Best Uninstall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by JO, Oct 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JO

JO Guest

Well after reading the advice of several members on this forum I've decided to try a couple of different firewalls before deciding on one.

Since I've read here and in other forums that firewalls can be pesky to uninstall I was wondering what some of you would recommend as the best uninstall software you've used.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

I thought there was only one: Ashampoo
    I´m curious what the others come up with.

Regards,

Pieter

3. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

JO,
    I don't use an "uninstaller" myself. I use JV16 and it's tools to clean up leftovers. But I wouldn't consider JV16 an "uninstaller"
    After I do an "uninstall", I restart, run JV16, than I comb through the OS and the registry for leftover entries !!

regards,
    bill ;)

4. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

If you are referring to a certain Firewall(s), which I think you are, I don't think an "uninstaller" program will delete left over reg. entries. Manually editing the registry will work !! ;)

regards,
    bill ;)

5. root

root Registered Member

There is a free program called Total Uninstall that is great. It takes a picture of the registry and maybe system files before you install, then runs the install and then takes another picture, That way you get it all off when you use it to install and uninstall a program.
    I started using it exclusively and I really like it.
    Find it here: http://www.webattack.com/get/totaluninstall.shtml
    You can use it to check out different firewalls and then uninstall with it until you find the right one. :)

6. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Root,
    nice find !! :)

regards,
    bill ;)

7. JO

JO Guest

Thanks. Just what I was looking for.

Now it's time to go start testing those firewalls. :D

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Go with Total Uninstall, as per root. Homebase is at...

http://users.rol.ro/g/gmartau/download/download.html

By the way, I would appreciate some expert opinions as to the method of uninstalling that I have used for some time now. Namely,

#1) First, I uninstall using Add/Remove in Control Panel, and then ....

#2) I ADDITIONALLY uninstall [again] with Total Uninstall. TU almost always picks up a few shards left over by #1, & the doubling up hasn't caused a burp to date.

What do you think?

bellgamin

9. root

root Registered Member

Never tried it that way. I just use total uninstall and then check my registry and file manager. Haven't found anything left yet.
    Your way may have some merit though. I'll give it some thought.

10. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hi Pieter,

AFM I monitor all installs with InCtrl5 and I use UNDOReg after uninstalling the program. (Free)
    There are other tools too, like SystemMechanic for instance (Shareware)

Rgds,

11. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

You all are really amazingly resourcefull.
    To be honest I´ve always done it the way bellgamin described, but I´m going to wait what else you come up with and try some of these out on my testmachine (the poor thing :D)

Regards,

Pieter

12. I use a free download from PC Magazine called Unclean 2.

I use Unclean 2 first, then I do a search for the files leftover and delete those, then I do a system cleaner and evidence washer cleanup, then I use Registy First Aid, then I manually delete leftover entries manually from the registry..

System Cleaner and Evidence Washer: www.allera.com

It usually does a through job., if not, I just reinstall my setup the way it was before by reinstalling my clone. I use Acronis Cloning software for that..

13. root

root Registered Member

Just try Total Uninstall and see if you have any leftovers to clean up. If you used it to install the program, and then uninstalled it, I don't think you'll find a thing. ;)

14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Total Uninstall [TU] is well-named because it does a TOTAL uninstall job.

But I didn't discover TU until a couple of months ago.

Ergo, I have a number of unwanted programs that (a) were installed *PRE-TU*, AND (b) for some unknown reason aren't included on Win's Add/Remove list, AND (c) they have no uninstall process built into them.

Does anyone know a good program for uninstalling these orphan programs?

15. root

root Registered Member

Don't know of any good program for that, but when I find that, I first check in the start>programs>whatever program and see if there's an uninstall there. If not, then in my file manager, I go to the program directory and see if I can find an unwise.exe. If it has one, most of the time when you click it, it will run an uninstaller.
    This might help you with one or two of the programs if you haven't already been down that road. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.