Best value for PC Speakers?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by JRCATES, Oct 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Don't know if this is the best place to post this or not, but I didn't see any other forum that looked more appropriate.

I'm curious what set of PC speakers others consider as the best "bang for your buck". I'm looking for a 3 piece set (subwoofer and two satellites) that offers great sound and volume, and are priced right (under $100....preferrably more like in the $50 range). I've seen some pretty good prices through buy.com and other sites, but I'd like to know which ones to take a closer look at.

And has anyone heard of or have a set of RSL (Rogersound Lab) speakers? Don't know much about them, other than people who review them think they're great.....

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i have a set of logitech z-3 and i find them plenty loud with lots of bass. theyre between 45-60.

3. JRCATES

Thanks, Fuser. Yeah, I'm looking at a set of Logitechs....as well as Creative, Altec Lansing, RSL, etc.

I kind of wonderered if I would get any repsonses to this question....much appreciate yours', though ;)

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Before I went to 5.1 surround I used Altec Lansing model 221 gaming and theatre speakers. I believe I only paid about $36.00 for them and they performed very well.

5. WSFuser

i also have the altec lansing atp3, but its weaker than the logitechs, has no control pod with microphone port, and cost a bit more (and currently discontinued). theyre not bad for general music listening tho.

6. JRCATES

7. JRCATES

Thanks, bigc and Fuser...

So, anyone else have an opinion?

8. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi JRCATES,

I don't know exactly what your looking for. But, recently I bought a new PC and I ordered the Klipsch Pro Media Ultra 5.1 and the sound is phenominal. I have owned others and and they were good, but these are the best I ever heard yet.

The reason I chose to go with them because Klipsch supplies the Emmy Awards with sound and your movie theaters. If you were ever gonna treat yourself, this would be the perfect time cuz you won't regret it. I will give you a link:
    http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=712

9. WSFuser

klipsch' are the cream of the crop when it comes to speakers, too bad JRCATES is looking for 2.1 speakers for under $100 and preferably around $50. Klipsch has 2.0 speakers for $100 but they received a low score in a review from Maximum PC.

10. JRCATES

Thanks Rilla....believe it or not, I have a home stereo set of Klipsch that I bought in the late 80's that I still have today! They sounded incredible then, and still pretty good today. The bass in Klipsch is almost unmatched (except possibly by Bose) for my money.

Yeah, I'd love to have a pair of Klipsch for my PC....but as WSFuser said, I'm not looking to break the bank. Just wanting good sound with decent volume at an affordable price.

Seriously, though, it seems that over the past 4 or 5 years.....the number of options for PC speakers has dwindled severely. AND the quality and value isn't as good as it once was. It the late 90's, I bought a pair of GNT5000...and they are no longer even around (or else I'd probably just buy a new set). They were a GREAT value for the money (under $40), were loud and sounded great. Some of the PC speakers that I listened to lately aren't as loud, don't sound as good, and cost more money - and there's fewer options.

Anyway, I guess that's what I liked about the RSL....the idea of a company trying to establish itself rather than live of off it's current reputation. And I guess that's why I'm asking others, to see if anyone knows of any great "bargain" speakers that sound like $150 speakers but at a fraction of the cost......

11. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

All right! Klipsch is still kickin!

Have you taken a look at Creatives 2.1 set up yet? You know what a popular speaker is nowadays is Polk Audio.

Good luck in your search, I hope you find what your looking for.:)

Cheers:D

12. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

13. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi JRCATES,

Check out Klipsch GMX A2.1. I use these awesome. MAXIMUM PC gave these speakers a perfect 10 and there kick-ass award. Should be approx. $100 - 150.

Take Care
    rico

14. JRCATES

Thanks, Rico.....and thank you for the LabTec link as well, Nick.

I plan to make a visit to a local CompUSA tomorrow to listen to these speakers (LabTec), and if I decide to go ahead and spend a little more money (probably for a lot better sound and volume) I'm sure I'll listen to the Klisch as well. I noticed that some places have a really good price on their ProMedia 2.1's right now, so if I can afford them, I may go that route (because I'm sure I'l be impressed by them ;) ). I'll also give Logitech's z-2300 2.1 a good side by side comparison test with the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's as well....

Thanks again

15. WSFuser

glad to see ur considering spending some money on good speakers. :D

16. phatkid77

phatkid77 Registered Member

17. phatkid

phatkid Registered Member

18. JRCATES

Thanks, Phatkid.....I appreciate your input as well....but I went with the Klipsch.

The reason was because:

A) I own a set of Klipsch home speakers that I purchased in 1987 that still rock to this day. Therefore, I know and am familiar with the quality of the Klipsch product. They were the best set of "home" speakers at that time, and I'd be willing to bet that they would still rank right up there if compared to a lot of the newer models today, and...

B) I read several reviews (editor's and individual users) before deciding whether to go with the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's or the Logitech Z-2300.....and it seemed that there were more problems among users with the Logitech's than the Klipsch. Since I've had a pair of Klipsch for the many years that I have, I know they are high quality and very durable. Meanwhile, there were quite a few users which said that they experienced problems with the Logitech within about 6 months! Therefore durability played a factor, because the sound was very comparable (still like the Klipsch a little better, though), and...

C) the Klipsch were on sale for about $65 below regular retail.

All in all, I spent the extra cash for what I believe is the best quality and best value, and since they were as low as they've probably ever been priced...I feel pretty good about my purchase. I guess only time will tell for sure, though.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.