Best Trojan detection by AV software

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Albinoni, Feb 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Among all the AV software out there (free and paid) which one do you think has the best Trojan detection rate. I've heard that KAV actually has a better Trojan detection rate over NOD32 but not sure if this is true, though NOD's virus detection rate might be better.

Also among the free ones which one would have the best Trojan detection rate.

2. waters

waters Registered Member

Re: Best Trojan detection

kAV,and antivir of the free ones.

3. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I second that.
    KAV IME has the best detections period, now before all the NOD fanboys freak out, I realize that NOD's heuristics may catch some before signatures do. But I am speaking on overall. :)

4. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Though, I might add, NOD is getting better and better every day. When I purchased KAV first, two years ago, it easily surpassed NOD, no contest (IMHO). I'm not so sure about it now. I'm seeing quite a bit of instances where NOD gets detection before KAV, lately. Then again I'm not really in the position to technically judge (and I'm not even such a fan of the "antivirus" applications approach in the first place... it has it merits, but I find it foolish to rely too much on them).

5. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

The answer is simply , " Kaspersky " ! They are better at detecting trojans .

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Kaspersky is the best in Trojan detection..... :)

7. According to German Chip magazine Kapersky and Steganos suites have the best trojan recognition ( 100% score in the latest test of suites ).
    The firewall of Steganos was moderate to poor and spyware detection was 29%.

That made that the best suites at this moment according to Chip are (overall ratings) :

1. G Data InternetSecurity 2006
    Easy to operate, good recognition.

2.Bitdefender Internet Security 9
    Very good to operate. Bad spam filter. Free email support

3.Kaspersky Security Suite Personal 2006
    Best recognition. Spyware module not well intergrated.

Suites tested on a pc with AMD Athlon with 1,2 GHz and 512 MB memory.
    Virus detection counted for 30%, Phishing/Spam 25 %, Trojans/Hacker protection 25 %, Ergonomics 20 %.

Prices are high for these packages. Around 70 euro / 80 usd.
    That makes freeware alternatives attractive for the average household.
    Most firewalls are difficult to operate for the large number of consumers.
    Some internet providers give away free antivirus and firewall software or against a small fee.

the test (in gernan) :

http://www.chip.de/artikel/c1_artikel_18192417.html?tid1=21013&tid2=0

8. SSK

SSK Registered Member

I don't understand. Chip seems to have tested Kaspersky Personal Security Suite (KAV 5 / KAH 1.8 / Kaspersky Anti-spam) instead of the upcoming KIS 6 :rolleyes: But they call it KPSS 2006...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  9. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

To me both Kaspersky and BitDefender are the strongest players in trojan detection.

10. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Ewido.net, less bloatware than Kaspersky and with less crazy F/P count.

11. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Because there are hardly any av-test available just now to measure any day protection against trojans too, I'll add DrWeb to these very good performers too because of it's avesome unpacking and heuristics too. Of course Kaspersky is always the top 1 but it's sometimes a bit more buggy than the old good doctor.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

12. Neahe

Neahe Guest

Best regards, Neahe

13. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Sorry a bit of confusiopn here, now this is all becoming double dutch to me. Is a Trojan a virus or not necessary. Also is a Trojan a worm or not necessarry. Ok we all say that KAV is top for Trojan detection, now if you were to give NOD32 awards what would it be for ? Also lets not forget here that NOD32 was the only AV software that was tested by the VB that never missed a beat and did excellent, infact tops. But now what was this test for ?

Also how good is NOD32 when it comes to Virus detection rate and how does it stack up against KAV.

I've heard for Trojan detection even Ewido is excellent.

14. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Ewido is NOT an AV program . It will detect some virii but no where near NOD or KAV . NOD gets the award for catching virii that have not yet been added to a signature database . About even with detection on signatures already in the database . You can and should use Ewido as a backup scanner for differing types of malware . Again . Try NOD and KAV and see which you AND your computer like the best and go from there

15. waters

waters Registered Member

Aug av comparatives highest for trojan was kav,norton,bitdifender and antivir,i think

16. waters

waters Registered Member

Sorry,and nod

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I've used both. NOD32 for two years and KAV and KIS 2006 beta since last June. I wouldn't choose either. I think BD is superior to both FOR ME BUT NOT NECESSARILY FOR YOU. I have used BD free for over a year and switched recently to BD Pro 9. Both NOD32 and KIS 2006 beta, reduce my fast broadband, that I pay a lot for, to a crawl. I get only ONE THIRD of my normal speed when using either of these AVs. With BD Pro 9, I get my full speed. Support for BD is excellent. There is email, free phone and their chat has won awards. BD is completely on par with KAV and NOD32 now for detection of both viruses and trojans. It updates 24 times every 24 hours.

I think any decision among the current top three (NOD32, BD and KIS/KAV 2006) should be based on factors other than how good the detection rate is. It is excellent for all three. They are in a three way tie. So, one should look to other factors when making a decision. Obviously, KIS 2006 doesn't slow everyone's internet speed as much as it does mine. So, for some KIS might be the choice. I think one needs to look at the GUI also. I like BD's GUI the best. It is by far, for me, the easiest to use. How often these update and how easy the updates are is another thing to look at. BD does require every few days (with one of the hourly updates) that the computer be rebooted. I don't like that and it does seem to happen more frequently with BD. Anyhow, I think one should decide among these three based on how each runs on their computer and which GUI, etc. one prefers.

18. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Haven't had any FP's with kav useing extended bases.

19. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

norton should be just as good as kaspersky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.