Best scanner for mounted drives or live boots?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Russell Milligan, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell Milligan

Russell Milligan Registered Member

I was trying to troubleshoot a friend's computer that was so far gone it was totally unusable.

I of course ended up going with the backup data and reformat option, but I was wondering if there was an anti-virus scanner that would work well from a live-boot, or if you had a USB SATA reader and mounted a hard drive. I had a computer at work that I thought might be compromised, and I poured over the drive with sleuthkit and couldn't find anything, but really wished I had some kind of scanner that might work.

On the friends computer, just because I like playing with new tools, I tried a bunch of different things, Dr Web live CD (had a heck of a time getting it to boot and run, kept freezing,) tried AVIRA Rescue CD, which seemed pretty slick, but it was very slow to run, and the computer shut off part way through the scan (I began to suspect an overheating processor at this point.) I tried HISEN's Rescue Disk, and again, the computer died.

Anyways, at work with that drive I had sleuthkited, I also tried to run ClamAV, since Google said that it can do things like mounted drive scans. It scanned through, and found 7 vulnerabilities, but near as I can tell, all 7 of them were false positives, so that doesn't seem like a very good option.

Thoughts?

2. porrkanon

porrkanon Registered Member

ive had great luck with kaspersky rescue disk from usb stick. a full scan takes a while though

3. Russell Milligan

Russell Milligan Registered Member

Alright, I'll give that a try, thanks!

I don't know if you use the live thumbdrive enough to care, but a USB3.0 drive (assuming you aren't already using one) will speed things up immensely, even on a 2.0 host port. I was trying to make a live Kali usb drive with persistence, and whenever I tried to run it with persistence it ran horribly, so I got a 3.0 thumbdrive and it screams now =)

4. porrkanon

porrkanon Registered Member

thanks, yeah its on a usb2 stick but ive got several usb3 ones lying around so might put it there :) - although id suspect everything is stored in ram during operation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.