Best security for personal use?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by VictorNono, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You can do what you want by creating separate sandboxes to separate programs. That feature is available in SBIE, it works great. As of this moment, I am doing what you described above as I have Firefox in one sandbox and my EMail client in another one. None of what I do in one sandbox affects the other one.

Bo

2. VictorNono

VictorNono Registered Member

Read about that but couldn't figure it out.

But maybe browsers installed with portableapps already are sandboxed, because it relocates data in a separate folder. So there's no need.

3. bo elam

In the free version, you can create as many sandboxes as you want but you can only use one at a time. In the paid version, you can use multiple sandboxes at the same time. So, you can use separate sandboxes for what you described, you just cant use them at the same time. If you attempt to use both sandboxes at the same time, Sandboxie issues SBIE message 1303.

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?SBIE1303

I dont believe portables browsers are sandboxed but you can run them sandboxed using Sandboxie. I use portable Libre office and Foxit and run them in their own sandbox, setting the sandboxes according to the program.

Bo

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  4. VictorNono

http://www.sandboxie.com/?PortableSandbox requires sandboxie to be installed on every used computer. This means that the registry keys required for the game to run only works, when sandboxie is installed. Seems a bit complicated that you can't just launch it prior to the portable app

5. bo elam

Victor, I uninstall games when I get a new computer so I have never installed or run games sandboxed but you should be able to do it by either, 1) Running games that are installed in your system in a sandbox or 2) Installing them in a sandbox to be kept for as long as you want, deleting the sandbox to get rid of them when you don't want to keep them anymore. Keep in mind that most games/programs install sandboxed but some don't. For example, you should have no problem running or installing sandboxed the portables browsers that you mentioned earlier. Games?, games that install drivers or services wont install sandboxed.

Bo

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

It is knowledge.
    Understand how things work.
    Mrk

7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

not to mention that it only takes less than 4 minutes to image my Windows 8 partition and about 50 seconds for my Linux Mint partition.
    faster than that to restore.

which makes thing like Rollback pretty much useless when it takes this little time to image/restore a system.

8. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

yeah, with such with speeds... :thumb:

9. VictorNono

You don't get it. Have you tried Rollback RX? Because it only takes seconds plus you get multiple images to swap between!

Fx. When you restore an image, that's it. But when you rollback, you choose a layer and then you select to keep some documents here and there from current layer. Doing that on image-restore will probably take you 15 minutes.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have indeed tried Rollback Rx. It made imaging a real pain, and for me prove not totally reliable.

It's clear you are a Rollback fan, and that is fine, but it is not indeed for everyone, and frankly will never replace imaging.

Pete

11. VictorNono

A harddisk has a transfer limit. When you put your apps/data on other portable drives, you get: 1) a clean system that only needs driver updates, 2) a faster system because system processes and apps data use are using different harddrives (not just different partitions on system drive) 3) all your stuff doesn't need to be copied to be used on a new computer (flexible)

So when the system has Rollback RX it doesn't need sandboxie. Maybe sandboxie would protect the other drives from a rotten apple among the apps. But 1) virus rarely target other drives than C; 2) when a bug freezes or crashes the system, the screw-up will be current downloads/savings, and when they are kept on an isolated partition, they won't ruin the partition with apps/datas. And sandboxie doesn't block autorun.inf, "System Volume Information" or recycle files that mostly are crap.

You might be surprised about how much already run from portable without certain default installs. Fx. there's portable java. And if drivers really need to be installed, it can easily be done with a few clicks by using batch files running silent installs with no restart. Click, click an .Net + directX is installed...

12. VictorNono

Rollback RX is probably not the best security for every system. But why should a computer at home for entertainment need imaging?

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It doesn't until.........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.