Best solution for older PC?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Zimzi, Oct 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Yes I know this was discussed a few times but, please, consider this topic as a kind of recapitulation of previous similar topics. :D

What is the best antivirus solution for older PC (Celeron 800 Mhz, 256 RAM, Windows 98/Me):

EZ Antivirus 2005 - AVG Free - Avast Free - Some other lite and free antivirus tool

Thanks in advance and do not forget - your opinion is important! :D

2. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

If you are a reasonably safe surfer, EZ will do the trick and is very light. The others Avast & AVG, would be okay (better detection IMO) and also DrWeb (paid).
    Not sure what effect Avast would have on 800mhz with 256mb ram, probly minimal though.

3. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

EZ or F-Prot will do the trick. Just use the trials and see what you like best. Remember you can register EZ free if you're legit Microsoft Windows user :)

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

5. tansu

tansu Registered Member

One of my system is celeron 400 and 126 MB ram, I run mcafee virusscan enterprise 8.0i, mcafee snti-spyware module 8.0, opera as web browser, windows SP2 and firewall, and Ad-Aware se Personal
    And thats the best security configurtaion I found. I tried the above comments before, but this is the lightest solution.
    Also Nod32 is fine but not as much as mcafee virusscan enterprise 8.0i

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Unfortunately this is not available to the majority of Home users.
    But NOD is a commercial scanner.

F-prot for DOS or Dr Web's CureIT would be a good backup for your Win 98 system, together with the free eTrust EZ AV as your primary scanner, if you are a safe surfer. If you visit more risky sites then Avast or Antivir may be a better choice than EZ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.