Best spyware/adware/malware blocker?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Ailric, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Hi folks,

I have been looking around for some time for a program that will run alongside my AV and block malware in real time. Of course I run the trio of Ad-aware, Spybot and Spywareblaster but the first two are primarily intended for scanning AFTER infection. I sometimes help my friends with computer problems by installing and cleaning with the trio, but they always get re-infected. With CWShredder no longer in development, a resident antispyware shield is becoming a necessity.

What program would you recommend to BLOCK malware? (i.e. CoolWebStink, etc.) I'm giving Spysweeper a run around the block and see how it performs. ;)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you might try spywareguard. You can get it here It is a javacool program.

3. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Spybot 1.3 comes with a resident protection module called Teatimer, which intercepts certain registry changes and lets you block spyware upon activation. It does seem to give false positives under some situations, though.

SpywareGuard is good, if you can tolerate a little bit more RAM being eaten up.

I also reccomend SpywareBlaster, which can prevent crapware from getting on your computer in the first place. It's not "realtime protection"; it doesn't have to be running all the time, though. A very handy tool, it is.

4. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

It is the best blocker around. but I need to rest my case, little affiliated to them.

6. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Ailric
    spyware guard is great --have a good day :)
    Rita

7. tImEwArP

tImEwArP Guest

Along with the above recommendations, i would recommend WinPatrol for blocking Malware (and not just spyware) http://www.winpatrol.com A great little program that helps to block spyware, adware, trojans ect... from ever getting on your computer to begin with. Free and pay versions are available. A new version of WP (8.0) will soon be released with some improvements as well as Firefox support.

8. Moore

Moore Registered Member

The very best blocker is yourself , take care where you go online and be aware of whats running on your computer.

For me the HOSTS Files from HP GURU and MVPS.org are the very best free basic protection you can get , both specifically block malware and are updated regularly :

http://webpages.charter.net/hpguru/hosts/hosts.html
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Then the free programs System Safety Monitor , Spyware Blaster and Winpatrol work great together to block and detect programs you dont want installed.

The very best shareware program would have to be Regrun Gold , using file protection and the black list to block all new programs from installing , its loaded with features to protect your computer.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/regrungold.html

Outpost Firewall set to block active scripting and Blockpost loaded with the spyware blocklists should help make it almost impossble for any *ware to get in at all in the first place.

I guess everyone will have their own favourite ways and programs, these above work great for me.

9. owziee

owziee Registered Member

Ad-Aware Professional has Ad-watch which blocks malware in real-time. It locks down sensitive areas in memory & in the registry & blocks hijack attempts, forced installations, drive by downloads & activeX in real-time.

I also believe it uses the same reference file as Ad-Aware to scan in real-time.

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Like how much more RAM? Just wondering I have considered this one. But worried about conflicts and always resource useage on all security products?

11. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

SpySweeper 3.0 has been fairly solid for me.

Ewido Plus looks to be pretty impressive, but it hasn't been released yet.

Adaware SE was supposed to be out on 7/15 based on a post from IAMSKINZ a while back. I think it added some heuristics to the mix.

12. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Are you sure you're using the programs right? When you enable the "Restricted Sites" protection of SWB it disables allowing all malicious actions of the sites in its database meaning that all those coolwwwsearch sites cannot take ANY inappropriate actions on your computer which means no installation of any of the coolwwwsearch trojans. You don't need CWShredder!! Those three programs you mentioned, (along with outdated av) were all I used for a long time without a problem. Just make sure you're enabling all protections available and you should be ok for the most part.

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

While I have never used it, Pest Patrol is starting to gain in reputation (oops, wasn't thinking, does PP run in real time?).

Acadia

14. tImEwArP

tImEwArP Guest

Pest Patrol has a feature called "Mem Check" that scans in real time for malware as well as "Cookie Patrol" that detects tracking cookies and automatically deletes them.

15. haraldo

haraldo Registered Member

Don't forget Security Task Manager . It displays all running processes and services with a security rating. It do not rely on a database, so it finds new, unknow malware, too.

16. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.