Best settings for PerfectDisk 8

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Olio1, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olio1

Olio1 Registered Member

Hi,

In PerfectDisk 8, are the default settings (see below) optimal ?
    If not, which settings would you recommend ?

Thanks for your help ;)

26-10-2007_151705.jpg

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I think as much as possible to the inner rim of the drive,i would suggest 14 days for rarely modified files.But others think different i guess.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I just use defaults, as I defrag more frequently. Very rarely I will check the aggressive box.

Pete

4. Olio1

Olio1 Registered Member

14 days and 30 days : these are the thresholds I would like to try but they may be too agressive... and inefficient. :(

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

30 days and 90 days - you might also consider using Returnil. You basically set up your OS and programs the way you want them, clean registries etc, then finally defrag and turn Returnil protection on. That way every time you reboot c:
    is as perfectly defragmented as makes no difference.

6. Olio1

Olio1 Registered Member

Hi Long View,

30 and 90 days, these are the settings you recommend ?
    Why ?

P.S : Thanks for the tip about Returnil.

7. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Firstly I'm not sure that it really makes all that much difference. At 90 days for yellow I get 50% more yellows and the same number of red. Blue still takes up at least 80%. I should point out that I'm talking about my system programs drive here - data is kept on another drive. How it works with data (which is constantly changing and being moved) being mixed in with more stable programs and OS I wouldn't know.

Another point about Returnil nil. Yesterday there was another discussion about compressing files under NTFS. with Returnil on I compressed C: from about 6.5 gig to 5.5 gig PD showed the drive as 27% fragmented. I then defragmented and tested. Finding no speed improvement I rebooted and C: was back to 6.5 gig almost perfectly fragmented as before. So unless you plan long sessions there is no need for any of these clever defrag programs which defrag in the background. I tend to automatically reboot every time I go for coffee or take a break.

8. Olio1

Olio1 Registered Member

Thanks again for your input. Very instructive! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.