best vpn ? any recommendations?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by happyyarou666, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iran? Cuba? LOL got to check that out.

2. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Actually, one well-known provider (Perfect Privacy) had a legitimate VPN server up and running in Iran for a number of months... so that one is plausible. Cuba and Somalia are the ones I'd be most skeptical about. Cuban internet is VERY heavily regulated by the government, and AFAIK there aren't even any privately-owned web hosting companies in existence there. As for Somalia, their internet infrastructure is among the poorest quality in the world... so even if someone did manage to get a VPN hosted there, it would be painfully slow. :p

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

It's doubtful if OffshoreVPN is for real.

Look at the 'statistics', and the general feel of the website.

Aside from a hoax, wouldn't it be a great opportunity for a US intelligence/LE organization to capture data people want to hide ?

Even if it were for real, would you want to give the authorities in Iran access to your personal data ?

'Offshore' VPNs are a good idea. But who to trust ?

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

You can't "trust" anyone ;)

5. No you can't, but some VPN providers have been tried and tested. Mullvard & Perfect Privacy being two I can name. I'm sure there is more...

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

7. mirimir

It's great that they're publishing these reviews. But their judgement seems poor. For example, they report this about proXPN:

How can they operate in the US, and "promise to never share their logs with anyone, period"?

8. BOFH

BOFH Registered Member

Sorry to revive an old thread and especially as my first non-lurker post, but do you think in regards to payment isolation, that a cash purchased VISA/MC/AMEX gift card is a secure way to pay to your VPN services?

9. justpeace

justpeace Registered Member

10. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

If you can get it to work, sure. The problem is, most of those cards have restrictions on over-seas purchases...and you can't really tell until you open it up and read the fine print insert.

PD

11. mirimir

You really can't tell until you try it. Some providers use PayPal checkout services where no PayPal account is required, and where you can specify which country to use. For US gift cards, you just specify US as the country. However, most providers use PayPal checkout services that require PayPal accounts, so you'll be out of luck.

12. PastTense

PastTense Registered Member

13. mirimir

I've heard people say that they like them. They have several servers, don't charge very much, and accept Bitcoins. But they don't seem very security focused. For example, they don't use user certificates for client authentication. And they only offer one-hop routes.

14. merisi

merisi Registered Member

15. PastTense

Neomailbox looks expensive if you use a significant amount of data: their biggest offering is 25GB/month for $150/year. You can get unlimited for less than that at other places.

16. merisi

merisi Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely look around but to be honest I'm not sure which VPN I'd use I feel more confused if anything else from this thread.

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding "Private Internet Access" it's certainly affordable, but I don't see a monthly data limit stated on their website. Do you know if there is a cap?

18. PastTense

For Private Internet Access, on their joinup page they say:
    " Secure VPN Account
    Encrypted WiFi
    P2P and VoIP Support
    PPTP, OpenVPN and L2TP/IPSec
    Multiple VPN Gateways
    Unlimited Bandwidth
    SOCKS5 Proxy Included
    No traffic logs
    Instant Setup"

I assume unlimited bandwidth means no monthly data limit.

PS. Thanks mirimir.

Any more comments about this service?

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

There's a review here that's essentially positive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNyiDYT7ckA

I found it worth watching since it shows the software install and how it works afterward. There's an icon in the tray when the program is running. A right-click brings up a list of servers which can be selected with a simple left-click. The review also demonstrates that the IP location changes to the appropriate country when a server is selected. As long as performance is consistently good it seems like a very good deal.

Edit: I went ahead and purchased a one year subscription. Installation on my Windows 7 laptop couldn't have been easier and it's working as advertized.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  20. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

ok i see a couple here still being unsure wich vpn to choose , after a year with airvpn now , i can 100% and wholeheartedly say its epic and nothing beats it when it comes to your security, customer support and payment , well bitcoins what else does one need , then theres mullvad , mail cash and bitcoins , well same great security and speed as well , final theres bolehvpn as ive tested it as well and recommend it not sure bout the payment options but i think they support bitcoins as well youd have to go and check , been a while since ive visited them

so whats the verdict after having found my perfect vpns ....for now , well thats simple

airvpn
    mullvad
    bolehvpn

there you have it , keep it goin , peace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.