the nag screen. I realize it may have better detection ratings than AVG Free, but the speed of my PC (internet included) with ZA Free and AVG Free is better than it was with Antivir and Kerio. My vote so far goes to 6.1.744.001. Thanks

3. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

It's been some time since I have used ZoneAlarm, so I decided to give 4.5.594 a try and am pleasantly surprised - different than I had remembered. Uses only about 10MB for vsmon(7,124K) and zlclient(3,148K).

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

It looks like ZA version 4 uses less system resources than version 5 which is not surprising. Thanks for the comparison between Antivir/AVG and Kerio/Zone Alarm on the computer with 512 MB. I also have that same amount of memory and am using Antivir with only Windows XP SP 2 firewall at this time. I have not monitored how Antivir is running on my machine and haven't used any other antivirus or firewall program on my machine to know if it would make a difference or not.

5. duke1959

You know what ccsito? You probably also never got a virus or any malware either huh? Sometimes I wonder if the FireFox browser I use along with McAfee Site Advisor, and some common sense isn't enough protection? On the other hand however, I did have a TR/Clicker.CP Virus on my PC recently that Antivir found after I installed it, and wonder if the AVG Free that I was using before hand is what allowed it in. I like playing around with some of this stuff, but it is starting to run it's course. I'm beginning to think that Antivir PE, ProcessGuard Free, and of course ZA Free 6.1.744 may just be enough for me to stop playing around and be happy, and protected. Take care.

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Duke1959,
    On another forum, I did post that my PC got the VUNDO trojan infection earlier this year. One of my relatives clicked a pop up window for Winfixer which must have downloaded the trojan. I used quite a few online scanners and many of them did not detect the trojan on my system. I was only able to remove it using the FIXVUNDO program. The Antivirus program did not detect the program until the antispyware program was performing a scan on the particular file in question. It was like my antivirus program was asleep and needed to be awakened by the antispyware scan action. A lot of the antivirus/antispyware/firewall/other security applications have different detection and protection aspects. One set of programs may work fine on one system and not work on another. Each PC has its peculiarities because all of the system file and registry information is never the same. Safe surfing with whatever you decide to go with. It's too bad so much malware is out there on the WWW. When I first started working with computers back in the early 1980's, malware was virtually unheard of.

7. duke1959

Thanks ccsito. I probably will end up with the Free Comodo Firewall after next release. It's easy to use, and I like having something other than Windows XP Firewall. I wonder if Comodo would have stopped either your or my Malware? Anyway, I will also be using PG Free, and going back to Antivir PE. This combination I believe will be enough along with safe surfing to make me well protected. Thanks again and take care.

8. Siro

Siro Registered Member

The best version undoubtedly was ZoneAlarm Pro 4.5 never liked the products which came after it.

9. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Hi, I presently use V5.5.094.000 free and have no problems with it. One thing I like in ZA is manual update. I have looked through this thread and seen no mention of that. (Doesn't mean it's not there!)
    If my memory serves me right the choice for manual update in free versions ended in the latest versions.
    Does anyone know what version this would be if this be true.
    I like to have the choice manual/automatic update. Thanks. :)

10. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

ZA (free) users still have that choice.

11. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Thanks unhappy_viewer, I would like to have a look at a newer version and don't want to go all the way uninstall and then install and no manual update.:D

12. toasale

toasale Registered Member

I,ve betaed various 'walls and I enjoy and trust ZA Pro 6.5.722.000. Since I have a fab anti-spyware (Spy Sweeper) program, I keep ZA's anti-spyware disabled - it seems very elementary schoolish.

13. duke1959

What does vsdatantsys address, 6.1.744.001, and BSOD have in common? ZA Free. I can't believe I got two Blue Screens this past week. Maybe it's just my PC, but I never got one using Kerio Firewall versions 4.2.2 or 4.2.3, and other than RAM usage never had any trouble with Comodo Firewall. I really liked ZA Free as I felt it gave me enough outbound protection for my level of internet usage, and the way it was laid out. However, after this I did a /clean uninstall there is no more BSOD. I thought this was a stable version from what I read in different Forums, but I have lost my faith in ZA period after this. While reading Zone Labs Forums and other ones, I did see there were many people that were happy with ZA Free so I'm not knocking it. As a matter of fact more and more problems are popping up with th latest version of SKPF as well. Even Comodo Firewall can have it's problems, but at least they are very quick to fix them, and very responsive in their Forum. For that reason alone I feel more than confident in installing the newest release of Comodo due out next week. Only time will tell however, if this was the right move, or if my Windows XP Firewall ends up being the best "Problem Free" Firewall to use. Take care everyone.

14. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Duke1959,
    Not sure if Comodo would have blocked the trojan from the PC, but I think the main fault has to go to my relative who clicked on a pop up window for a Winfixer program by mistake which started the whole problem. I was sick for over the month at the time and was offline when it happened.

That is strange that you are getting the BSOD from using that version of ZA. I have that version installed on an old Windows 98 desktop and the program has never created a BSOD on my system. Memory conflicts and program faults can occur at any point in time on a system depending on what is being run. A lot of users have not had any problems with ZA, but there are some who do have problems. I don't think there is any one program that will run perfectly on every PC in the world. A lot has to do with what settings and running processes are specifically on that particular system. The Comodo help forum and response time is very good from what I can tell from previous postings regarding that program. I am also considering that program for a laptop that only has the XP firewall at this time. But I am looking over several other programs that use less system resources and are more easier to configure.

15. duke1959

In all fairness ccsito, I must say I have installed AOL AVS the Free KAV Antivirus. But I'm almost certain a crash happened one time before installing it as well. I understand programs having conflicts, but not as many as ZA seems to have produced over the the years. Even if it is a conflict with AVS, why should this happen with an Antivirus that's been around for awhile? I doubt it would happen with SKPF 4.2.3 that I have used and liked, or especially Comodo Firewall. One things for sure, if there is a problem with AVS and Comodo after I install that Firewall next week. It would be fixed much faster than either Sunbelt or Zone Labs would fix the problem. Take care ccsito, and stay away from that SafeZone Firewall I saw you posting about. Just kidding, let me know if decide to use it.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  16. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Duke1959,
    One thing that I did not mention in my previous post about ZA is that it sometimes freezes my system on bootup when I move the mouse while my system is loading the Operating System. I think McAfee VirusScan is more the culprit when it happens. I noticed that sometimes either ZA or McAfee will load first on my system tray and if I should even twitch my mouse a little, it freezes the bootup process and I have to reboot again. For some reason, the mouse movement was being processed by the bootup process and conflicted with the ZA and McAfee loading. I always had to make sure that my mouse did not move during bootup or I could be forced to reboot again.:mad: I guess I could get rid of either ZA or McAfee from my system, but they have been there since I got the PC so I am hesitant to remove them in case that process causes other problems. I sometimes get the BSOD randomly at times (such as going to a webpage) but that is rare and I think that McAfee is the cause of those problems because it is trying to scan the webpage. As mentioned in the other thread, Safezone has some issues. The program layout looks clean and simple. But what is inside is what really counts.

17. duke1959

Hey ccsito. Now that you said about your Antivirus scanning a web page, it makes me wonder if that's why I got the BSOD? AOL AVS also scans the web and I wonder if ZA Free conflicts with this at times? As far as uninstalling ZA free, I have had no problems so far. I used the proceedure mentioned here in the Forum of (putting a space first) and then typing /clean to the end of the Target line in the properties of the ZA Free uninstall line in Start, All Programs where ZA short cut resides with my other software. The instructions were easier to follow than writing them just now, so don't worry about my explanation here if you decide to uninstall ZA. I want to try 6.1.744.001 again, but I am looking at the reviews of 6.5.714 and other versions to perhaps install instead by reading the Beta News File Forum reviews listed on them there. Maybe 5.5.094 is the ticket. Anyway take care, and talk to you soon.

18. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Duke1959,
    I wouldn't trust anything from AOL :D (just kidding). But that might be the reason for your BSOD. The earlier version(5.5) of ZA is smaller in size and that would appear to indicate that there is less code in the program and fewer processes in that version. Whether that makes it more stable is undetermined, but I guess it also has to be determined if the later versions include any significant bug fixes that the earlier versions are lacking. I guess the code developer would be the best person to answer that question.

19. duke1959

Hey ccsito I looked at the reviews on betanews fileforum and there was one review of someone claiming they got their first BSOD with version 6.1.744.001. I'm not trying to find ways to criticise ZA Free, and just checking to make sure I'm not the only one who had one. (Well two but who's counting) Anyway I liked ZA Free and have heard good things about some of the Pro versions. However at this time i will be moving on to Comodo. The new release is due out next week, and after it's been out for a day or so I'll install it. Thanks for your help, and I will look forward to seeing more of your posts here in WSF.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  20. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Duke1959,
    I guess ZA will have its supporters and critics. I am sure just about every program will have that. Good luck with Comodo. Since they have revamped it quite a bit with the new release, I think I will wait until the dust settles before I consider trying it out.

21. duke1959

Thanks ccsito. I also will wait until the dust setteles before installing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.