Best way to set up data between 2 hard drives...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Comp01, Oct 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I just recently got a good 9GB drive, I want to hook it up in this PC as master, and the current 6GB as slave, however, I am wondering how I should split the data up, should I put everything (OS, Swap file, and programs) on the 9GB and use the 6GB for personal documents, backups, and mp3's that I've ripped from my CD's? or should I split it up and put my programs on the 6GB and keep the 9GB for the OS and swap file only? - would would be the recommended choice for security/data protection? and for reliability?

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I would put the OS,swap, and programs on the 9GB. Use the 6GB just for data and backups. But really 9GB and 6GB are going to fill up extremely fast. Maybe you should consider something just a little more spacious.

3. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Those HDs are functional, but they are not good. Both HDs are probably junks by today's standards. HDs have finite life (MTBF). Personally, I would spend $20 to $30 for a modern 7200 rpm 30-40GB drive.

You're splitting hair with the 6 and 9 drives. I'd be more concerned about the "age" of both HDs. These things do go out. And those oldies don't have SMART to warn you about impending HD failure.

I suspect you're running W9.x. A full wipe/reload would do more good than any HD configuration/tweak. For data protection, I'd put the OS in one partition, and create another extended logical partition to house everything else. Use the other HD for swap file and backup image files.

4. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Actually, I am running Win2k Pro, I know these drives are old, but you usually can tell when drives are at the end of their life, these, however, sound just as good and work just as well as a 40GB, currently I don't use that much space, and actually the 6GB in this system does have SMART to warn of failure, as does the 9GB, I know all about Mean Time Before Failure ratings, however, I've had an old 1.5GB HD last for 4+ years when I had it (And it was already around the 4-5 years old when I got it.) - I do plan on buying a new 40GB soon, right now this is just a temporary setup, I have a backup system right now (I currently back up to CD-RW.) - I do know a bit about hardware, and I am fully aware of the risk of using older drives.

5. half baked

half baked Guest

I saw a 80GB Western Digital hard drive (w/8mb buffer) on sale this week at Best Buy for $30. US. ;)

6. half baked

half baked Guest

Sorry that 7200rpm 80GB Western Digital HD was on sale last week October 17-23, 2004. But i'm sure another will be on sale soon enough. :)

7. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I wouldn't bet on the condition of the HD simply on its acoustical output. And comparing a 9GB HD with a modern 7200 rpm unit is just plain silly. Even older PCs can take advantage of some of the speed increase found in a modern HD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.