best spyware proggie

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by headquarter, Dec 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headquarter

headquarter Registered Member

Hi:what is the best spyware programs
    that Really work
    freeware or shareware it doesn,t matter
    peace.

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi headquarter,

For the moment I use Spybot S&D for cleaning and Spywareblaster for prevention.
    Links and info can be found here: http://www.wilders.org/spyware.htm

Regards,

Pieter

3. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I also use Spybot S&D. It works great. I haven't tried Spywareblaster yet.

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I have the same two programs that Pieter has.I recommend them both.You will get excellent support from both developers!A lot of times you can get answers to any questions in this forum.These developers are active in looking for new spyware to target.I have tried a few spyware programs and in my opinion these programs are the best.

5. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

SpyBot as well.

I'm pretty active at the Lavasoft board, SpyBot forums, as well as at the independent Spywareinfo.com, and I therefore think I'm in a pretty good position to compare the merits of those two, and others, and SpyBot does by far the best job.

Detection for new baddies gets added within days. What more
    could you wish for?

6. john2g

john2g Registered Member

SpyBot here, as well

7. CARCHARODON

CARCHARODON Registered Member

What happened to lavasoft (Adaware)o_O The haven't released an update since september.. I know their web site is still up... are they done with adaware?

8. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Lavasoft decided to not update adaware while they finish up AAW6. That was three months ago and the spyware companies have been going nuts.

Too bad about all those people who paid $15 USD for the Plus version, just to have it not be updated.

9. Yea, Too True , I would have rather given my $15 to spybot , which I will donate too for xmas , as he does a neat job and service for anyone who wants this protection on there pc Same goes for javacool, ,

PS I hope everyone has a peaceful time this xmas and doesnt get too wiped out or blown away by the rush, May Peace reside in your hearts, Kind regards , Robert

10. My Nephew, aged 14, had Gator, and other spyware on his machine.. AdAware would not be able to remove it, and for some reason, Gator would simply create itself over when it was deleted.. I installed Spybot S&D, and had to run it twice, but it FOREVER deleted Gator! Yay! Spybot is my new spyware detector! My nephew has a Win ME Compaq Presario..
    :cool:

11. mjc

mjc Registered Member

Spybot here too....was a loyal AAW user for quite some time, but the lack of updates has really made its usefullness questionable.

12. octogen

octogen Registered Member

One more for Spybot. It is quite good. I will also give a donation. ;)

13. canuk

canuk Registered Member

Hope I'm in the right place to ask this, if not feel free to move it. I am currently using adaware/adwatch. Can I also use Spybot at the same time or will there be a conflict. Thanks

14. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

No, there won't be a conflict.

Just use SpyBot for scanning on demand.

But once again, the present version of Ad-Aware is pretty useless
    as a first line of defense against spyware, as it hasn't been updated for 3 months.

You might as well uninstall your present version of Ad-Aware and wait for AAW 6.0, as that will almost certainly require a fresh install anyway.

15. canuk

canuk Registered Member

Thanks Tony. I'll download Spybot now. :)

16. Luthorcrow

Luthorcrow Registered Member

Sybot S&D and Spywareblaster here as well. Another nice feature of S&D that is lacking Adaware is that it not only finds bugs but also suggestions various data, temp, cache files that can deleted for privacy reasons.

17. wink

wink Registered Member

Hi,

I used to use Ad-Aware until I stumbled across Wilderssecurity, I installed Spybot S&D and it was by far superior to what I had been using, I have downloaded SpywareBlaster but have yet to install it, I have quite a lot running in the system tray and I am in 2 minds whether to add more.

Should I install SpywareBlaster? Is the difference it makes noticable? ie., will I be notified of blocked spy's as and when they occur?

Sorry to post questions within the thread but I dodn't think it worthwhile enough a question for a dedicated topic.

Thanks and Merry Christmas....

18. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi wink,

Spyware Blaster prevents certain and databased spyware from being installed, thus there will be no alert.

Since SB is a "one time set up" program (apart from updates), it's merely a question of installing, enabling - and that's it - nothing running in the background. I for one would recommend installing it ;).

regards.

paul

19. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Anyone using the resdident part of Spybot&Destroy??

Ruben

20. JayK

JayK Poster

Let's see what spybot resident does.
    And see if it's worth using

Basically a homepage guard, not really critical IMHO if you have reasonably high security settings and don't click yes on everything :) .Spybot should pick homepage hijackers up by detection anyway if you run it weekly (and you shoud!) and Spywareblaster should immunise you , unless you are unlucky and get a early strain.

Hmm might be useful, except I could simply lock the files by making them read only?

This might actually be worth having. Depends on how it is done.What are suspicious processes?Anything you don't allow? Does it allow you to lock down applications/processes that can run?

Most personal firewalls only actively monitor applications when they try to dial out/connect to the net but gives no protection against malware that are just working within the system. Some firewall exploits make use of this by first "riding on" trusted programs (IE for example) within the system before connect to the net..

The newer generation of firewalls (Kerio 3 beta is supposed to have this) have strict "application control" to make it harder for unknown processes to run without permission on the computer. This seems to be what spybot resident does.

If you have Tiny Trojan trap it's even better.which actually blocks actions based on behaviour...

I'm not trying to knock Spybot resident. But many of us run a lot of memory resident protection programs. It might actually be worth something depending on funtionality ,stability and how resource hungry it is.

I mean some of us run resident antivirus,antitrojan,HTTP local proxy (proxo,webwasher etc),firewall, maybe a annymous proxy application,registry/script protection filtering/sandbox ,cookie manager,popup killer,eraser wiping free space etc... :D

In such situtations adding even one more piece of software can be a strain even on the fastest system and it's best to consider whether it is worth to add yet another piece of software to the mix espically if their functions overlap. (some overlap is good though like firewall,host file)And I havent even mention compatiability issues!

That's why i kind of prefer passive measures (host files, script-trap) and scan on demand ( i even go without antivirus resident sometimes) if possible. Let's face it, most of the security problems are caused by careless actions (clicking yes, when you should click No) , and in such situations a truckload of memory resident programs running still won't save you.

PS I have no idea what I'm talking about...So feel free to ignore me.

21. Paul Wilders

Hi Jay,

Doesn't seem that way to me ;).

regards.

paul

22. JayK

JayK Poster

Hi Paul. The Forum admin himself... I'm honoured..

Thanks. I guess it's easy to fake it :D if you have being reading on and off

Wilderseccurity forums
    Spywareinfo forums
    DSL reports
    alt.privacy.spyware
    alt.security.pgp
    alt.comp.virus
    comp.security.firewalls

plus various forums relating to specific security software. I use or might use.

Still a beginner though...

Jayk

23. Paul Wilders

Calculated guess - and rightly so as it turns out ;).

We're all beginners to some extend :D

regards.

paul

24. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Chalk up another for SpyBotS&D; SpywareBlaster; BrowserHijack; MRU Blaster; IDBlaster.

They are the 'general spy' proggies used by me for protection
    plus:
    TDS3 [can't wait for TDS4]
    Wormguard [ditto]
    Kerio PFW
    AV.

The Javacool tools are simply the best, simple, easy, and they WORK.

BrowserHijack runs and protects IE against attempting hijacking + it will alert you if any attempts, but also checks for new BHO's and notify of such. You start it, minimise to sys tray and it uses bugger all resources. I leave it running 24/7

My $0.02 worth. Cheers.

25. sk

sk Registered Member

Paul - one quick question: How can SB 'do' anything if it's not running in the background? TIA.

sk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.